Finally a TV For Gaming? – Part 2

James

Buy 2018 QLED TV:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/aQhlse
On Newegg: http://geni.us/noPb

This spring, Freesync 2 variable refresh rate support came to the Xbox One S and Xbox One X- but there were no TVs to go along with it! Now, Samsung has added Freesync support to its 2018 QLED TVs, including the Q9F. Is this the gaming TV we always wanted?

1) people can game and have been gaming on monitors without variable refresh rate for decades with no problem. You do not need variable refresh rate to have a good gaming experience. A low latency tv without variable refresh rate is no different from a monitor without variable refresh rate. So no, you do not need to spend $3k on a samsung tv just because it has variable refresh rate to game on it. You can game just fine on a non-vrr tv like the $600 NU7300.

2) Freesync is on other samsung tvs, not just the QLED lineup. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8500 The 12Hz range is almost useless, so until that improves in the future it's almost as if the tvs had no vrr. So don't waste your money on this tv and just buy a far cheaper 6000 or 7000 series instead.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Awesome! I can finally have a tv that is better suited for gaming use!

image.png.bae3443409cb3d0be78ce3a8e5fa814a.png

NVM....

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Never .. ever ...ever.. recommend a QLED Tv to someone. Please.

They are HUGELY overpriced for what they are.

$3000 for a 65" LCD display (or even $1600 for a 55"), you'd have to be clinicaly insane or ignorant of what else you could get, if you were to buy one.

Once you hit the price of an OLED, there is ZERO reason to buy any LCD display ,including QLED as an average user.

And in this instant, with FreeSync as the topic, a 12 frame freesync range is ..well ..pointless. And the whole 1080p bit, again pointless, aint no1 gunna be running 1080p on a 55" let alone a 65".

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

At least they didn't call it

Samsung Series (x) 55" GAMING TV

and slap 1billion lumen RGB stips all over it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

Once you hit the price of an OLED, there is ZERO reason to buy any LCD display ,including QLED as an average user.

There's one. 

Lifespan. 

I'm the type of guy who keeps TVs up to a decade, so lifespan is important. And OLED isn't yet at that level where I am completely confident that it can deliver years and years of enjoyable viewing experiences without burning in prematurely. A lot of the channels I watch have static channel logos, so I'm not confident on OLED's ability to handle that without prematurely wearing. 

Thankfully, I'm not in the market for a new TV, so perhaps by the time I have to change, self-luminant QD panels would already be a thing. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I'm no expert in TV motherboards but I do know the high end ones have video memory. I assume that the point of TVs are to make crappy cable TV shows look good, the insides of a TV are to like upscale and fill in pixels so Geico can look good selling their rubbish on your 60' TV.

So to get absolutely smooth, high quality frame rates, for GAMING aren't really what they are designed for. The number of people willing to spend upwards of $2000 on a GAMING TV are pretty low, I guessing the cost of supplying a GAMING TV outweighs the demands.  

A quick fix would be open up a TV, bypass the onboard video memory connect it directly to the screen connector and hope it don't go pop.

... More research is needed ?