[Update] Chegg Data Breach Resets 40M passwords due to Data Breach

Ryujin2003

Chegg started notifying customers about a data breach that occurred in April 2018. Chegg didn't explicity state what information is compromised, but only that "some" had potentially been. This is not good considering the size of the consumer base that Chegg has globally, not just inside the US. With account information such as financial data, address, and other personally identifiable information, I'm not too happy.

Here is the letter they sent out.

Notice of Data Breach

Hello,
We recently discovered that some data from your Chegg.com account, or one of its family of student services, may have been acquired by an unauthorized party, and I wanted to reach out to you directly to inform you of what happened and what we are doing to protect your information. While our investigation into this matter continues, we are letting you know now because we value our relationship with you and we take the security of your information seriously.
What Happened?
On September 19, 2018, we learned that, on or around April 29, 2018, an unauthorized party gained access to one of our databases that hosts user data. An investigation, supported by a third-party forensics firm, was commenced. We have determined that some of your account information may have been obtained, which is why you are receiving this notice.
What Information Was Involved?
Our understanding is that the data that may have been obtained could include your name, email address, shipping address, Chegg username, and hashed Chegg password. Our current understanding is that no financial information such as credit card numbers, bank account information, or social security numbers was obtained.
What We Are Doing
We will prompt you to change your Chegg.com password upon login. If your password has been changed on or after September 26th, 2018, you will not be prompted to change it again.
What You Can Do
In addition, it is always good practice to use different passwords for different online accounts. To the extent that you used the same password on any websites or apps that you used on your Chegg account, we recommend changing those passwords as well.
Also, please review the enclosed “Information about Identity Theft Protection” attachment for steps you can take to help protect yourself against risks associated with identity theft generally.
For More Information
We understand you may have questions. Find more information at this link or contact us at 1-855-581-9880.
I wanted to reiterate that we take the security of our users’ information seriously and value the relationship we have with each and every Chegg user.
Thank You,
zrffjmtdzrmkzpgpkblgckdtbfkrzljcffpjzvck
Dan Rosensweig,
CEO of Chegg, Inc.

They give the general recommendations such as changing your passwords and getting with Equifax and company to check your credit for any illicit activity.

So thankfully, this website didn't collect my SSN. And every card I did have associated is long since expired. I haven't used the site in quite some time. I understand this type of thing happens, but I really wish that it was easy to delete my account when I decide I no longer need their services. I get books cheaper on Amazon, Amazon delivers faster, and their customer service experience is better. I have no need for Chegg, and most people I know that use it, are doing it for free answers to homework (free being used loosely since you do pay for that feature).

I'm glad they notified everyone, but I wish their wording was clearer. Did they find out on the 19th and launch an investigation at that time? Did they launch it immediately? Or did they know since the 19th and took until today to send out notifications?

I do hope they are open about how someone got access to databases. I guess it's nice that their passwords weren't stored in plain text, so there's that I guess.

Change passwords, change to a different provider of books? The power is yours.

Source: An Email I received. (Will update with additional information later)

[Update 1]

In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the company said it will reset all user passwords after hackers gained access to the company’s customer database. That database includes users for Chegg’s website but also other products, such as citation service EasyBib, which it owns.

The breach occurred in April, but was only discovered a week ago.

Hackers stole usernames, email addresses, shipping addresses and hashed passwords, the company said, but doesn’t believe that financial data was taken.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/26/chegg-resets-40-million-user-passwords-after-data-breach/

Chegg said it first learned of the breach on September 19 and plans to start notifying approximately 40 million registered users and regulatory authorities about the incident.

“Chegg takes the security of its users’ information seriously and will be initiating a password reset process for all user accounts,” the company said in the SEC filing.

But Phil Hill, an ed tech consultant who first spotted the SEC form, reported that Chegg had not started the notification process, even after the 8-K filing.

“I get that the company needs to notify the SEC, being a publicly traded company, but they certainly are not notifying the public very well. Seems focus is on guidance for stock price, not transparency,” said Hill, according to ZDNet.

https://www.pymnts.com/news/security-and-risk/2018/chegg-data-breach/

So, they were hacked, and are now resetting all of these passwords manually. That's great, but the damage is already done. Why the hell do they keep social security numbers is what I want to know. Also, their other services don't appear to be segregated unless there were multiple breach points. Not sure why they would keep different services together. Separate that shit because of this reason.

I agree with Mr Hill here. Googling, the majority of what I find is them taking a hit in the stock market because of this. No public acknowledgement or notification beyond the email. That is pretty shitty. They should have a headline in mainstream media to get the word out... Very disappointing. Glad I don't use their services any longer.

Just now, HarryNyquist said:

How long before it comes out that the username/password to the database was "root/password" or something equally dumb?

I give them about a month. That's long enough for people to "forget".

It's probably from some app they installed for advertisement revenue. My best guess.

well i used their services in like august to pay for textbooks, so hopefully i'm not affected by this breach. but now this sounds a bit concerning.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

11 minutes ago, terrytek said:

well i used their services in like august to pay for textbooks, so hopefully i'm not affected by this breach. but now this sounds a bit concerning.

If they were breached in April and didn't find out until now, I'd go with the assumption that they were potentially vulnerable to continued access until now.

I woke up to that email on my phone. Not a good start to my day. :|

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Another company I have never heard about before.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

hashed Chegg password

At least one person did their job well, the others maybe not so

I'm no longer using their service after this. I can't respect a company that doesn't take their cyber security seriously.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx