Chalenge for Linus: Build a PC for DaVinci Resolve 15

Hello Linus & Linus Team,

I have a challenge for you.

Your Mission: Help and explain to editors (like me) how to build a Generic PC for real-time Color Correction and editing 4k (DCI or UHD) video inside DaVinci Resolve 15 Studio! I mean the best combinations of motherboard/CPU/RAM/Nvidia Card. We handle the rest of the components.

Budget: Optimized! ( I mean not over 7000 €)

Constraints:

Read the DaVinci Resolve 15 Recommendations (see the file included), especially chapter "Generics PC" starting page 17 and jump after page 36,

Should be a Generic PC with Window 10,

SSD Raid 0 or M.2 Raid 0, or U.2 Raid 0 hard drives,

Use of 2 (two) Nvidia CUDA graphic cards, like M4000, Titan, K6000, etc...

Thunderbolt 3 connectors for external video hard drives (mandatory).

Discussion (most important):

Apparently, the Specs inside the DaVinci Resolve 15 are a bit outdated, regarding certain guys on the Internet. As I have not your knowledge, I am asking to God "Linus" to have a look at this. The recommendations for a generic PC page 36, start with:

an Asus X299 Deluxe Mother Board, Intel-X series Processor on LGA 2066 Socket, 64 Gb minimum of Ram.

or an X399 AORUS Gaming 7 with 1950X AMR Ryzen 16 core, 64Bg Ram

Here come difficulties for me:

DaVinci Resolve is not good when dealing with hi-res video. It's okay when you start a timeline, but the software is lost when you do some Color Corrections and try to play the sequence at 24/25/30 frame per seconds.

They talk page 17-18, about 44 lanes (?), the use of PCI 16x, etc. How can we handle those specs?

Is the last Intel i9 7900 enough for this?

Is there really an incompatibility between AMD processor and the Nvidia CUDA GPU?

What is the best combination of RAM/processor?

I like the idea to have a RAID of SSD or M/U.2 cards. What is the best way to do that, with the motherboard you have chosen?

Conclusion:

We can find some expensive solutions there and there, but I will be glad to have your opinion on this "technical" configuration, as you are a Guru and a reference for us.

Pay attention: Resolve 15 free version has some restrictions regarding the Resolve 15 Studio ($299).

Best regards,

Marc André

Paris, France.

DaVinci_Resolve_15_Configuration_Guide.pdf

Just tagging @LinusTech here to even have a remote chance of him seeing this. That said, LMG already uses 10-core i7 workstations with Titan cards and a ton of RAM for their Premiere workload. I don't think Resolve would perform that differently (in fact, probably worse). Not to mention all the servers and 10gig connections for the video footage.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro