Possibly Raytracing for Everyone

Thorgs

I just browsed through the Release Notes of the new Geforce Driver and found this part.

VK_NVX.thumb.JPG.19570460b86a509d8503b9a6a1dc1f37.JPG

Yes it is a Nvidia Card only feature it looks like and yes it only works in Vulkan.

But this is great News potentially for everyone. Because having it implemented on a Software level in Vulkan means we will have some backwards-compatibility with older Hardware, Linux Support and it makes Vulkan a much more interesting API then Direct3D for developers.

And for the AMD side it even better news. I am sure AMD has something up its sleeve and it could be something like Raytracing.

Having Nvidia supporting more and more Vulkan features on its own Cards/Drivers gives AMD a good chance to close the gap because of the way AMD's GPU communicate on a more Hardware level with the API then through the driver.

This was a disadvantage for AMD in the past with DX11 but with Vulkan and maybe even DX12 this is a totally different Story.

Most likely the Software Version of Raytracing will not perform as good as if it would run in the dedicate Cores.

But in comparison to Nvidia's PhysX i think Raytracing has a bigger chance of being adapted by developers in the environment of Vulkan than PhysX ever had to its launch and because Raytracing never was a Nvidia only feature.

Maybe you might notice but i am more hyped about Vulkan in general than Raytracing, this is becuase of the impact a good Hardware close API will have on the industry.

AMD already has ray tracing stuff in their driver stack. But this ray tracing is going to be many times slower than Turing because it doesn't have the dedicated hardware.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

AMD already has ray tracing stuff in their driver stack. But this ray tracing is going to be many times slower than Turing because it doesn't have the dedicated hardware.

Yes, that was what i was thinking. We don't relay know the performance impact of it in games for now. Maybe a "Ultra" Setting of ray tracing is overkill for almost very normal Setup and low is the way to go. And maybe low dos run some how fine on non RTX Cards too.

32 minutes ago, Thorgs said:

Most likely the Software Version of Raytracing will not perform as good as if it would run in the dedicate Cores.

Most likely it will be used for creating interesting static image screenshots from games.

Who cares if game runs at 3 FPS if screenshot looks great? :)

16 minutes ago, Thorgs said:

Yes, that was what i was thinking. We don't relay know the performance impact of it in games for now. Maybe a "Ultra" Setting of ray tracing is overkill for almost very normal Setup and low is the way to go. And maybe low dos run some how fine on non RTX Cards too.

I just can't see it being that useful in game if settings are lowered that much. Maybe for professional stuff? IDK

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Also, double topic : LINK.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

>Everyone

There's more to nvidia than Pascal, Volta and Turing.

Although I'd love to see a Titan X try and give RT a go.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

All graphics card can do ray tracing. Ray tracing is nothing new, and done in the movie industry and sometimes in pre-redered videos in games.

The problem is that you need massive computational power. That is why it is not used in games, as it is impossible to do it in real time, while making the game playable and understandable.

The advantage of the RTX is more for developers than gamer. Developers don't need to spend days on end trying to lighting tricks to convince us of basic realism things such a reflections, and actually focus on other things on the game.  The gamer gains ore realistic visuals with still playable frame rates, which can be applied to any game graphical direction and style. Even if the game looks like a Mario game, you can actually have proper water reflections, proper mirror reflections, better and easier to implement global illuminations and so on. Now, it is probably useless in competitive games, as many gamer plays the game at minimum settings to get 500fps, and the game is so fast moving that you don't pay attention to anything. But on other games where art style matters to set the mood and the feel of the environment portrait by the artists, it is a lot of work saved, and you get more realistic and better results.

Any graphics processor can do Ray Tracing. 

The problem is that because Ray Tracing requires heaps of computational power, you won't be measuring performance in frames per second but in seconds per frame instead. 

The draw for the RTX 20 is that they feature dedicated hardware specifically designed for real-time Ray Tracing. It's worth noting that it's not entirely Ray Tracing as it's more of a hybrid between rasterization and Ray Tracing, but having dedicated hardware means that the GPU is much more capable of doing the calculations needed for Ray Tracing in real time without a performance dip to the point where games are unplayable. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1