Iced Tea in my Newly Constructed Desktop

Go to solution Solved by -rascal-,
15 minutes ago, RobertMatejczyk said:

Today I made the mistake of drinking a liter or so of iced tea right next to my freshly purchased tower. I then played fortnite only to make myself rage, and then proceed to go for the force shut down button on my PC. I knocked my iced tea over and immediately turned the PSU off and unplugged it. I removed the side panel window and the dust filter at the top to find that there was water on every single component. I dried it off with a hair dryer on cold and I am currently letting it air out. I was wondering if there is anything else I should do. I saw a little bit of corrosion on the power phasers and I was wondering if that was going to be an issue. 

Thanks,

Robert

If you are seeing corrosion, and CAN confirm it is corrosion, then that might be a big problem.

The sugars, sediments, or sticky residue in your Iced Tea drink can cause short circuits --- which will DEFINITELY kill your component(s).  

Best thing to do is to completely disassemble the system, and clean the spilled/wet spots on each part thoroughly.

Use 99% rubbing alcohol with anti-static / microfiber cloth, and/or with Q-tips to reach the hard-to-reach spots.

You most like won't NEED to disassemble...say the video card...completely.

Usually the liquid is only on the top, where the PCB is; the fans and heatsink itself if usually fine.

You *MIGHT* need to disassemble the motherboard; it depends on how much liquid got onto the motherboard.

Did it get into the CPU area?

Did RAM slots get wet?

What about the power phase / VRM area, around the heatsinks?

Today I made the mistake of drinking a liter or so of iced tea right next to my freshly purchased tower. I then played fortnite only to make myself rage, and then proceed to go for the force shut down button on my PC. I knocked my iced tea over and immediately turned the PSU off and unplugged it. I removed the side panel window and the dust filter at the top to find that there was water on every single component. I dried it off with a hair dryer on cold and I am currently letting it air out. I was wondering if there is anything else I should do. I saw a little bit of corrosion on the power phasers and I was wondering if that was going to be an issue. 

Update:

I left the PC to air out all night and this morning I ran Unibench Heaven and Superposition. They both worked flawlessly and the PC has yet to crash. I will keep you guys posted if anything happens though.

Thanks,

Robert

15 minutes ago, RobertMatejczyk said:

Thanks,

Robert

If you are seeing corrosion, and CAN confirm it is corrosion, then that might be a big problem.

The sugars, sediments, or sticky residue in your Iced Tea drink can cause short circuits --- which will DEFINITELY kill your component(s).  

Best thing to do is to completely disassemble the system, and clean the spilled/wet spots on each part thoroughly.

Use 99% rubbing alcohol with anti-static / microfiber cloth, and/or with Q-tips to reach the hard-to-reach spots.

Usually the liquid is only on the top, where the PCB is; the fans and heatsink itself if usually fine.

You *MIGHT* need to disassemble the motherboard; it depends on how much liquid got onto the motherboard.

Did RAM slots get wet?

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

basically wash Motherboard, GPU, and ram with 99% alcohol it should force any water out.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Hilarious. Post of the day.

xD

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

43 minutes ago, RobertMatejczyk said:

Thanks,

Robert

Wipe it using 99% alcohol or pure distilled water then let it evaporate for at least a few days just in case. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

1 hour ago, RobertMatejczyk said:

-SNIP-

As suggested if it's soaked into everything I would give it an isopropyl bath to help displace any soda, scrub off and clean any corrosion and that would be your best bet. If you can take off heatsinks and covers to ensure everything is clean.

12 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Did RAM slots get wet?

The vrm area was the only real spot I'm worried about, everything else was pretty dry. It was unsweetened so I don't think it could've corroded that badly.