is the 550 Watt Seasonic FOCUS Plus Modular 80+ Gold enough for an i5 4590 and a gtx 1070 ti?

Spaiden

i am getting a Asus strix 1070 ti and i want to know if this power supply is good enough 

23 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I personally prefer a little more leeway in the wattage, but it should be sufficient.

More than 250W leeway in a 300W PC? Why?

:)

7 minutes ago, seon123 said:

More than 250W leeway in a 300W PC? Why?

Power draw of the 1070 Ti can exceed 300W alone under load.  CPU is another ~100W (assuming you're not OC'ing).  And as I said, it's personal preference.  I just like plenty of headroom on my PSU.

92566.png

*EDIT*
Sorry, I just realized that I misread the graph, and that it was total system draw.  My bad.

Edited by Jito463

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Power draw of the 1070 Ti can exceed 300W alone under load.  CPU is another ~100W (assuming you're not OC'ing).  And as I said, it's personal preference.  I just like plenty of headroom on my PSU.

*EDIT*
Sorry, I just realized that I misread the graph, and that it was total system draw.  My bad.

And this sort of shortsighted research is why people end up with crappy high-output units rather than lower-output, high-quality units that power their system fine ;)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

It's completely fine.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

And this sort of shortsighted research is why people end up with crappy high-output units rather than lower-output, high-quality units that power their system fine ;)

Or, you know, you could always get high quality, high-output units.  Just because one can power their system with a 400WT, doesn't mean one should.

3 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Or, you know, you could always get high quality, high-output units.  Just because one can power their system with a 400WT, doesn't mean one should.

99% of systems could easily be powered on a 400W unit! Here's a status update where I talk about the power draw of my 1700X and GTX 970 system, both OC'd.

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/112530-strmfrmxmn/?status=182458&type=status&page=2

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

99% of systems could easily be powered on a 400W unit!

Does that make my statement untrue?  The vast majority of systems out there are basic home use/office computers, not gaming systems like those of us here are more likely to have.

10 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Does that make my statement untrue?  The vast majority of systems out there are basic home use/office computers, not gaming systems like those of us here are more likely to have.

Did you read the status update at all? Yes, it makes your statement untrue. We've been recommending 450W units for GTX 1080s around here for awhile. 

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Good for you?  I'm still failing to see your point.

They all work for long periods of time. 450W is fine in most cases.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Good for you?  I'm still failing to see your point.

"Or, you know, you could always get high quality, high-output units.  Just because one can power their system with a 400WT, doesn't mean one should."

I'm saying you should...

Just now, LienusLateTips said:

They all work for long periods of time. 450W is fine in most cases.

And I still don't see how this changes anything, when I simply said I have a personal preference for more overhead room from the PSU.  The only thing you could call me out on (and I already addressed that myself with an edit) is mistakenly misreading the graph for power draw.  So I fail to see where this is all headed.

"Or, you know, you could always get high quality, high-output units.  Just because one can power their system with a 400WT, doesn't mean one should."

I'm saying you should...

Okay, so your opinion is that a lower wattage PSU is fine, and my opinion is that it should be higher (say around 600-700W).  Still not seeing your point.

3 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Okay, so your opinion is that a lower wattage PSU is fine, and my opinion is that it should be higher (say around 600-700W).  Still not seeing your point.

You gotta grow eyes or something man

I said that a GTX 1080 system can be powered on a 450W unit. 600-700W is what I'd recommend for an SLI system or a HEDT system with a 1080 Ti.

You gotta grow eyes or something man

I have two very good ones, thanks.

I said that a GTX 1080 system can be powered on a 450W unit. 600-700W is what I'd recommend for an SLI system or a HEDT system with a 1080 Ti.

Apparently, you seem to lack a good set, though.  Otherwise, you'd have realized that I've stated all along it's my personal preference.  You recommend what you like, I'll recommend what I prefer.  And on that note, I'm done with this circular conversation.

4 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I personally prefer a little more leeway in the wattage, but it should be sufficient.

4 hours ago, Jito463 said:

And as I said, it's personal preference.  I just like plenty of headroom on my PSU.