will my pc get damaged if i take it on a plane

Cuboid88

Hey im moving houses and i was just wondering if it would be safe for me to take my pc in a suitcase along with some bubblewrap for protection or if not, any other way of me to take it on a plane also any advice you could give me so my move goes smoothly without my having to open my pc and see just everything broken? (btw the case is a phanteks p400 tempered glass)

Anything that hangs off the motherboard by a significant amount (say a couple of inches) should be removed, even if it's mounted to something else. So basically all the expansion cards and CPU cooler, if it's a tower one, needs to come off. If you can find ESD safe filler, then you could get away from doing this.

Baggage handlers don't care about handling your luggage carefully, so they'll just toss the thing around.

First of all, chances are they won't let you take it because of size restrictions and also the sharp metal components inside that could be used as weapons.

Second of all, GPUs and large heatsinks should always be removed during PC transport.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So i would first remove the CPU cooler, if it is an air cooler as it is really heavy and applys stress to the MOBO,

Remove GPU,

then just the expansion thing they put when they ship prebuits, 

put the air cooler and gpu back in their original boxes and yolo

I've taken my PC as a carry-on an international flight when I was moving to Australia back in 2005. And then I did it again when I moved back to the US in 2011. I'd say take off the cpu heat sink and video card if they're big. As I recall, I did neither of those things... but I ran a stock heat sink and a low end video card so neither were especially large and likely to cause much damage if they got loose.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

You might actually tell some attendee's or greeters/baggage handlers to actually take some care of it. I garuntee it alot of large airlines do.

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

As bad a rep as shipping companies sometimes get, I would trust it to them over any airline.  I highly doubt that you'll be allowed to take it as carry-on for a variety of reasons, and if you check it in, it will almost certainly be destroyed.  To quote what we were told after they broke something that was well protected and of more than sufficient strength, "we are not a delicate goods carrier".  I hate to think what would happen to a PC... never mind the GPU and CPU coolers snapping and ripping off the motherboard - the entire case would be badly dented (or crushed, depending how strong it was).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I wouldn't recommend it. Also congrats on the nice PC case (phanteks fan here).

Look into some expanding foam packing material on Amazon, and probably have it shipped, marked fragile, with appropriate insurance. If you want to be extra careful, disassemble it, place things in original packing materials (if you kept them, you should have) and ship that way.

More expensive yes, but more expensive than having to buy a new GPU/CPU/etc.?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Well, if you drop it out of the plane. . .

then yes, it would get damaged. . .

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

Just put padding around it, it should be fine.  If it can survive falling onto the floor off of your bed, you'd be fine, it's not likely to encounter anything more extreme than that.