Is minimalism overrated?

pangaea

So I remember Linus tech tips made an "ultimate minimalist laptop desk setup" and I thought it was kind of funny and ironic that at the time I watched the video from a Lenovo W540 laptop connected to an eGPU (with its own full size ATX power supply), and connected to two extra monitors as well as being on a fairly cluttered desk with a USB hub full of stuff creating a mess of cords. So seriously, is there any reason I should want to sacrifice features, performance, and serviceability in the name of minimalist design or having a laptop that's a millimeter thinner? And as far as portability is concerned, I'm pretty much happy with anything I can fit in a backpack.

Home desktop: AMD FX-6350 CPU, AMD 7950 GPU, 12GB DDR3 RAM, 2x250GB SSD (RAID 0) for main drive, 1TB HDD for extra storage, Windows 10

Work desktop: Intel Q8400 core 2 quad CPU, Nvidia GeForce 8400GS Rev 2 GPU, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB SSD for main drive, 250GB HDD for extra storage, Linux Mint 18.3

Personal Laptop: Lenovo W540; bought a used workstation laptop on eBay that just needed a hard drive for half of what they were going for in working order at the time. Intel i7 vPro, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SSD

If you're asking those questions, then the laptop and/or that setup isn't for you. Minimalism isn't about stripping things to the bare bone, it's about only accepting things that actually serve some useful purpose while minimizing the resources (both tangible and intangible, like your time and energy) you spend on those things.

Linus isnt exactly the one to learn 'minimalism' from....

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I'd say unless you have a real application for connecting a desktop GPU to a laptop then just use two separate systems. A stationary desktop for games/production then a laptop for the low-demand applications. That's what I do. I don't play games on the go.

15 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Linus isnt exactly the one to learn 'minimalism' from....

I've seen plenty of videos with setups from both extremes of the spectrum.

Home desktop: AMD FX-6350 CPU, AMD 7950 GPU, 12GB DDR3 RAM, 2x250GB SSD (RAID 0) for main drive, 1TB HDD for extra storage, Windows 10

Work desktop: Intel Q8400 core 2 quad CPU, Nvidia GeForce 8400GS Rev 2 GPU, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB SSD for main drive, 250GB HDD for extra storage, Linux Mint 18.3

Personal Laptop: Lenovo W540; bought a used workstation laptop on eBay that just needed a hard drive for half of what they were going for in working order at the time. Intel i7 vPro, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SSD

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I'd say unless you have a real application for connecting a desktop GPU to a laptop then just use two separate systems. A stationary desktop for games/production then a laptop for the low-demand applications. That's what I do. I don't play games on the go.

I can't say I really have much of an "on the go" lifestyle personally. I do sometimes like to carry my laptop to a different room or hang out at a restaurant though. I do seem to be able to do some moderate gaming on my W540's internal workstation GPU. Back when I was in college though I would often spend a lot of time on my laptop between classes when I had nothing better to do, and that was with a Dell M6500 which was an even bulkier laptop than the one I have now. I did have to carry it around quite a bit and I still stand by "if it fits in a backpack, it's portable enough". I like used workstation laptops, you tend to get a lot of bang for your buck for all-around use and can buy ones that need really minor repairs (e.g. a hard drive replacement) for dirt cheap.

3 hours ago, pangaea said:

So seriously, is there any reason I should want to sacrifice features, performance, and serviceability in the name of minimalist design or having a laptop that's a millimeter thinner? And as far as portability is concerned, I'm pretty much happy with anything I can fit in a backpack.

If you don't need those features and you are a visual perfectionist, do it if makes you happier. 

Otherwise keep at it, and keep adding wires and monitors. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

13 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

If you don't need those features and you are a visual perfectionist, do it if makes you happier. 

Otherwise keep at it, and keep adding wires and monitors. 

I suppose I could make that eGPU setup more aesthetically pleasing by making a simple enclosure of some kind. Or just tuck the messiness away behind one of the monitors (in which case it looks pretty ugly if I remove the laptop from the setup).

8 minutes ago, pangaea said:

I suppose I could make that eGPU setup more aesthetically pleasing by making a simple enclosure of some kind. Or just tuck the messiness away behind one of the monitors (in which case it looks pretty ugly if I remove the laptop from its performance enhancing docking station).

or you can just make sure it's clean and easy to use and call it a day. 

My desk is a 7 foot counter top screwed down to a work bench top with 4x4 legs and supports. It has 5 monitors and a laptop mount on it currently. 

Does it look nice? Not really

Can it stop a Mack truck going 60mph? Probably. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, The White Lady said:

Please do not speak of him this way. He is an infinitely thankless spirit as is. We should ferry him to the alternate plains of existence where he can collect his summoned treasures.

Wendell is the thankless one. 

muh specs 

All parts black

41 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

or you can just make sure it's clean and easy to use and call it a day. 

My desk is a 7 foot counter top screwed down to a work bench top with 4x4 legs and supports. It has 5 monitors and a laptop mount on it currently. 

Does it look nice? Not really

Can it stop a Mack truck going 60mph? Probably. 

That sounds awesome, actually. Been meaning to do that and rid myself of wobby desk x 2.

Minimalism is good in specific situations. I like it when I can put down a computer on my desk or floor, and it doesn't take up the space of a small bookshelf while simultaneously cycling between 16,777,216 different colors. I like it when a desk is just a desk and also doesn't cycle between 16,777,216 colors on every surface.

37 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Literally couldn't give a shit about minimalism; I'm here to do things either practically or effectively, not minimalistically. Recording VHS tapes digitally threw that out of the window anyways.

That's sort of the mindset behind minimalism anyway. It's not strictly about stripping everything away until there's nothing left to strip. It's about finding what's the most efficient for you. It just so happens that throwing away a lot of things is part of that process for a lot of people.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

That's sort of the mindset behind minimalism anyway. It's not strictly about stripping everything away until there's nothing left to strip. It's about finding what's the most efficient for you. It just so happens that throwing away a lot of things is part of that process for a lot of people.

Yeah, that's my thing: I admittedly have more around than I would probably need... then again, video capture isn't the most organized thing, especially if your goal is to capture TV and VHS tapes.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

depends on how you define it. I like minimalism to keep stuff tidy and clean.

for instance, two random pictures from /r/battlestations

Minimalist

4tQhVe2.jpg

non-minimalist

UDk5dlC.jpg

Both are "clean" but one one is truly minimal and i much prefer the top one

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

whatever works for you, stick to it. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.