Oppo 203/205 - Why is it that only Oppo can run Dolby Vision through usb?

So I recently bought a Oppo 203 4K blu ray player and I am extremely happy with my purchase, since I bought it because people claimed it could activate Dolby Vision through usb, as long as the whole 4K bluray disc, was copied to a hard drive, which turned out to be true, so Yay!

But, what I can't figure is why is that only Oppo has managed to pull that off? If they can then why can't others do it?

Oppo has stopped manufacturing blu ray players, so as soon as those that are on the marked is sold that's it, no more blu ray or 4K blu ray players from them.

if the file you feed to the player has dolby vision and the player is able to decode dolby vision there is no reason why that should be the case.

but anyways you actually dont want the player to decode the audio so you wouldn't run into this problem, if you have a setup capable of dolby vision you want a direct bitstream to the AVR and let the decoding be done there.

5 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

if the file you feed to the player has dolby vision and the player is able to decode dolby vision there is no reason why that should be the case.

but anyways you actually dont want the player to decode the audio so you wouldn't run into this problem, if you have a setup capable of dolby vision you want a direct bitstream to the AVR and let the decoding be done there.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Only Oppo 203/205 is able to run Dolby Vision through usb as of now. Are you talking about Dolby Atmos?

What tv are you running this on? I am still not sold on Dolby vision. It looks great when it is displayed correctly with a good tv. Dolby vision on other players like the LG 970 are still meh.