Upgrade G4560 to 7th gen Cpu or wait to upgrade mobo + 8/9th gen cpu?

Hi LTT,

Need some savy advice. My 1st post! So I'm sorry if I seem lazy.

My sole purpose is to game in better speed and quality in games with great reliance on CPU clock speeds and cores. I.e. Monster Hunter world.

Current rig:

Asrock H110m

g4560

ZOTAC 1060 3GB

500w PSU

Should I upgrade my G4560 to a higher core/clock speed cpu in the same gen? I.e. a i5-6700? 

Or should i wait to upgrade my whole system to a 8/9th gen cpu + mobo?

*The latter will require me to get windows AGAIN

Thanks alot!

The G4560 is already a 7th gen CPU ;) 

I'm not sure it'd be a great idea to run an i7 on a H110 board, though. The VRMs aren't typically up to snuff. Upgrading to an i5 will yield gains in the short term, so if you can source like a 6400, 6500, 7400 or 7500 for around $100 that'd be my pick for now. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

16 minutes ago, JaredthePotato said:

not necessarily.....link your license to a Microsoft account  and you will be Ok for a couple of hardware changes

4 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

not necessarily.....link your license to a Microsoft account  and you will be Ok for a couple of hardware changes

How? Hahah there is a microsoft account??

2 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

if it is a regular liscnense you can tie it to your account and move it between mobos, but if it is an OEM liscence it is tied to the mobo, this is also why you cant just hoard up old liscnenses from old laptops

9 minutes ago, JaredthePotato said:

How? Hahah there is a microsoft account??

if it's available to you, it should be in the activation control panel 

LTT has a video explaining the activation process coming soon that might help clarify

16 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

if it's available to you, it should be in the activation control panel 

LTT has a video explaining the activation process coming soon that might help clarify

Sweet! Thanks!

46 minutes ago, JaredthePotato said:

Hi LTT,

Need some savy advice. My 1st post! So I'm sorry if I seem lazy.

My sole purpose is to game in better speed and quality in games with great reliance on CPU clock speeds and cores. I.e. Monster Hunter world.

Current rig:

Asrock H110m

g4560

ZOTAC 1060 3GB

500w PSU

Should I upgrade my G4560 to a higher core/clock speed cpu in the same gen? I.e. a i5-6700? 

Thanks alot!

I wouldn't bother with 8th/9th gen, i would go with ryzen. But then you would have to probably upgrade RAM also. So i would say either buy a i7 6700 or 7700 used and you'll be fine and save a lot of money. Between putting some 6700 or 7700 (a stock cooler is fine) and selling the g4560 it will be a dirt cheap upgrade.

32 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

The G4560 is already a 7th gen CPU ;) 

I'm not sure it'd be a great idea to run an i7 on a H110 board, though. The VRMs aren't typically up to snuff. Upgrading to an i5 will yield gains in the short term, so if you can source like a 6400, 6500, 7400 or 7500 for around $100 that'd be my pick for now. 

I was planning on going for a i5. 7th gen.!

6 minutes ago, asus killer said:

I wouldn't bother with 8th/9th gen, i would go with ryzen. But then you would have to probably upgrade RAM also. So i would say either buy a i7 6700 or 7700 used and you'll be fine and save a lot of money. Between putting some 6700 or 7700 (a stock cooler is fine) and selling the g4560 it will be a dirt cheap upgrade.

Hey man thanks! Would 16GB of ram suffice? For the ryzen

2 minutes ago, JaredthePotato said:

Hey man thanks! Would 16GB of ram suffice? For the ryzen

16GB is enough atleast for the forseeable future

just if going ryzen make sure that the kit you are planning on using is on the motherboard's QVL, ryzen (especially 1000 series) was very picky with RAM kits

something like a r5-1600 or r5-2600 with a b3/450 board would be a good option

3 hours ago, JaredthePotato said:

Current rig:

Asrock H110m

g4560

ZOTAC 1060 3GB

500w PSU

Normally I would say that changing motherboard for small upgrade is not worth it. But not in this case. You have really cheap motherboard, so it's not a big lost even if you put this one away somewhere (as dust collector) or sell it for someone with processor (cost of processor, motherboard for free etc).

If you want to upgrade and you already have DDR4, then buy 8th gen processor and motherboard for it. Not so much bigger cost than just replacing processor. i5 or i7 are the same (almost) cost in 6th, 7th or 8th gen, but 8th gen is much faster.

More than that - as BubblyCharizard said, if you linked your OEM Windows into Microsoft Account, (re)activation will not be a problem. I changed from 3rd to 8th gen processor (with mobo, ram etc) and Windows (OEM) is fully activated. Not even reinstallation needed - just plug and play. And all people who says that OEM is still ONLY linked to motherboard should read some news on internet sometimes. :)

"Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account". You see?

On 8/28/2018 at 8:15 PM, homeap5 said:

Normally I would say that changing motherboard for small upgrade is not worth it. But not in this case. You have really cheap motherboard, so it's not a big lost even if you put this one away somewhere (as dust collector) or sell it for someone with processor (cost of processor, motherboard for free etc).

If you want to upgrade and you already have DDR4, then buy 8th gen processor and motherboard for it. Not so much bigger cost than just replacing processor. i5 or i7 are the same (almost) cost in 6th, 7th or 8th gen, but 8th gen is much faster.

More than that - as BubblyCharizard said, if you linked your OEM Windows into Microsoft Account, (re)activation will not be a problem. I changed from 3rd to 8th gen processor (with mobo, ram etc) and Windows (OEM) is fully activated. Not even reinstallation needed - just plug and play. And all people who says that OEM is still ONLY linked to motherboard should read some news on internet sometimes. :)

"Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account". You see?

You guys here really reply so quick with great suggestions too! 

Thanks man this was a good unintentional pun. Haha but I might consider changing my case too lol.

Cheers!