4 people shot dead at an esport gaming tournament in Florida.

Tech_Dreamer

Game rage at a new level.

19575322_1997430523872348_69794158568105

Reported that 11-15 people injured & 4 people dead (including the suspect) during a targeted shooting that occurred during an NFL Madden esport event that was live streamed on twitch at Jacksonville Florida , it's is being treated a mass shooting at the moment but might change as threat seems to be contained & suspect is deceased .

The shooting took place in the Sunday's event which was held at a place inside the shopping mall during a regional qualifier for the Madden 19 online game tournament at the GLHF Game Bar inside a Chicago Pizza restaurant, Jacksonville Landing area, which is located along the St. Johns River.

The incident is being investigated as a criminal act, and not an act of terrorism, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.

Several people on social media participating in the Madden NFL tournament reported hearing gunshots shortly after 1:30 p.m. during the livestream of the tournament on the platform Twitch ,  Madden NFL 19 is a new video game based on the NFL that’s developed and published by EA Sports. 

The shooter was a participant of the tournament who lost, according to Steven “Steveyj” Javaruski, another competitor. He told the Los Angeles Times that the shooter "targeted a few people" and shot at least five victims before killing himself.

Contest winner tweeted out >>

UF Health Jacksonville received six patients, including one in serious condition. The victims ranged in age from 20 to 35 years old. The victim in serious condition had multiple gunshot wounds to the chest, and doctors are monitoring this patient's heart.  At least three patients were shot once, and three were shot more than once, UF Health said.

official statement

Electronic Arts, the company who developed the Madden game, tweeted the company is "aware of an incident at a sanctioned Madden Championship Series competition in Jacksonville. We are working with authorites to gather facts at this stage."

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said that President Trump has been briefed on the situation, and are monitoring.

Sources:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-florida-shooting/gunman-kills-four-at-video-game-tournament-in-florida-idUSKCN1LB0M7

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/26/jacksonville-landing-shooting-kills-at-least-4-sources-say-gunfire-heard-at-gaming-tournament.html

https://abc7chicago.com/4-dead-9-injured-in-jacksonville-madden-tournament-shooting-source/4059545/

http://time.com/5378639/madden-shooting-jacksonville-florida/

reportedly , Multiple members of the online gaming community stopped playing on the live-streaming service Twitch to react to reports of the shooting.

Anyways, due to political nature of this , Be balanced while in discussion or don't discuss it at all, no blind blaming on what's the cause, i'd rather see no discussion happening down there as a response to this rather than seeing a flame war discussion going nowhere stamping & put blame on anything that moves, surely these kind of events usually winds down to two things in public , does gun play a role or violent games play a role in causing events like this to happen in this kind of a place.  in brutal honesty , this was a game rage gone too far . so there's that.

Details separate people.

Early and quick reminder to keep this non-political.

On topic:

How do we know it's "game rage taken to another level"? Is that just because it happened at a game bar where a tournament was taking place?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

On topic:

How do we know it's "game rage taken to another level"? Is that just because it happened at a game bar where a tournament was taking place?

Yeah IDK if this is even tech news, just because the shooting took place at an esports tournament doesn't mean it was because of the games.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

On topic:

Just want to make sure but discussing gun control counts as political correct?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

Just want to make sure but discussing gun control counts as political correct?

Yes.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I would remove that video of the shooting in progress. Even though we don't see it, people are dying.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

just because the shooting took place at an esports tournament doesn't mean it was because of the games.

yeah it's in a quote up there somewhere.. i dunno..

"The shooter was a participant of the tournament who lost, according to Steven “Steveyj” Javaruski, another competitor. He told the Los Angeles Times that the shooter "targeted a few people" and shot at least five victims before killing himself." 

Details separate people.

Not really tech news and it probably wasn't going to end well anyways.

-Locked-

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402