Need help regarding the SSHD vs HHD

keavlar

Hey guys.

So there is sort of debate if the HHSD is worth buying. 

And we do know there is a difference in Windows boot time, as well as some apps like Webbrowser. 

But the question is about the games. 

He wants to store all the games on a hard drive, and I suggested that he uses Hybrid hard-drive. 

There is an answer on the internet, saying next:

"An SSHD will only store files which you use the most often on the SSD part of it, that will probably speed up boot times and maybe your browser. Therefore your games would be put on the slower part of the drive which is the equivalent of a slow HDD, a usual 7200rpm HDD would be a better way to go in my opinion.

I have my self all 3, SSD, SSHD, HHD - and I saw the difference in performance even in games. 

Could you please approve one of the sides?

I want to really know, what is true, what is the difference, and what better to buy. 

Thx. 

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I believe that even though a hybrid does indeed do that, the amount of stuff it can store on its “ssd” side is small (more if you buy a bigger sized SSHD but still not a lot regardless) so unfortunately not all of your games can utilize it (or maybe none at all depending how big the game is)

Atleast this is what I remember from researching SSHD’s when I was considering getting one so :P

poop

The Solid State part of SSHD drives is relatively small. Expect it to be under 10gb, many sit at 8gb.

I don't know exactly how SSHD's allocate their cache, but core files of a game (resources that are regularly loaded for that title) may be stored in the cache up to the limit of the drive.

You will likely see better loading times in some aspects with the SSHD over a standard HDD, but it will not be as optimal as a dedicated SSD.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB