[Need an advice] Dual-boot on SSD + RAID0 splitted between multiple OS.

SlyWolf

Hi everyone.

It might sound stupid, but I'd like to clear some things before I buy a second hard drive for the RAID setup. I was wondering if it is possible to create a RAID0 from 2 HDD's and then share it between 2 separate OS. If it is possible, will I still get the benefits of RAID0(better performance) on both OS?

I really like Linux for its low system footprint and security, but I also game a lot, so I need Win10. I used to have a dual boot config, which gives the best from both worlds, but that was a long time ago. The current system has one 250Gb SSD and 1Tb HDD. I want to install 2 OS to the SSD to get the best performance out of it and create RAID0 with two 1Tb HDDs for media, games and general storage. I want to split the virtual RAID drive into 2 partitions(NTFS and ext4) so that both systems can benefit from the RAID. 

Will this monstrosity actually work? Is it worth it?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

16 minutes ago, SlyWolf said:

Hi everyone.

It might sound stupid, but I'd like to clear some things before I buy a second hard drive for the RAID setup. I was wondering if it is possible to create a RAID0 from 2 HDD's and then share it between 2 separate OS. If it is possible, will I still get the benefits of RAID0(better performance) on both OS?

I really like Linux for its low system footprint and security, but I also game a lot, so I need Win10. I used to have a dual boot config, which gives the best from both worlds, but that was a long time ago. The current system has one 250Gb SSD and 1Tb HDD. I want to install 2 OS to the SSD to get the best performance out of it and create RAID0 with two 1Tb HDDs for media, games and general storage. I want to split the virtual RAID drive into 2 partitions(NTFS and ext4) so that both systems can benefit from the RAID. 

Will this monstrosity actually work? Is it worth it?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Yes it will work.  Not sure it will be worth it.  

The raid will look like any other driver to Windows (and should look like any other drive to Linux) so that should be fine.

The performance you'll gain is debatable but if you want to do it, it should work.  How will you build the RAID?  

This requires motherboard raid, which is known for being bad.

Id just have one hdd for windows and one for linux. Or keep the drive as ntfs and use it for moth.

@TheGlenlivet 
I think, even the smallest boost is worth it if it can be done for cheap. As far as I know, RAID0 kinda turns HDDs into an almost viable SSD(read/write speeds double), so why not.
I haven't thought about it yet. I have to do some extra research, but in theory, I just work on the SSD first. I'll set up the dual-boot system and configure raid from one of the two OS.

@Electronics Wizardy

I'll have to look into it, but I wasn't greedy while buying the motherboard. I have Crosshair Hero VI, which should support raid configs.
That is an option, but I wanted to squeeze some performance out of the HDDs. 

have Crosshair Hero VI, which should support raid configs.

It has raid, but thats motherboard raid, and not known to be great. The raid is the same on all amd board, so your highend board isn't helping you here. A hardware raid card isn't cheap

That is an option, but I wanted to squeeze some performance out of the HDDs. 

Raid really doesn't help iops too much here, esp at low queue depth. A single driver per os would be a simpler approach here. These speed will be no where near a ssd.