Get a new/used 10 series card or an RTX 2070?

RileyTheFox
Go to solution Solved by AngryBeaver,

Seeing that the 2070 is listed as 600 MSRP atm... I am hesitant to recommend it without seeing some benchmarks

Plus the current pricing is probably going to see a massive dip in the next few months after the initial prelaunch hype is over. I mean 1200 for a 2080ti is going to hit a lot of pocket books pretty hard and unless the performance is huge I don't see many people justifying that expense.

Then you have Ray tracing hype. which is nice and I am skeptical of it being a good real time solution, but it does make these cards more appealing to designers and the like. I just have a feeling Ray tracing (unless also adopted by AMD) is going to be a lot like Physx and Hairworks. It will be nice in the few games that have it, but will be a gimmicky Nvidia thing without a high adoption rate.

Hey. With all the hype around the new RTX cards, I've been wondering. Should I get a new/used 10 series card (Either new 1070 or used 1080) or an RTX 2070.

I currently have a 960 4gb from MSI and I struggle to play newer titles and especially VR (I own a Rift)

I'm planning on getting the upcoming Hitman and a few others. I also want to get some more VR games.

I game in 1080p 60Hz however that may change to 1440p or 1080p with a higher refresh rate. 

I do a lot of streaming and recording too. I usually encode the stream using the CPU but I usually save the stream locally in a higher bit rate and resolution for later use. Currently, I have to use QuickSync to save the stream locally as the GPU runs out of video memory to game and record. 

What should I get? The RTX 2070 when it releases or a new 1070/A used 1080 (Bear in mind I have a 600w PSU, the rest of my specs are in my signature) 

Advice is appreciated :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

Just wait. The cards are getting released to purchase soon. See if you can find the best card for you.

hi.

Get a second hand 1080 Ti from someone wanting to get a RTX card [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

The pricing on the RTX cards is a joke if they end up not being equally faster than their predecessors. For now we have to wait for the numbers before we can give a conclusive answer. I reckon a dump price 1080 or 1080Ti won't be so difficult to find soon ;) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Seeing that the 2070 is listed as 600 MSRP atm... I am hesitant to recommend it without seeing some benchmarks

Plus the current pricing is probably going to see a massive dip in the next few months after the initial prelaunch hype is over. I mean 1200 for a 2080ti is going to hit a lot of pocket books pretty hard and unless the performance is huge I don't see many people justifying that expense.

Then you have Ray tracing hype. which is nice and I am skeptical of it being a good real time solution, but it does make these cards more appealing to designers and the like. I just have a feeling Ray tracing (unless also adopted by AMD) is going to be a lot like Physx and Hairworks. It will be nice in the few games that have it, but will be a gimmicky Nvidia thing without a high adoption rate.

When i got my 1080ti , it came with a 60 day price guarantee which means that if in 60 days it drops in price, they will match it and send me a voucher with the difference which im happy with :) Also i dont think the hype behind the 2070 etc is going to be that good but thats just me, i will wait and see with the new benchmarks  

2070 from 3rd parties start at $500, founders edition $600. wait for 3rd party cards to be released and look for benchmarks