AHCI AND IDE What is that

TheOnlyXenoT_T

can someone explain what AHCI and IDE is. Some extra info i am planning to get a ssd for boot drive and a hard drive for storage

I'll just put it in extremely simplified terms: AHCI == fast, IDE == slow. That's all you need to know in practice.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

I'll just put it in extremely simplified terms: AHCI == fast, IDE == slow. That's all you need to know in practice.

so i watched some video and i am think about setting my ssd to AHCI and my hard drive to IDE or do i need to put them both on AHCI ?

Just now, TheOnlyXenoT_T said:

so i watched some video and i am think about setting my ssd to AHCI and my hard drive to IDE or do i need to put them both on AHCI ?

Always use AHCI.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Always use AHCI.

alright and i also heard that if u boot in to windows in IDE then if u want to switch to AHCI Windows won't boot. So do i need to switch to AHCI before i install windows ?

Just now, TheOnlyXenoT_T said:

alright and i also heard that if u boot in to windows in IDE then if u want to switch to AHCI Windows won't boot. So do i need to switch to AHCI before i install windows ?

Well, you can fix it afterwards, too, but it requires jumping through a whole bunch of hoops. It'll be a lot easier to just switch to AHCI from the get-go.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Well, you can fix it afterwards, too, but it requires jumping through a whole bunch of hoops. It'll be a lot easier to just switch to AHCI from the get-go.

Alright well thanks for the help and have a Great Day :P

AHCI can make your boot time slower in some cases, though it's worth it because file transfers are faster when the computer's actually on.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

1 hour ago, TheOnlyXenoT_T said:

Both AHCI.

The IDE Seting is some old shit from 20 years ago that nobody in their right mind would want to use for various reasons. YOu might google "NCQ" (the Native Command Queuing or so)

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, TheOnlyXenoT_T said:

Correct.

While it is possible to switch from IDE to AHCI, though its either really complicated so the best way is another on or offboard controller wich you probably won't have...

Also with IDE mode you are missing on some essential features for modern Hardware like NCQ on HDDs and TRIM on SSDs.

Both are things that make the drives faster (or in case of NCQ: Suck less).

So it makes no sense to use the IDE Configuration these days. That's a relic from ancient times that nobody needs today - wich is why it doesn't exist and you only have the choice between AHCI and RAID, wich you don't need....

1 hour ago, xriqn said:

AHCI can make your boot time slower in some cases, though it's worth it because file transfers are faster when the computer's actually on.

WHAT?!

Where the hell did you get that shit from?! That might have been the case 15 years ago with some broken Boards or other shit but not today.

And why should it boot slower with AHCI?

Makes no sense.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

The IDE Seting is some old shit from 20 years ago

Not quite that far back. IDE was still pretty prominent in the XP days, and even Vista. SATA was only available in newer systems. My first SATA drive was in a Windows 7 laptop. I was so happy with the simplicity. xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Correct.

While it is possible to switch from IDE to AHCI, though its either really complicated so the best way is another on or offboard controller wich you probably won't have...

Also with IDE mode you are missing on some essential features for modern Hardware like NCQ on HDDs and TRIM on SSDs.

Both are things that make the drives faster (or in case of NCQ: Suck less).

So it makes no sense to use the IDE Configuration these days. That's a relic from ancient times that nobody needs today - wich is why it doesn't exist and you only have the choice between AHCI and RAID, wich you don't need....

WHAT?!

Where the hell did you get that shit from?! That might have been the case 15 years ago with some broken Boards or other shit but not today.

And why should it boot slower with AHCI?

Makes no sense.

You'll find it actually does increase boot times, my current rig (BlackMagic) for example, boots about 20 seconds slower on average with AHCI mode on in windows 8.1 on latest BIOS.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.