Salvage Hard Drive from Sky Box

yolosnail

I was recently looking at Gumtree for some tools and came across a whole section of just Sky +HD boxes, people are literally just giving them away.

The ones with the 500gb hard drives people have them listed for free, but for the 2tb ones they are going for around £10.

Would it be worth getting a couple to salvage the hard drives out of them or do you think it would be too much of a risk? I presume with it being a DVR that the hard drives would be rated for 24/7 operation so they have to be half decent drives

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

If you're sure those boxes have a hard drive go for them

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

use them for game drives that use cloud storage. that way if a game fails you still have the save file and you can just reinstall on a drive that works, albeit there's a bit of a headache that comes with that process.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

12 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

*snip*

I presume with it being a DVR that the hard drives would be rated for 24/7 operation so they have to be half decent drives

All I can say is don't get your hopes up... a lot of consumer gear with spindle drives will likely have a regular desktop drive in it.

But if they're free? Can't go wrong there.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

16 hours ago, fasauceome said:

use them for game drives that use cloud storage. that way if a game fails you still have the save file and you can just reinstall on a drive that works, albeit there's a bit of a headache that comes with that process.

I was just going to use them for my media server that I rip all my DVDs and Blu Rays to, so if it fails I'm not really losing any data as I can just re-rip them.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue