how to optimize Overwatch for a cpu bottlenecked system?

Ashleyyyy

what things do i need to turn off in Overwatch to get more FPS out of my system? i'm cpu bottlenecked... 

She/Her

9 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

what things do i need to turn off in Overwatch to get more FPS out of my system? i'm cpu bottlenecked... 

Id just set it as low, with shadows turned off, textures set to medium.

Rx580 Red Devil

Msi b40 tomahawk

Ryzen 5 2600

NZXT H500

Arctic Freezer 33 

EVGA supernova 650 watts 80+ gold

3x WD caviar blue 1tb HDD

1x Corsair SSD

3 minutes ago, HK - 47 said:

Id just set it as low, with shadows turned off, textures set to medium.

well i want to get something out of my 290X. right now i have it on ultra with things like fog detail, anti aliasing and shadows set to low or off, and the problem is it dips into the 50's and 40's sometimes. i want solid 60fps out of it.

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

well i want to get something out of my 290X. right now i have it on ultra with things like fog detail, anti aliasing and shadows set to low or off, and the problem is it dips into the 50's and 40's sometimes. i want solid 60fps out of it.

well, id set it to high/ mid then. OW doesn't change too much between high/ ultra. It looks good at any quality. I'd suggest going into a custom game with 11 bots+ you and check your fps. Keep changing settings till you get it how you want it.  

Rx580 Red Devil

Msi b40 tomahawk

Ryzen 5 2600

NZXT H500

Arctic Freezer 33 

EVGA supernova 650 watts 80+ gold

3x WD caviar blue 1tb HDD

1x Corsair SSD

Disabling dynamic reflections is a big fps boost at any preset, but I'm not sure if it's handled by the GPU or CPU.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

Even with everything on low I couldn't get 144 fps consistently. I just bought a new CPU instead

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

24 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Even with everything on low I couldn't get 144 fps consistently. I just bought a new instead

i only need 60

She/Her

Resolution, texture quality, and anisotropic filtering are pretty CPU-safe settings, but for almost every other setting, it depends upon how the game implements them. A game can list three different AA methods, and only the middle one might tax your CPU.

Draw distance can hit the CPU hard. Turn off stuff like particles, reflections, 'post-processing', ambient occlusion, and shadows, then turn them back on again one at a time, and test each setting over an extended period.

Also, a big one is framerate. You might get more stable performance with an FPS cap, and if your TV or monitor supports native 50Hz, you can also set your display driver (windowed/borderless) and/or game (exclusive fullscreen) to output 50Hz. Obviously not ideal for an online twitch shooter, but if you can't maintain 30/60FPS with your CPU, you might as well play at a smooth and consistent 25/50FPS outputting at 50Hz, rather than a jerky 25/50FPS when outputting at 60Hz and getting more pulled frames.

10 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i only need 60

You shouldn't be having a problem hitting 60. This should help you see what settings hit performance the most.

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/7808/overwatch-graphics-performance-tweak-guide/index.html

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

As OBCTGamer said, if you can increase the resolution it will help with the CPU bottleneck. The 290x is more than capable of playing Overwatch at 1440p with a good framerate. Back when I had my i5 3340s playing in a higher resolution helped reduce the FPS drops in games like BF1 and PUBG. 

Gaming PC: i5 8600k @ 4.8GHz | 16GB T-Force Delta RGB @ 3200Mhz | Asus Prime Z370-A | Sapphire Radeon VII (Dead :( ), RX480 8GB | EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 | 120GB Sandisk SSD Plus, 120GB Kingston A400 | 4TB Seagate 7200RPM , 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Phanteks P400 Windows 10, MacOS Catalina

Second PC: i5 3340s @ 2.8GHz | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333MHz | EVGA 750Ti SC | Cheap £7 250GB WD HDD Windows 7

LaptopLate 2009 MacBook (Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 120GB SSD, 9400m, running Mojave) , Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (i5, 4GB Ram, 128GB SSD)

Consoles: Xbox One, PS4 Slim, PS3 slim, Xbox 360 fat still going strong after almost 10 years, Original Xbox, PS2, PS1

Phone: Realme 6, Xiaomi Mi A2, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x, iPhone 6s (jailbroken)

Tablet: iPad Mini 2nd Gen Retina (Jailbroken)

Headphones:  Hifiman HE4xx, Phillips Fidelio X2, Status Audio CB-1,  Fiio E10k DAC, Schiit Magni 3+, Tin T2 IEM's, Astrotec S80

Keyboards:  2x Custom 60% - 1x Gateron Yellow, 1x Box Reds

If your goal is to drive the GPU's usage to 100%, increasing the resolution and other options to generate a larger workload for the GPU.

If your goal is to simply try to optimize the system for CPU usage, then you can't really change what the game does since it must be a fixed workload for all players. Otherwise everyone would just use the lowest CPU settings anyway. Outside of the game, you could close your web browser, and other applications that could be using the CPU for things, but it usually won't help much if the combination of these applications are using less than 10% of the CPU time.