Intel optane 32gb vs 240gb ssd cache?

I have 2 1tb hdd in raid 0 and i am looking to cache them in some way,what would be better?I was thinking that the ssd would be better using primocache and maybe using 2gb of ram caching as well.But since intel added optane as an option for secondary drives it may be an option.

Id probably use the 240gb ssd.

Id use the cachine in windows storage spaces. That way you get tiering, so you get some extra space, and its a single raid and cache solution.

Also ram cache is arealdy used in windows, I wouldn't use it in thirdparty software as it can lead to data loss as it isn't reporting sync writes correctly.

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably use the 240gb ssd.

Id use the cachine in windows storage spaces. That way you get tiering, so you get some extra space, and its a single raid and cache solution.

Also ram cache is arealdy used in windows, I wouldn't use it in thirdparty software as it can lead to data loss as it isn't reporting sync writes correctly.

is window storage spaces caching any good?first time that i am hearing about and it is used mostly in server application from what i have seen.

2 hours ago, bnanos79 said:

is window storage spaces caching any good?first time that i am hearing about and it is used mostly in server application from what i have seen.

Yep I use it and it works well. Pretty easy to setup, seamless, hit ratio for me(mainly games) with a 120gb ssd and 4x2tb hdds is about 70%

I would recommend against this (optane) heavily. Running raid0 as it is is pretty risky, and I wouldnt want to push it further by running destructive caching on it.

My advice would be to save up for boot SSD that's big enough for system and still leaves you ~64GB free. Use the 2HDDs as regular storage, and use those free 64G on your SSD with program like PrimoCache.

This would bring you speeds much better then you have currently with raid0, double the storage (since you can now utilize both drives), and improve the file security.

The larger the SSD free space, the more things you can cache on it. Linus just now posted video on YT about this, go check it out.

On 8/19/2018 at 3:31 AM, jackar said:

I would recommend against this (optane) heavily. Running raid0 as it is is pretty risky, and I wouldnt want to push it further by running destructive caching on it.

My advice would be to save up for boot SSD that's big enough for system and still leaves you ~64GB free. Use the 2HDDs as regular storage, and use those free 64G on your SSD with program like PrimoCache.

This would bring you speeds much better then you have currently with raid0, double the storage (since you can now utilize both drives), and improve the file security.

The larger the SSD free space, the more things you can cache on it. Linus just now posted video on YT about this, go check it out.

i already have an ssd as a boot drive i want to use my secondary one for caching because it is not enough by itself and the hdd's are pretty slow