Why are space missions started in the first place?

ExtraBlackMonster

Wait India has space missions?

Just to see whats out there and explore I suppose.

Modern technology depends on space-based infrastructure and its improvement (GPS, telecommunications, weather observation & prediction, you get the idea).

Also, there was a lot of concern over the weaponization of space during the 20th century since it could possibly be a huge tactical advantage. Hence the space race.

inb4 space force

EDIT: I forgot that mining and tourism are now becoming ever more viable reasons as well. Plus anything related to space is pretty cool, so some people just want to go there to see what's up (Get it? What's up...the sky? ok I'm done with jokes now).

Curiosity is pretty much in our nature. We want to explore, and space is kind of the final frontier. Also various types of research you simply cannot do from Earth and we have to go to space.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

The most important reason for humanity as a whole is redundancy. Right now we're basically a species with no offsite backup.

7 hours ago, Hurican7 said:

Get it? What's up... The sky?

Astronaut 1: Hey, what's up?

Astronaut 2: What... Is up?

Astronaut 1: It's... Uh...

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Did we need to spend all that money? Couldn’t we get “GPS and communication” without going to the Moon? What if we spent all that money on the poor and education?

24 minutes ago, ExtraBlackMonster said:

Did we need to spend all that money? Couldn’t we get “GPS and communication” without going to the Moon? What if we spent all that money on the poor and education?

And if I don't eat my next meal, someone hungry somewhere in Africa can eat it instead. Right?

One of the results of going to the moon was miniaturisation, it advanced computer science by decades. You wouldn't be writing this on a computer/phone if we didn't go to the moon. The internet wouldn't be a thing. Mark Rober and Second thought have videos on the topic. 

:)

3 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

If you spent all that money on the poor, it wouldn't make any mid/long term difference

When I say "if we spent all that money on the poor " I mean give them jobs (and free training if needed) or/and help them start their own Stories/companies....

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

Africa

dude, you went there so fast!

think about the poor people in your country first! are you living in a country which has 0 people under the poverty line?

9 minutes ago, ExtraBlackMonster said:

dude, you went there so fast!

think about the poor people in your country first! are you living in a country which has 0 people under the poverty line?

I take it you didn't get the point. Either way, same thing.

If I don't eat my next meal, someone hungry, somewhere in my country can eat it instead, right?

Also, because the country I live in is developed, we already have a social security system. 

:)

24 minutes ago, seon123 said:

If I don't eat my next meal, someone hungry, somewhere in my country can eat it instead, right?

no one is trying to take your meal, don't worry. I'm talking about space programs if you notice!

listen to this song it nice: 

They were started in order to test nuclear weapons on the darkside of the moon. You see, a treaty ban all nuclear testing in the ENTIRE FREAKING UNIVERSE but how can you tell if the soviets or the Americans decide to like fly millons of light years away to Andromeda galaxy  and test bunch of nukes on some deserted desert planet with two twin suns? You can't.

Since neither the soviets or the Americans had technology advance enough for that, the dark side of the moon would have to do. This led to the space race. Americans were too anxious about soviets getting to the dark side of the moon first that they launch several satellites to detect gamma radiation from nuclear weapons explosion which coincidentally this led to the discovery of naturally occuring gamma ray burst but not before US diplomats panicked and point fingers at soviets for violating the treaty by testing on the moon.

Okay, soviets weren't building moon bases and testing nukes there but better beat them to it before they did so NASA started the Apollo missions. They said it was for civilian scientific exploration but utter BS. Americans just wanted to build military nuclear testing sites there. 

What happens next was controversial. The conventional and official narrative was that NASA succeeded and Neil Armstrong became the first person on the moon but many people have credible evidences to believe that moon landing was in fact FAKE. I will let OP decide which narrative he wants to believe. 

Anyways, what happened next was that Soviet Union imploded by the 1990s. This meant the originally aim of the space missions were no longer relevant. Right now the only countries with active MANNED space missions are China and USA. No one knows what's the new purposes if these missions. However they can be for myriad of nefarious purposes. Be wary.... Be very wary.....

Edit: actually couple more countries have active manned space missions. None are as active as the American however. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, kilgore_T said:

because humans want to survive the death of Earth

in about 7 billion years lol

It's actually 1 billion year before we have to leave ;) 

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

7 minutes ago, Zandvliet said:

It's actually 1 billion year before we have to leave ;) 

holy sh8tballs we better get our act together then

times a running out

1 minute ago, kilgore_T said:

holy sh8tballs we better get our act together then

times a running out

I know right! 

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

3 hours ago, kilgore_T said:

because humans want to survive the death of Earth

in about 7 billion years lol

I thought it was so humanity could find something else to declare war on ... yknow, fight them. Live sci fi movies. 

19 minutes ago, fpo said:

I thought it was so humanity could find something else to declare war on ... yknow, fight them. Live sci fi movies. 

ye ok that makes more sense,  how else we going to convince people to leave

hqdefault.jpg

Just now, kilgore_T said:

ye ok that makes more sense,  how else we going to convince people to leave

hqdefault.jpg

Why else would the Illuminati rhile is up with conspiracy TV shows? 

21 minutes ago, fpo said:

Why else would the Illuminati rhile is up with conspiracy TV shows? 

aaarrghghghghhh tis alien lizard folks

c2f451c546bef3a7c8b1470d09dd53d4.jpg