Recommended PSU for 1-2 of my builds?

ROBOCRIPPLE

Currently, I have only 1 PSU: the Rosewill 600W, which came with my previous, pre-built gaming PC and still using with my current gaming hardware. I'm thinking of going into streaming and plan on using my older hardware for that task. I went to OuterVision Power Supply Calculator, entered the builds for my gaming PC and streaming PC and it appears that the streaming PC requires more wattage than my gaming PC, more than a 450W PSU can provide, probably because the streaming PC uses a GTX 960, which I've heard requires more power than a GTX 1060, which I'm using for my gaming PC. Oddly, the website also recommends the same PSU for both PCs. 

I want to consume as little energy as I possibly can with my streaming PC, which is why I looked at Intel NUCs and similar mini-PCs with an Intel Core-i7 processor as an alternative. One forum user recommended a 450W PSU for the streaming PC. They also said that PSU calculators are BS and that PCs rarely draw more than 450W. I watched a couple of videos regarding which PSU I should get and they recommended using Power Supply calculators. At this point, I'm not sure who/what to believe...

For my gaming PC, I do want to upgrade to a new case and a liquid-cooling radiator over my current case and the stock air cooler that came with my Ryzen 5 2600 CPU. For my streaming PC, I'd want to use a cheap mATX case that is easier to work with than the case I currently have for my gaming PC, and does have 5.25" bays so that I could use my optical disc drive with it. Adding an optical disc drive does increase the recommended wattage in the power supply calculator.

Which PSU should I get and for what system? 

I think the psu calc is pretty accurate. However the power supply only draws as many watts from the wall as your pc is actually using. If the psu calc says you need one thing get that.

Need specs.

PSU calculators tend to way overspec your PSU.  If its a 4 core i7 (2xxx or newer) at stock with a GTX 960, expect a full system power draw figure of 350w on the DC side (how PSU's are rated) and 440w on the AC side (what a kill-a-watt reads) with an 80% efficient unit.

Usually almost regardless of specs a Seasonic focus gold 550/650/750 watt is a good buy. 

They suit most systems as long as you arent running a threadripper and 1080ti together. 

21 minutes ago, Quadrum said:

I think the psu calc is pretty accurate. However the power supply only draws as many watts from the wall as your pc is actually using. If the psu calc says you need one thing get that.

PSU calculators are not accurate.

25 minutes ago, ROBOCRIPPLE said:

I want to consume as little energy as I possibly can with my streaming PC, which is why I looked at Intel NUCs and similar mini-PCs with an Intel Core-i7 processor as an alternative. One forum user recommended a 450W PSU for the streaming PC. They also said that PSU calculators are BS and that PCs rarely draw more than 450W. I watched a couple of videos regarding which PSU I should get and they recommended using Power Supply calculators. At this point, I'm not sure who/what to believe...

Look, PSU calculators are trash and PCs don't require that much wattage, normal users, even work stations (depending on setup) barely go over 550W.

Look at the tier list below and look between 400W to 550W for your psu. No need to go over that, especially not for your current builds.

Best & worst cases for your money in 2018 are:

Best Cases overall

I) Fractal Design Meshify C - Airflow and relatively quiet, best all around case

I) Phanteks Enthoo Pro M / Special Edition (white interior) - Airflow & full water cooling support

I) Fractal Define R6 - Silent with decent airflow

I) Be Quiet! DB 900 (Full Tower) - Airflow and silent 

I) Fractal Design Meshify C mini (mATX)

I) Corsair 400C - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Phanteks 350X - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Fractal Design Focus G

Cases that may be worth your money

I) Thermaltake G21 - GPU and CPU cooling issues, modest tweaking
I) Silverstone RL06 / Pro - Mustard/Ketchup wires, Shitty cable management, Poor front radiator support, useless psu filter, stupid ssd layout
I) In Win 303

I) Coolermaster H500 no suffix - if 200mm fans are your thing

I) NZXT H700 non "i" version - Needs to come down in price to be worth it

I) Corsair Carbide 100R - Suitable for low end builds

The worst cases - Do Not Buy

I) NZXT S340/Elite, H500, H440 (everything except the H700) Reason: Poor airflow
I) Coolermaster Masterbox 5

Majority of cases on the market

9 minutes ago, ROBOCRIPPLE said:

What a great waste of time... It's useless and overestimates by a ton. The GPUs are 120W cards, add 100W for the rest of the Ryzen system, or 150-200W for the rest of the AM3+ system, and you're more than fine. The lowest wattage decent PSUs start at 400-450W, so those are plenty. 

11 minutes ago, ROBOCRIPPLE said:

I watched a couple of videos regarding which PSU I should get and they recommended using Power Supply calculators.

LTT has got no clue about PSUs, as they have shown about a billion times by now. 

11 minutes ago, ROBOCRIPPLE said:

I don't know what PSUs are available or the prices, so I'll recommend the Straight Power 11 450W, Whisper M 450W, RM550x or Formula 450W. For lower end options, there's the CX450/M, Pure Power 10 400W or Vengeance. 

13 minutes ago, Quadrum said:

PSU calculators are useless and overestimate by a ton, and they usually recommend trash instead of good PSUs. 

:)

45 minutes ago, seon123 said:

What a great waste of time... It's useless and overestimates by a ton. The GPUs are 120W cards, add 100W for the rest of the Ryzen system, or 150-200W for the rest of the AM3+ system, and you're more than fine. The lowest wattage decent PSUs start at 400-450W, so those are plenty. 

LTT has got no clue about PSUs, as they have shown about a billion times by now. 

I don't know what PSUs are available or the prices, so I'll recommend the Straight Power 11 450W, Whisper M 450W, RM550x or Formula 450W. For lower end options, there's the CX450/M, Pure Power 10 400W or Vengeance. 

PSU calculators are useless and overestimate by a ton, and they usually recommend trash instead of good PSUs. 

Dont forget 6-12w per fan.  The R5 2600 has 12x 120mm fans for an average of ~72w at full blast.

Thankfully they likely aren't in the same class as my 120mm Deltas, 50-60w PER fan.  12x of those would pull 600w alone. xD

12 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Dont forget 6-12w per fan.  The R5 2600 has 12x 120mm fans for an average of ~72w at full blast.

Not how you measure fan wattage. Fans use 1-2W.

I measured my server's wattage once, ran i3, 8GB ram 10x4TB drives 6x 3000RPM fans that took up 78W while idle total and 105W at full peak. Mind you these are industrial fans.

Best Cases overall

I) Fractal Design Meshify C - Airflow and relatively quiet, best all around case

I) Phanteks Enthoo Pro M / Special Edition (white interior) - Airflow & full water cooling support

I) Silverstone RL06 / Pro - Mustard/Ketchup wires, Shitty cable management, Poor front radiator support, useless psu filter, stupid ssd layout
I) In Win 303

I) NZXT S340/Elite, H500, H440 (everything except the H700) Reason: Poor airflow

1 minute ago, Gedgn said:

That's not accurate and cannot be measured in that way. Fans use 1-2W.

I measured my server's wattage once, ran i3, 8GB ram 10x4TB drives 6x 3000RPM fans that took up 78W while idle total and 105W at full peak. Mind you these are industrial fans.

The fans pull max current during ramp up, which can take a significant amount of time for some units, and this CAN trip OCP on some PSUs.

16 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Thankfully they likely aren't in the same class as my 120mm Deltas, 50-60w PER fan.  12x of those would pull 600w alone. xD

Not really. Here TPU measured a maximum current of 0,062A for the ML120 Pro. The NF-F12 is rated 0,05A max. The A12x25 is rated for 0,14A max. 

11 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Not really. Here TPU measured a maximum current of 0,062A for the ML120 Pro. The NF-F12 is rated 0,05A max. The A12x25 is rated for 0,14A max. 

Apologies, the majority of my fan rating experience comes from units that actually move air.  Sub 60 CFM is not worth spending $20 on IMHO.

I usually don't run the 260 CFM Deltas in a daily driver, I tend to stick with PWM fans in the 100 CFM ballpark.  They can be slowed down enough to be nearly silent (~800 RPM) yet can still be cranked up for suicide runs should I want to do so.

@KarathKasun How are your Deltas pulling 50W - 60W?? Wouldn't it be more along the lines of 20W - 30W ( from what I saw at newegg not sure which models you have), since current is at around 1.4 - 2 amps rated at 12V?

Best Cases overall

I) In Win 303

10 minutes ago, ROBOCRIPPLE said:

On Amazon.ca, there is an EVGA 500W PSU for only $40 Canadian Rubles. Is it a good power supply?

Nope.

At the least go for the I believe $65 MasterWatt 450/CX450M.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

4 minutes ago, ROBOCRIPPLE said:

On Amazon.ca, there is an EVGA 500W PSU for only $40 Canadian Rubles. Is it a good power supply?

No, it's crap. $40 is about $40 too much for it. 

The Masterwatt 450W is the cheapest PSU that isn't crap. Currently on backorder. 

http://www.vuugo.com/coolermaster-psu-MPX-4501-AMAAB-US.html?tracking=5108053939762

Then there's the Masterwatt 650W for $65 after rebate. 

http://www.vuugo.com/coolermaster-psu-MPX-6501-AMAAB-US.html?tracking=5108053939762

And the CX450M, if you need one that's in stock right now, and you won't use rebates. 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

40 minutes ago, seon123 said:

No, it's crap. $40 is about $40 too much for it. 

The Masterwatt 450W is the cheapest PSU that isn't crap. Currently on backorder. 

http://www.vuugo.com/coolermaster-psu-MPX-4501-AMAAB-US.html?tracking=5108053939762

Then there's the Masterwatt 650W for $65 after rebate. 

http://www.vuugo.com/coolermaster-psu-MPX-6501-AMAAB-US.html?tracking=5108053939762

And the CX450M, if you need one that's in stock right now, and you won't use rebates. 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

Vuugo is a bad idea lol, all me and my family experiences with it have been terrible, with service like

• Not shipping orders
  • No returns
  • No customer service
  • Probably using China Post to ship from their warehouse that's probably on the Yangtze River

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 hours ago, ROBOCRIPPLE said:

Not really. If your system had no dGPU or something then sure, but not for this system.

The cheapest PSU you should get is a Cooler Master MasterWatt or Corsair CX450/CX450M, bar none.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Alright, once I have the money I'll pick up the Seasonic Focus+ SSR-550FX, or maybe just the Crosair CX450M. TY guys for helping me choose a PSU.

Should I replace my Rosewill 600W PSU as well? I've been using it with my older gaming hardware for about 3 years and it's been working with my current gaming PC just fine. However, I've heard that Rosewill had a pretty bad reputation when it came to power supplies. IIRC the PSU's 80+ rating is Gold.

Impossible to tell without knowing the model of your power supply.

Imagine asking: I have a 4GB nVidia graphics card,  is it fast? I heard nVidia cards have a reputation for being fast.

It could be either a pretty fast GTX970 or a slow GT630 4GB, so impossible to answer without the model.

12 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Impossible to tell without knowing the model of your power supply.

Imagine asking: I have a 4GB nVidia graphics card,  is it fast? I heard nVidia cards have a reputation for being fast.

It could be either a pretty fast GTX970 or a slow GT630 4GB, so impossible to answer without the model.

I don't know the exact model of the PSU. Sorry. I do know that it is semi-modular and has black, yellow, red, orange and purple wires. Also, IIRC it has an 80+ rating of Gold. It looks like this PSU, it probably is that one, but an older model.

On 8/14/2018 at 5:08 PM, Gedgn said:

@KarathKasun How are your Deltas pulling 50W - 60W?? Wouldn't it be more along the lines of 20W - 30W ( from what I saw at newegg not sure which models you have), since current is at around 1.4 - 2 amps rated at 12V?

Delta model PFB1212UHE-F00, DC 12V 4.8A, 5500RPM, 252 CFM, 35 mmAq pressure, 67 dBA.

I think it was ~40 USD when I bought it.  If installed as the only case fan in the exhaust position, it sucks sheets of paper off my desk onto the front of the case when its at full power. xD

Temps for EVERY component also drop by 10-20c if used as a case fan.