Installing Windows 7 on a Z370 Gaming K6

Meliodafu

Hey. So as you can see from the title I have a question about how to install Windows 7 on this motherboard. When I built my new PC about 6 or 7 months ago I couldn't install it and when I asked a friend why he told me that it's because the motherboard doesn't support it so I had to install Windows 10 instead. Over this time I've been using it but I really don't like it. I heard there is a way to install Windows 7 but I can't seem to find how anywhere. Can anyone light me up on that one? Thanks.

The newer line of cpus and such do not support windows 10  Windows 7, so you're stuck. Unless you hop on that linux life.

Edited

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

You can probably install Windows 7 like normal and you can probably use Windows 10 drivers since the driver model hasn't changed much if at all. But that's not a guarantee.

When companies say they won't support X hardware on Y OS, it just means you're on your own if you use that combination.

2 minutes ago, Meliodafu said:

What do you mean? I'm using windows 10 as I said?

Super sorry. At work and typing super quickly. I meant the newer line will not support windows 7

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You can probably install Windows 7 like normal and you can probably use Windows 10 drivers since the driver model hasn't changed much if at all. But that's not a guarantee.

When companies say they won't support X hardware on Y OS, it just means you're on your own if you use that combination.

I can't install it though. If I could I wouldn't be asking for help here. Thing is when I boot the USB to try and install it, it just freezes and that's it. I've heard that there is something I need to install for me to be able to install windows 7 but I can't find what it is.

3 minutes ago, Meliodafu said:

I can't install it though. If I could I wouldn't be asking for help here. Thing is when I boot the USB to try and install it, it just freezes and that's it. I've heard that there is something I need to install for me to be able to install windows 7 but I can't find what it is.

If you're using a USB 3.0 port, then that's the problem. Windows 7 doesn't have native USB 3.0 support.

This may help, just switch the relevant hardware/drivers to whatever your hardware is: https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/1642446-how-install-windows-7-coffee-lake-pc-z370-chipset-mb-asus-maximus-x-hero.html

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

oh, is it USB 3 drivers? o_o

I don't think so. What do you mean?

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you're using a USB 3.0 port, then that's the problem. Windows 7 doesn't have native USB 3.0 support.

This may help, just switch the relevant hardware/drivers to whatever your hardware is: https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/1642446-how-install-windows-7-coffee-lake-pc-z370-chipset-mb-asus-maximus-x-hero.html

I see, thing is I only have 3.0 ports on my case sadly. I'll check it out, thanks.

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

i vaguely remember installing windows 7 on newer platforms require USB 3.0 drivers because the installer was meant for a DVD install and didn't have it by default

think that was around the Z170 era, so maybe this might be it? (alternatively find a USB 2 stick. or stick it to a USB 2.0 port. or tape off the five squares on the USB 3.0 port on the pc temporarily)

Yeah M.Yurizaki said that Windows 7 apparently doesn't support USB 3.0. Sadly though, I have only 3.0's and no disk support (forgot how the device for that was called in english lol)

learn to live with W10, there is no more support for W7, you will have problems with drivers and i believe igpu's are not supported for example. It makes no sense to use W7 with that PC

-= Thread Cleaned =-

Keep it civil.

~Sans

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Download the Windows 7 ISO

Download: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=261560.0

Install

Select your ISO

You don't have to tick "USB 3.0 DRIVERS"

Just make your bootable with that MSI Smarttool and you will be able to run Windows 7

I can't give you details on the settings of the program cuz im on vacation

I'll try to help as much as I can

Windows 7 on Ryzen seems to be a hit or miss affair.  I've personally installed Windows 7 on a system with Ryzen 2200G and an ASUS A320 mobo and it would just not go through. Some kind of BIOS-related error.

On the flipside there are people who have gotten it installed on 7th or 8th gen Intel rigs and even have a patch for it:

There's also a patch to disable that nag update: https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

From the site: "Disables the "Unsupported Hardware" message in Windows Update, and allows you to continue installing updates on Windows 7 and 8.1 systems with Intel Kaby Lake, AMD Ryzen, or other unsupported processors."

Read about it in the OC forums that I frequent: https://www.overclock.net/forum/132-windows/1690905-microsoft-blocks-win-7-8-1-updates-7th-gen-intel-amd-cpus-not-true.html

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

Lots of people have reported the MSI Smart Tool linked-to by Globox to solve their Windows 7 installation issues.

On 14/08/2018 at 7:59 AM, Br3tt96 said:

The newer line of cpus and such do not support windows 10  Windows 7, so you're stuck. Unless you hop on that linux life.

Edited

All new Intel CPUs should work with Windows 7. Microsoft's "we don't support newer CPUs in Windows 7" shtick just means that Microsoft doesn't want people using Windows 7 because Microsoft wants to steal their personal data in Windows 10 and sell it for profit.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987