is it conformed that the new GPU's are gonna kill of SLI?

saif96

been wondering about it, alot of people are saying that SLI is did does that mean the new GPU's will not work on SLI at all?

we have no confirmation about new gpu's, there are rumours about new sli like connector聽

Well, SLI is kind of dead since the pascal cards came out.

3 and 4-way is no longer supported and game manufacturers usually don't even bother with SLI profiles anymore.

But maybe we will see more games聽coming that heavily support mGPU. Works somewhat similar, but only on DX12 titles.

SLI isn't dead and it will not be dead with the new GPUs.

If it's dead then I must've have been playing my Witcher 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider in 4213x1768 on max details with 100fps in some kind of alternative reality.

CPU: i7 6950X聽 |聽 Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10聽 |聽 RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)聽 |聽 GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME聽 |聽 PSU: In Win SIV 1065W

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings &聽Connectors | Alphacool聽Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0聽 |聽 Display: Alienware AW3418DW聽 |聽 Sound: Woo Audio聽WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia聽Headphones

8 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

If it's dead then I must've have been playing my Witcher 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider in 4213x1768 on max details with 100fps in some kind of alternative reality.

SLI and crossfire has been dying. There is no denying it. 100fps at that rez is not unheard of using a 1080ti.聽

Today there is no point in using SLI or getting it. (Unlesd you are that kind of person who has SLI because "it looks cool"

Just now, GoldenLag said:

100fps at that rez is not unheard of using a 1080ti.聽

It's actually average 107 on the benchmark and I'd like to see someone do it with a single 1080ti. That would be something. I have two of them, I have tested them and I know how they scale in those games.

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Unlesd you are that kind of person who has SLI because "it looks cool"

Obviously. It looks incredibly cool.

Look, the topic of SLI has been beaten to death on these forums. There is a thread about every few days and then the same things are said be the same people, the same links are posted etc. So I'm not gonna go at length here because frankly its a waste of time.聽

You say it's dead, I say it's not, let's agree to disagree and move on.

CPU: i7 6950X聽 |聽 Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10聽 |聽 RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)聽 |聽 GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME聽 |聽 PSU: In Win SIV 1065W

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings &聽Connectors | Alphacool聽Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0聽 |聽 Display: Alienware AW3418DW聽 |聽 Sound: Woo Audio聽WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia聽Headphones

3 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

You say it's dead, I say it's not, let's agree to disagree and move on.

Thats why i say it dying. Its not dead, but the vast majority of games dont scale well or dont scale at all.聽

I agree its not dead, but its dying.聽

Madden 2019 is brand new and I get about 25-30 more fps on max graphics with Crossfire.聽

Firestrike
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's,聽3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case聽

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz,聽gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

2 hours ago, O9B0666 said:

Madden 2019 is brand new and I get about 25-30 more fps on max graphics with Crossfire.聽

Too bad the game doesn't handle high fps well.聽

5 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

i meant SLI on newer GPU's not the ones you currently have.

I think SLI and Crossfire will continue to decline in support as the years go on, as they always have.

I've been around this space for a long time, and ever since SLI made a large come back with the Geforce 6800 ultra/gts, I've been reading around forums saying "SLI is great, it's going to get better". Guess what, it hasn't and single GPU has always been the best way to go. Crossfire has some terrible negative or zero scaling in many games, worse than SLI.

Multi-GPU isn't even supported in VR, where it's NEEDED. I think only the Serious Sam game even supports it, in a space where even a 1080ti can be brought to its knees once you crank up the super sampling.

The fact that the DirectX 12 API has native support for multi-gpu, there should be better support, but it's been years and it remains to be seen.

It's a niche market that really should grow, but I don't see developers budging on it, even when the APIs have been handed to them on a silver platter.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance聽LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre聽C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB)聽DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel聽600p 256GB聽NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

It likely won't die because there's always going to be someone willing to shell out the big bucks for it. But the appeal isn't really there for most people. It doesn't make sense to double-up on midrange cards because you usually end up with less VRAM and need a bigger power supply anyway. And doubling up on a high-end card is basically enough to buy a decent gaming PC outright.

And as I was told once, SLI/Crossfire gives you performance of the future, with features of today. Or by the time said performance catches up, it becomes the performance of today with the features of yesterday.

57 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It likely won't die because there's always going to be someone willing to shell out the big bucks for it. But the appeal isn't really there for most people. It doesn't make sense to double-up on midrange cards because you usually end up with less VRAM and need a bigger power supply anyway. And doubling up on a high-end card is basically enough to buy a decent gaming PC outright.

And as I was told once, SLI/Crossfire gives you performance of the future, with features of today. Or by the time said performance catches up, it becomes the performance of today with the features of yesterday.

There have been many generations of graphics cards where the new generation flagship was as fast/faster than the previous flagship in SLI.

I remember this back when I owned a Geforce 7800GTX. A single Geforce 7800GTX beat out two 6800gts/ultras in SLI.

This tended to be consistent IIRC, so your logic is sound on this.

SLI this generation IMO was a must if you really wanted 4K60 performance at Pascal launch. The fact that this generation has gone for over two years, those people got their money's worth IMO and will continue to do so. However, that really isn't the norm.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB)聽DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel聽600p 256GB聽NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

11 minutes ago, Jon Jon said:

SLI this generation IMO was a must if you really wanted 4K60 performance at Pascal launch. The fact that this generation has gone for over two years, those people got their money's worth IMO and will continue to do so. However, that really isn't the norm.

And then came the GTX 1080 Ti that is basically the closest thing we have to a single card that can perform 4K60.

I'm kind of excited what the next generation will bring.

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

And then came the GTX 1080 Ti that is basically the closest thing we have to a single card that can perform 4K60.

I'm kind of excited what the next generation will bring.

I am expecting 4K60 w/ HDR along with smooth as butter VR experiences with all of the bells and whistles turned up.

As is, the new generation supposedly supports the new single USB-C standard for newer VR headsets, which I am excited about.

I have an active HDMI repeater along with USB extensions for routing my Oculus Headset up via pulleys on my ceiling. I would love to have a single quick disconnect cable to handle all of that. It honestly looks like a squid coming out from behind my PC when I setup for room scale VR.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro