Questions on Ryzen and NVMe

Go to solution Solved by Sakkura,

The CPU has an extra PCIe 3.0 x4 connection specifically intended for an NVMe SSD, and there are also PCIe lanes available from the chipset. It will work just fine.

Just a general question for anyone out there that can help before I buy a 970 pro NVMe drive.

I have a Ryzen 7 1700 with a pair of 16 GB Dominator platinums paired with a FE 1070 on an ASUS ROG B350-F board. 

If I were to buy the 970 pro NVMe SSD would I be able to even install it due to the 16 PCIe lanes offered from my CPU? It has an NVMe slot on the board and I've looked and read around and it seems like it should work but I wanted to ask the LMG crowd before I did anything too hastily. 

(Here are the links to the board and the SSD if anyone needs them)

https://www.amazon.com/ROG-B350-F-GAMING-DisplayPort-Motherboard/dp/B071SGQP1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533593681&sr=8-1&keywords=b350+asus+strix

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BYHGNB5/ref=emc_b_5_i

The CPU has an extra PCIe 3.0 x4 connection specifically intended for an NVMe SSD, and there are also PCIe lanes available from the chipset. It will work just fine.

It has 20 PCI-e lanes in total , 16 for expansion cards + an extra 4 dedicated to storage. You're fine.

The Ryzen 7 1700 includes 20 PCIe lanes supporting Gen1, Gen2, and Gen3: 16 for a DGP and 4 for storage (NVMe or 2 ports SATA Express). PHY of 16 lanes may each have a maximum of 8 PCIe ports (x1, x2, x4, x8, x16).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

Awesome! Thanks so much. Just really wanted a second opinion on it :D

The Ryzen 1700 has 24 PCIe lanes. So unless you're using anything other than a graphics card that works at x16 pcie 3.0 speeds, and a bunch of other expension cards that will eat up all the lenes left, you will be fine. 
That's why you get 2 NVMe slots in some higer end x470/x370 boards to pair em in raid 0 config. Each of them uses 4 lanes, that's why it is enough for the consumer ryzen lineups which have 24 PCIe lanes. 

console.log("way to pro");

27 minutes ago, KriticalCush said:

If I were to buy the 970 pro NVMe SSD would I be able to even install it due to the 16 PCIe lanes offered from my CPU? It has an NVMe slot on the board and I've looked and read around and it seems like it should work but I wanted to ask the LMG crowd before I did anything too hastily. 

The CPU has 32 Lanes. Though due to package limitations, not all of those are usable.

-16 for the GPU and another 4 for the Chipset.

THe Sources I've seen talk about 24 Lanes for the Socket, though I'm not sure if that includes the Chipset or not. Of if there is something shared or not...

So you have at least 4 Lanes for the PCIe from the CPU...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

23 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

The CPU has 32 Lanes. Though due to package limitations, not all of those are usable.

-16 for the GPU and another 4 for the Chipset.

THe Sources I've seen talk about 24 Lanes for the Socket, though I'm not sure if that includes the Chipset or not. Of if there is something shared or not...

So you have at least 4 Lanes for the PCIe from the CPU...

Spoiler

kSOBbv5.png

(B350 motherboard means a little less stuff on the chipset, but the stuff from the CPU is unchanged apart from the x8/x8 splitting)