Corsair VS450 (Orange vs Grey)

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Both VS Series are double forward with group regulation.  The original VS Series is made by CWT and is 230V only.  The new one is made by HEC and supports full range input and uses more robust FETs that handle transient loads a lot better than the CWT version.

Also the HEC version is thicker steel and 15mm shorter in depth than the old version; so it's stronger and fits well in small builds.

What is the difference between a vs 450 grey and a orange because visually they do look different but is one more reliable the other?

6 minutes ago, NnoNno said:

What is the difference between a vs 450 grey and a orange because visually they do look different but is one more reliable the other?

The gray label VS units have been updated and are a bit better than the older orange label units, though neither are really great. If it's possible, get something a bit better like a gray label CX unit.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

They are both VS units which are regarded as pretty crappy, I think the grey is "newer" but they are both ultra budget and I would suggest a CXM or CX (2017) instead

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

The new VS I would buy for a low-end system. The old VS is just an older version of that from a time period where it would have been used for the same thing. Standards have just changed. Neither is a great unit.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 hours ago, LukzForEver said:

I suggest corsair txm 80plus gold. 

A man walks into a Nissan dealership. He tells the salesman that he's looking at a Versa, but isn't sure whether to go with a new model or a certified pre-owned from the previous year. The salesman says, "I suggest a GT-R Nismo."

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 hours ago, aisle9 said:

A man walks into a Nissan dealership. He tells the salesman that he's looking at a Versa, but isn't sure whether to go with a new model or a certified pre-owned from the previous year. The salesman says, "I suggest a GT-R Nismo."

Hell yeah

Both VS Series are double forward with group regulation.  The original VS Series is made by CWT and is 230V only.  The new one is made by HEC and supports full range input and uses more robust FETs that handle transient loads a lot better than the CWT version.

Also the HEC version is thicker steel and 15mm shorter in depth than the old version; so it's stronger and fits well in small builds.

39 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

The old one was 160mm deep?? oO @jonnyGURU

140mm. 

The new one is only 125mm (I fixed the 20mm to 15mm in my last post).

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2018 at 4:31 AM, jonnyGURU said:

Do the grey ones have the same capxcon capacitors or have they made an improvement? 

2 hours ago, Schumacher said:

Do the grey ones have the same capxcon capacitors or have they made an improvement? 

The new version is a completely different unit.   It has absolutely no connection with the old unit.