New Gaming Pc Psu Issue

GasMonkey

Hello guys,

I just built a new gaming pc and with the corsair rm750i psu.

At the first moment there was a death silence from my build, and half an hour later the psu started coil whining..I figured out that it happens every time the pc is not idle and it actually gets louder as i play more.

That coil whine drove me nuts so I contacted the place I bought the psu from and they tested the psu on a test bench with a silimar wattage load ( about 430w in avrage ) and it made lots of coil whining so they replaced it to another rm750i and it had the same whining problem..now im without any psu and considering to go with different brand sch as seasonic prime 650w platinum, though i'd prefer to stick with corsair..

Can anyone suggest me how to solve this?

Does it make any sence that the coil whining caused by an excess psu wattage? ( I know its too much wattage for my load even 550 will do the job )

Thanks in advance :)

RM750i Coil Whining.m4a

Coil whine can happen at any load in any PSU period. Maybe @jonnyGURUcan give us some insight as to RMi coil whine rates or something like that.

If you've had bad luck with two different units then you can try another unit. However, there's no guarantee that the Prime Platinum you get would not have coil whine. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

If it whined at home and at the shop, you can probably rule out environmental variables. I'd love to get my hands on that unit to see if there's a poem with that particular lot.  If you can PM me the serial number and the name of the reseller that would be great. 

39 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

If it whined at home and at the shop, you can probably rule out environmental variables. I'd love to get my hands on that unit to see if there's a poem with that particular lot.  If you can PM me the serial number and the name of the reseller that would be great. 

I returned both of the whining psus back to the store so right now I'm without any psu and with the money in my hands.

What do you think I should do/consider?

Btw theres a sound clip of the whining poetry :)

I don't know.  If two whine, all of the units from that shop may whine.  That's why I want to know the serial number and/or the reseller's name. Because the whine is not normal for RMi. 

8 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I don't know.  If two whine, all of the units from that shop may whine.  That's why I want to know the serial number and/or the reseller's name. Because the whine is not normal for RMi. 

Well, I'm from Israel and the store i bought it from called Ivory.

I can buy the RMi from many different shops.

14 hours ago, GasMonkey said:

Well.. you could give that a shot.  Seriously, the RMi shouldn't have coil whine.  I'd love to get my hands on one of those units and see why it's making noises.

On 2018-08-02 at 11:26 PM, GasMonkey said:

Well, any unit may whine.

Try getting it from another shop, or even a RMx instead.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

14 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

Well, any unit may whine.

Yes. but that's Hardware dependant.

If you try the same PSU with different Motherboard from Differend Manufacturer, it might not whine for example. Or sometimes you need to have a specific Board with a specific Graphics Card and a specific Harddrive to have PSU Noise you don't want.

So a Unit that whines on every occasion is a bit unusualll

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I tried the psu on a test bench with different everything and two rm750i units did the same whining

SOLVED !

I installed this time the Seasonic Prime 650W Platinum and no more coil whining.