GTX 1080 Ti not performing like a 1080 Ti (HELP!)

On 8/5/2018 at 9:07 PM, Jordan1 said:

Hello again so ive installed a brand new cooler for my ccpu and actually went installed windows on a brand new out of the box ssd as well, and as my cpu temps are significantly lower than before, my gpu is constantly dropping in usage. As an example in games like battlefield 1 and fortnite, my frames will drop really low and i will see 50% usage. Is this my gpu or the game or my cpu im so lost!! @faziten 

Sup, well first things first:

We need to ckeck, CPU usage when this slowdown happen, CPU clock and of course, CPU temperature.

Play some games, (Battlefield 1 should be the best, since its more stable than fortnite and scales across every thread of your cpu). Let MSI run in background once you experience the frame frop, play a few seconds and then ALT+TAB. Post images of MSI afterburner here so i can see what is happening.

cheers!

I hope this helps , I have a 4790k with a 1070 playing at 1440p 165hz with no bottlenecks, Just ultra is ultra settings, He mentioned all on max settings and expect 0 frame drops?, I play all games with that setup 120-165 fps but ultra is not fps optimized that cpu can hold any game at that fps rate but ultra means quality > performance just low to high and look for fps.

Now the sweet , 4790k + noctua nhd15 @ 4,6  :D  this is playing rainbow 6 at high 1440p 120fps

IMG-20180623-WA0015.jpg

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

On 8/1/2018 at 1:48 PM, Jordan1 said:

I recently bought a GTX 1080 Ti off amazon for $750 USD to replace my GTX 960 4gb in my build with an i7 4790k. In the first games i tested it was flawless, achieving near 200 fps at 1080p Max settings. These games include (Rainbow Six Siege, Doom, and Black ops 3.) I tested out a few games there after like Fortnite, Dishonored 2, and Battlefield one, And they all ran a lot choppier on max settings 1080p. Now i know that saying 90-100 fps is bad would be a weird statement, but for a 1080 Ti at 1080p to be dropping down to 100 (70-90 in Dishonored 2 and Fortnite) i just feel like a 1080 Ti should be able to play these games performing better. Im trying to reach my refresh rate of 144hz (Main reason i bought the card)

I thought at first my i7-4790k was bottle necking. I opened MSI Afterburner to evaluate my system specs, and as far as i can tell the GPU is always being Utilized more than the CPU, It never goes above it. If i cannot fix the problem i do plan to replace my CPU, but as the time being i want to stick to my current setup.

If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated THANK YOU!

should be around i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz look at this video if gonna upgrade the CPU would wait for i9 9900k or i7 9700k in october

On 8/7/2018 at 1:20 AM, faziten said:

Sup, well first things first:

We need to ckeck, CPU usage when this slowdown happen, CPU clock and of course, CPU temperature.

Play some games, (Battlefield 1 should be the best, since its more stable than fortnite and scales across every thread of your cpu). Let MSI run in background once you experience the frame frop, play a few seconds and then ALT+TAB. Post images of MSI afterburner here so i can see what is happening.

cheers!

Sorry for late response i have been really busy with work, im going to run BF1 now. I do notice something, in games like fortnite i dropped the settings all the way down to low the gpu at that point isnt even being used its below 20% and cpu around 50% im going to try battlefield and see if i get a similar result @faziten

Now i know i shouldnt be complaining about 80 fps in a game like this i just think i should be able to reach my monitors refresh rate (144hz) with a card + cpu combo like this.

The GPU and CPU were both hitting max usage, and the max frames per second i saw were about 85 ? for a 1080 Ti this game should easy to run at 1080p correct? @faziten 

bf1 cpu.PNG

bf1.PNG

5 hours ago, Jordan1 said:

Now i know i shouldnt be complaining about 80 fps in a game like this i just think i should be able to reach my monitors refresh rate (144hz) with a card + cpu combo like this.

The GPU and CPU were both hitting max usage, and the max frames per second i saw were about 85 ? for a 1080 Ti this game should easy to run at 1080p correct? @faziten 

bf1 cpu.PNG

bf1.PNG

I cant see the entire statistics (for future threads post the entire statistic window, dont leave important data such as frame time and fps), but from what i can see you are running into a cpu bottleneck.

The thing is your 1080Ti at 99% 1080p with (as you claim 85FPS).

Make sure you are not using Dynamic Super resolution in NVidia control panel and you are at 100% (not 200%) resolution scale in-game settings.

1 hour ago, faziten said:

I cant see the entire statistics (for future threads post the entire statistic window, dont leave important data such as frame time and fps), but from what i can see you are running into a cpu bottleneck.

The thing is your 1080Ti at 99% 1080p with (as you claim 85FPS).

Make sure you are not using Dynamic Super resolution in NVidia control panel and you are at 100% (not 200%) resolution scale in-game settings.

Sorry about that,and im now realizing that my in game was on 200% and my NVidia Control panel had 4.00% on but may resolution was still at 1080p

i turned off all of those settings but the same result...around 80-90 fps 100% res scale at 1080p. would you like me too send msi afterburner results (low GPU usage now about 50-60)

12 hours ago, Jordan1 said:

Sorry about that,and im now realizing that my in game was on 200% and my NVidia Control panel had 4.00% on but may resolution was still at 1080p

i turned off all of those settings but the same result...around 80-90 fps 100% res scale at 1080p. would you like me too send msi afterburner results (low GPU usage now about 50-60)

Now at least the GPU performance makes sense. having about 60% of usage with 90FPS would make 150FPS, which makes sense in a Haswell build.

We have to deal with your CPU being at 100%. Id recommend you launch the game, and set it on windowed mode so you can have the taskmanager on top. Show the "processes" TAB, lets see if its the Game being heavy as fk or something else messing with your rig while gaming (Game running on background, task manager on top, hit screenshot, paste here).

On 8/9/2018 at 9:50 AM, faziten said:

Now at least the GPU performance makes sense. having about 60% of usage with 90FPS would make 150FPS, which makes sense in a Haswell build.

We have to deal with your CPU being at 100%. Id recommend you launch the game, and set it on windowed mode so you can have the taskmanager on top. Show the "processes" TAB, lets see if its the Game being heavy as fk or something else messing with your rig while gaming (Game running on background, task manager on top, hit screenshot, paste here).

Ill do that in a little. im just so lost now is this a glitch or something because now every game shows 0% GPU usage in msi afterburner but the game is still running ?? anyway do u want like a full screen shot of my desktop with the game and task manager side by side ? @faziten

11 minutes ago, Jordan1 said:

Ill do that in a little. im just so lost now is this a glitch or something because now every game shows 0% GPU usage in msi afterburner but the game is still running ?? anyway do u want like a full screen shot of my desktop with the game and task manager side by side ? @faziten

just let msi run in the backgound with onscreendisplay in the game and the task manager on top so i can see both reports. in the screenshot

6 hours ago, faziten said:

just let msi run in the backgound with onscreendisplay in the game and the task manager on top so i can see both reports. in the screenshot

Just ran BF1 with OSD and task manager. windowed mode was getting better frames than full screen but still lackluster gpu usage. Hope this is usable

bf1 benchmark.PNG

9 hours ago, Jordan1 said:

Just ran BF1 with OSD and task manager. windowed mode was getting better frames than full screen but still lackluster gpu usage. Hope this is usable

bf1 benchmark.PNG

Now we are on "normal" performance.

111 fps with 73% cpu usage and 55% of 1080Ti in 1080P.

Doing a quick search is just right.

Subject one (Same performance as yours in similar conditions never locking 144hz):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIIYt5U_t5M

subject two: (About same performance but in 1440p, increased gpu usage and cpu usage but never locking 144hz)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwJ3j06hSN4

subject three: (Close to locking 144Hz... the difference: 2133Mhz RAM).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noS4U442O0Y

In short: You are performing just about right compared againt other people with similar settings (sadly also different maps, so one can never compare 1:1).

The BIG pattern is: with 4790K higher RAM clock speeds seem to help in BF1 to get the desired 144hz or close to that.

The final answer is: Your PC is fine. if you want to extract every last bit of FPS that cpu can throw, you must pair it with 2133Mhz RAM. If it's worth the money is up to you.

11 hours ago, faziten said:

You are performing just about right compared againt other people with similar settings

As i said before i was getting 110-120 Frames in windowed mode, it still about 70-90 in Fullscreen/Borderless 

But you are saying that i need better RAM? what about games like Fortnite, it more than Battlefield i was just using Battlefield as a benchmark thinking its more demanding.

I would make the Ram upgrade over the CPU upgrade if my CPU isnt the problem. My goal when i bout the 1080 ti was to play most games with max settings 144 fps, thinking my CPU or RAM wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks

12 hours ago, Jordan1 said:

As i said before i was getting 110-120 Frames in windowed mode, it still about 70-90 in Fullscreen/Borderless 

But you are saying that i need better RAM? what about games like Fortnite, it more than Battlefield i was just using Battlefield as a benchmark thinking its more demanding.

I would make the Ram upgrade over the CPU upgrade if my CPU isnt the problem. My goal when i bout the 1080 ti was to play most games with max settings 144 fps, thinking my CPU or RAM wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks

You are not alone: take a peek:

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_live/comments/90w8m9/acknowledge_and_fix_bf1_performance_issues_on_pc/

Let me be technical:

The main issue here is your CPU high usage (probably caused by crap EA patching). You can help it with CPU overclock (and proper cooling), faster RAM speeds and FPS limiting. If you limit your FPS (to, lets say 80fps), you may have better performance than letting it jump to high spikes it can't handle properly.

On top of this we have, new battlefield coming soon (low attention from EA to old titles), new NV GPUs coming soon (NV sometimes crap their own drivers for good) and windows launching breaking updates without even asking. AND! (yeah not over yet) the Spectre/Meltdown microcode patches. Jayz2Cent found a 15% CPU performance loss from retrospective comparisson (here is the moment where he explains). I believe you can disable such patches with command line, but it's not the wisest thing to do.

https://youtu.be/wTtVnsPZh4k?t=257

The conclusion would be:

It's not your rig's fault. Your PC is performing within parameters in BF1.

If you wish we may proceed with finding a reason to why you have better performance windowed mode rather than fullscreen or, we may proceed with another game (say fortnite?). You know the deal, post MSI statistics of a 5 minute gameplay.

Cheers!

8 hours ago, faziten said:

If you wish we may proceed with finding a reason to why you have better performance windowed mode rather than fullscreen or, we may proceed with another game (say fortnite?). You know the deal, post MSI statistics of a 5 minute gameplay.

Cheers!

Can Do! So im not sure what games you play but in fortnite the area of the map around Tilted towers gets very laggy (ive seen forums saying its CPU intensive around there but ill ust let you take a look for your self) I'll show highest preset settings and then what i call competitive settings (AA and shadows off, view distance, textures, and effects on EPIC setting) All on 100% render Scale 

This is me not at Tilted towers with competitive settings

MSI 1 NO TILTED TOWERS COMP SETTINGS.PNG

MSI 2 NO TILTED TOWERS COMP SETTINGS.PNG

MSI 3 NO TILTED TOWERS COMP SETTINGS.PNG

MSI 4 NO TILTED TOWERS COMP SETTINGS.PNG

competitive settings.PNG

And this is looking at it tilted towers, the Frames drop down to mid 80's right as i look at it and it gets all choppy like how battlefield looked choppy

Its basically the same for EPIC settings but the GPU usage is a little higher. I've noticed that the GPU doesn't even try with lower settings, but then when i bump up the graphic settings the gpu usage goes up

EPIC SETTINGS.PNG

MSI 1 TILTED TOWERS COMP SETTINGS.PNG

MSI 2 TILTED TOWERS COMP SETTINGS.PNG

MSI 3 TILTED TOWERS COMP SETTINGS.PNG

MSI 4 TILTED TOWERS COMP SETTINGS.PNG

1 minute ago, Jordan1 said:

Its basically the same for EPIC settings but the GPU usage is a little higher. I've noticed that the GPU doesn't even try with lower settings, but then when i bump up the graphic settings the gpu usage goes up

Oh the msi screen shots while looking at tilted towers are done with competitive settings @faziten

2 hours ago, Jordan1 said:

Oh the msi screen shots while looking at tilted towers are done with competitive settings @faziten

Absolutely awful frametime. No wonder you see choppines. Well we must track why those frametime spikes are happening.

image.png.d6c9a9f4b75df18659386117a64f203b.png

I have a couple of ideas but i need more info (you could do the following incremental tests. All is reversible and fairly easy to isolate, so id require 3 separate tests):

1) I see you have plenty pagefile allocation: Lets tackle that. Set your pagefile to use only your SSD and set a minimum and maximum size of 1024MB. (one gigabyte).

Reboot windows and try fortnite in EPIC settings. (For best performance, shadows, post processing, and antialisasion should be minimum but let's try epic first).

2) If (1) didn't solve the issue, i'd set a frame limit (with MSI afterburner) to max 144hz (your monitor refreshrate). The idea is to iron down those framelatency spikes since they are percieved as stutter or micro freezes.

3) Download Latency monitor. if the issue is not solved by 1 and 2 combined you will need to see if any driver is messing around with the O.S. In order to use this software, you only need to execute it, and select the green "play" button in the top left. Leave it be on the background and after a 5 min gaming session alt-tab and post a screenshot of "drivers" and "processes" tab (from latencymon).

Note: This could also impact other games in your system (by impact i mean change their bahavior but in a good way, so if at some point of testing you find the gameplay experience improves, test other games proactively and paste results here).

good luck!

1) I see you have plenty pagefile allocation: Lets tackle that. Set your pagefile to use only your SSD and set a minimum and maximum size of 1024MB. (one gigabyte).

Reboot windows and try fortnite in EPIC settings. (For best performance, shadows, post processing, and antialisasion should be minimum but let's try epic first).

Im afraid i dont understand? @faziten

8 hours ago, Jordan1 said:

Im afraid i dont understand? @faziten

oh, i meant that you configure the pagefile as follows:

1)hit win+pause buttons and your system info window should pop up.

2) hit advanced system settings

3) advanced tab

4) in "perfromance" category, hit "settings"

5) advanced tab (in this new window) under "virtual memory" category hit "change"

6) Select your C: unit (click on it- im guessing you installed windows in the new SSD so it should be C: unit)

6.1) Untick "Automatically manage page file, bla bla".

6.2) select "custom size" right below the C unit

6.3) initial size should be 1024

6.4) maximum size should be 1024

6.5) hit "SET" button

7) Now for every unit (except from the unit C: we just configured) repeat this:

7.1) click on the letter, ie: D:

7.2) select "no paging file"

7.3) hit "SET" button.

Once you've done all this hit "OK" in every window so it closes.

It should ask you to reboot your PC, reboot it. (it it doesn't ask, then you should reboot it nonetheless). It may take a bit longer to boot at first since it will be a "full reset cycle" and not the fake shutdown/reboot W10 does. Dont worry it will speed up over time.

With all this done, you are able to test the (1).

Dont worry about this, its safe you wont break anything. If you dont like it you can revert it whenever you wish.

cheers!

oh, i meant that you configure the pagefile as follows:

1)hit win+pause buttons and your system info window should pop up.

2) hit advanced system settings

3) advanced tab

4) in "perfromance" category, hit "settings"

5) advanced tab (in this new window) under "virtual memory" category hit "change"

6) Select your C: unit (click on it- im guessing you installed windows in the new SSD so it should be C: unit)

6.1) Untick "Automatically manage page file, bla bla".

6.2) select "custom size" right below the C unit

6.3) initial size should be 1024

6.4) maximum size should be 1024

6.5) hit "SET" button

7) Now for every unit (except from the unit C: we just configured) repeat this:

7.1) click on the letter, ie: D:

7.2) select "no paging file"

7.3) hit "SET" button.

Once you've done all this hit "OK" in every window so it closes.

It should ask you to reboot your PC, reboot it. (it it doesn't ask, then you should reboot it nonetheless). It may take a bit longer to boot at first since it will be a "full reset cycle" and not the fake shutdown/reboot W10 does. Dont worry it will speed up over time.

With all this done, you are able to test the (1).

Dont worry about this, its safe you wont break anything. If you dont like it you can revert it whenever you wish.

cheers!

Did all the steps and it booted up at the same speed about 10-15 seconds?

ill check to see if it was applied

Anyway's what test are we going to do? @faziten

Also i'm not sure this would have an effect but i have been using two monitors through out this whole process. Should i try one?