GTX 1080 Ti not performing like a 1080 Ti (HELP!)

I recently bought a GTX 1080 Ti off amazon for $750 USD to replace my GTX 960 4gb in my build with an i7 4790k. In the first games i tested it was flawless, achieving near 200 fps at 1080p Max settings. These games include (Rainbow Six Siege, Doom, and Black ops 3.) I tested out a few games there after like Fortnite, Dishonored 2, and Battlefield one, And they all ran a lot choppier on max settings 1080p. Now i know that saying 90-100 fps is bad would be a weird statement, but for a 1080 Ti at 1080p to be dropping down to 100 (70-90 in Dishonored 2 and Fortnite) i just feel like a 1080 Ti should be able to play these games performing better. Im trying to reach my refresh rate of 144hz (Main reason i bought the card)

I thought at first my i7-4790k was bottle necking. I opened MSI Afterburner to evaluate my system specs, and as far as i can tell the GPU is always being Utilized more than the CPU, It never goes above it. If i cannot fix the problem i do plan to replace my CPU, but as the time being i want to stick to my current setup.

If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated THANK YOU!

i7-4790k would not bottleneck a 1080ti. Hate when people use the term bottle necking lol 

I get awful frames in bf1 as well, so i wonder if the game is the issue. SUPER choppy. Could try and reinstall drivers, and possibly taking out and resetting your gpu into the pci slot. 

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

6 minutes ago, Jordan1 said:

I recently bought a GTX 1080 Ti off amazon for $750 USD to replace my GTX 960 4gb in my build with an i7 4790k. In the first games i tested it was flawless, achieving near 200 fps at 1080p Max settings. These games include (Rainbow Six Siege, Doom, and Black ops 3.) I tested out a few games there after like Fortnite, Dishonored 2, and Battlefield one, And they all ran a lot choppier on max settings 1080p. Now i know that saying 90-100 fps is bad would be a weird statement, but for a 1080 Ti at 1080p to be dropping down to 100 (70-90 in Dishonored 2 and Fortnite) i just feel like a 1080 Ti should be able to play these games performing better. Im trying to reach my refresh rate of 144hz (Main reason i bought the card)

I thought at first my i7-4790k was bottle necking. I opened MSI Afterburner to evaluate my system specs, and as far as i can tell the GPU is always being Utilized more than the CPU, It never goes above it. If i cannot fix the problem i do plan to replace my CPU, but as the time being i want to stick to my current setup.

If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated THANK YOU!

Always check for the updates first. 

If its up to date then its a bottleneck from cpu/ram/hdd/temps for cpu or gpu

First I would check if any single core on the CPU is pinned. I don't know exactly how much those games can leverage multiple cores, but that's exactly why total CPU usage isn't really a good measure for this. Although an 4790k shouldn't be a big bottleneck if at all. BF1 never gave me really high FPS in the short time that I played it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

9 minutes ago, Jordan1 said:

If the CPU has execution spikes at certain points, that will cause the frame rate to drop.

Lets make it simple, Launch any game you see the chopiness and post here a full window capture of the MSI afterburner statistics tab. So we can all see what is happening while you experience the chopiness and if its related to any form of hardware bottleneck.

Also post driver version and OS.

Uninstall drivers with DDU and reinstall without Geforce Experience 

That's an F in the profile pic

5 minutes ago, faziten said:

Lets make it simple, Launch any game you see the chopiness and post here a full window capture of the MSI afterburner statistics tab. So we can all see what is happening while you experience the chopiness and if its related to any form of hardware bottleneck

I have the specs in the top left showing, Usage of GPU, CPU temps,ram etc will that work?

3 minutes ago, Jordan1 said:

I have the specs in the top left showing, Usage of GPU, CPU temps,ram etc will that work?

nope, we need to see a bigger timewindow.

If you open your MSI afterburner and see the statistics tab/window it will show the performance histogram. That's what we need to see.

Follow this steps:

Keep mi in background

Launch any game where you felt sutter or choppiness.

Play until you feel the stutter or choppiness (if it happens inmediately, keep playing for at least 2 to 5 minutes)

Alt tab, take screenshots of MSI statistics and ctrl+V in a quoted message.

Just now, faziten said:

nope, we need to see a bigger timewindow.

If you open your MSI afterburner and see the statistics tab/window it will show the performance histogram. That's what we need to see.

Follow this steps:

Keep mi in background

Play until you feel the stutter or choppiness (if it happens inmediately, keep playing for at least 2 to 5 minutes)

Okay let me do that really quick

8 minutes ago, faziten said:

Follow this steps:

Keep mi in background

5b61fbbf6e3e6_msimonitor.thumb.PNG.84705df5ef75244e83aad14e4fcd23c4.PNG

Dont mind the 20 Framerate the game paused when i alt tabbed. 

This is Dishonored 2 Ultra preset V-Sync off 1080p, i was getting low 70's and it looked really choppy almost like 30FPS

3 minutes ago, Jordan1 said:

This is Dishonored 2 Ultra preset V-Sync off 1080p, i was getting low 70's and it looked really choppy almost like 30FPS

Try turning v-sync on. Too many frames kills some of my games

Spoiler

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Just now, Br3tt96 said:

Try turning v-sync on. Too many frames kills some of my games

Even with it on the game cant get over 100 FPS even on low settings

1 minute ago, Jordan1 said:

Even with it on the game cant get over 100 FPS even on low settings

Bad 1080ti possibly?

Spoiler

Main Rig

Plex Server WIP

Lenovo Legion Laptop

Just now, Br3tt96 said:

Bad 1080ti possibly?

Its only a few selections of games though which made it weird to me, i have games like Doom, Rainbow Six, Black Ops 3, Mirrors Edge Catalyst, All running maxed out 144 frames + but there is some games that are running poorly 

5 hours ago, Jordan1 said:

5b61fbbf6e3e6_msimonitor.thumb.PNG.84705df5ef75244e83aad14e4fcd23c4.PNG

sorry the delay i had to work on some stuff, i believe theres missing information since the graph only shows cpu1 usage and then cpu usage (which should be the total cpu usage averaging every thread.)

You should have 8 cpu threades since you have a 4790K. So excuse me to say this, this information is not enough, you should include every piece of graph even if you require multiple screenshot.

(Im asuming here you didnt disable CPU cores accidentaly).

Try again and post every last bit of graph!

cheers!

1 hour ago, faziten said:

sorry the delay i had to work on some stuff, i believe theres missing information since the graph only shows cpu1 usage and then cpu usage (which should be the total cpu usage averaging every thread.)

You should have 8 cpu threades since you have a 4790K. So excuse me to say this, this information is not enough, you should include every piece of graph even if you require multiple screenshot.

Try again and post every last bit of graph!

cheers!

Sorry about that i did have them switched off ill rerun the test and send them in a little

1 hour ago, faziten said:

I hope this is the right stuff. Its the same game again Dishonored 2 Ultra preset 1080p V-Sync OFF

let me know if you would like me to show a different game

new msi.PNG

cpu usage.PNG

msi 3.PNG

temps.PNG

46 minutes ago, Jordan1 said:

I hope this is the right stuff. Its the same game again Dishonored 2 Ultra preset 1080p V-Sync OFF

let me know if you would like me to show a different game

new msi.PNG

cpu usage.PNG

msi 3.PNG

temps.PNG

Well its not "bad" but i have a few observations to do:

Your CPU is mostly at 80ºC with a 56% load in a game. That's HOT. Do you have any overclock in place or are you running in stock heatsink?

Secondly, your CPU usage graph is odd. The usage is "square". That's likely to be some kind of thread balancing... to rule things out, make sure Windows is on maximum performance energy profile. I'm not convinced enough that it's normal behavior to have such "square" usage graphs.

so, things to do:

1) Set windows to maximum performance energy profile.

2) Open task manager under performance tab. Let MSI Afterburner in the background.

3) Download Cinebench R15 from their web page.

4) Do 3 cinebench CPU (all cores) run (When one finishes start the next one asap).

Take note of cpu clock, reported by windows task manager. When the 3rd run finished post screenshots of msi afterburner just like before.

All this should take 5-10 minutes at most.

12 minutes ago, faziten said:

Do you have any overclock in place or are you running in stock heatsink?

I am,sadly, running a stock heatsink at the moment, but i have actually been looking at replacements today actually to install on Friday. Either a higher end Air cooler or AIO, don't really know which one yet. But the weird part is that it isn't overclocked its @4.00 ghz. Yesterday i was playing Battlefield 1 and it hit 95c so i turned it off for a while, think thats to far over the limit.

But thanks for the things to fix it 

2 minutes ago, Jordan1 said:

I am,sadly, running a stock heatsink at the moment, but i have actually been looking at replacements today actually to install on Friday. Either a higher end Air cooler or AIO, don't really know which one yet. But the weird part is that it isn't overclocked its @4.00 ghz. Yesterday i was playing Battlefield 1 and it hit 95c so i turned it off for a while, think thats to far over the limit.

But thanks for the things to fix it 

Nice, then we may have nailed it then, since the CPU is toasty VRMs may be toasty too, and causing thermal throttling.

Once you upgrade your heatsink, try again i bet your issues will solve themselves.

(As for the moment, you can limit your framerate to 60fps so your CPU doesnt go though the roof thermally, MSI has a framelimitter embeeded, 2 clicks and you are set up.)

good luck!

1 minute ago, faziten said:

Nice, then we may have nailed it then, since the CPU is toasty VRMs may be toasty too, and causing thermal throttling.

Once you upgrade your heatsink, try again i bet your issues will solve themselves.

(As for the moment, you can limit your framerate to 60fps so your CPU doesnt go though the roof thermally, MSI has a framelimitter embeeded, 2 clicks and you are set up.)

good luck!

Thanks for the help !

34 minutes ago, faziten said:

Do 3 cinebench CPU

Also with that Cinebench run i got a score of 779 with 100% usage but it hit 100c, sooo yeah im definitely going to invest in a new cooler

Hello again so ive installed a brand new cooler for my ccpu and actually went installed windows on a brand new out of the box ssd as well, and as my cpu temps are significantly lower than before, my gpu is constantly dropping in usage. As an example in games like battlefield 1 and fortnite, my frames will drop really low and i will see 50% usage. Is this my gpu or the game or my cpu im so lost!! @faziten