Is it worth getting an portableHDD/SSD when running a NAS?

For those that currently have NAS' and regularly use HDD/SSD, what is your use case?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

37 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

For those that currently have NAS' and regularly use HDD/SSD, what is your use case?

i have a small 1 tb hdd that i use to back up my computer in case my NAS fails

23 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you need the external hdd? They both have a different use case, and I use both.

99% of the time I don't. I usually VPN into my network and access the NAS. There are a few circumstances where I don't have internet or my network goes down however. 

The NAS is backed up to a couple of Ext HDD's.

What are your use cases for both? Do you carry the external with you regularly?

4 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

i have a small 1 tb hdd that i use to back up my computer in case my NAS fails

I have a few externals for backups. I unfortunately, have a lot of crap and some level of redundancy.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

i keep the external in my house, but i bought a UPS for my NAS and wifi so im fine.

1 hour ago, Scruffy90 said:

I like to have an external drive because I'm a bit paranoid about ransomware, even though I'm confident enough that I won't be opening random things on the internet to trigger such malware. I access my NAS over SMB so I can access it like a network drive in File Explorer and at the moment the account I use to access it has write privileges to the data. So if something where to infect my PC, it also has access to the NAS. Of course I should just be mucking around with permissions so that the account I use to access the NAS is read only, with another account used for updating it but I've been too lazy. :P

Otherwise, the other side of it is that my computer doesn't house all of my data that I want to keep. The external and NAS do. So in effect, I only have two copies of all of the data I want. And there's peace of mind knowing I have a copy of my data that's not accessible unless I actually say it is (i.e., throwing a power switch)

I have an old Toshiba 120GB HDD that I connect using a SATA to USB adapter and copy over any files that are important or are long term storage.]

hi.