Need some answers on refresh rate of TV

J.b091

I have this TV at home UE49MU6100UXRU & I noticed video seems a bit faster than when I was watching before in my PC. And when I clicked on info in TV, it seems that it sets videos automatically with 50p (or fps). And now when I looked on Samsung's website it says refresh rate: 50. So does this mean that videos played in this tv are being played on 50fps? or it's something different? And if it's same, then why some people are looking for 60 fps movies if your TV automatically converts any videos to 50fps?

And I have another question: I noticed when watching movies with more fps for example 50, either in tv or in my PC, it creates some artifact like thing sometimes, especially when there's a moving scene, something similar to screen tearing. Why it happens and also is there any way to set up tv back to normal 23/4 refresh rate? Or it's better how it is now with 50?

I know I asked a lot questions, but would appreciate detailed answers. Thank you in advance. 

1. People watchg 60 fps movies (if they can), because it's standard refresh rate of most monitors. TV screens using mostly 50 fps. Anyway - you should not see any movies duration difference, no matter if you're using monitor's 60 fps or tv 50 fps.

2. Yes, your TV can change framerate - by skipping frames or if framerate is lower - by calculating missing frames. Sometimes it works only for TV signal, sometimes for all inputs. And that is why you see sometimes that strange tearing-like effect. Alghoritms for calculating missing frames are very complex and not perfect, so that missing frames calculated by TV, based on objects movement, can create distortions. If you want to see how it works, use Splash player on PC with his smooth playing function or SVP (Smooth Video Project). Old CrystalPlayer has similar option, very poor, but can shows calculating vectors/lines in realtime for movement, so you can better understand how it works. Best test you can do for check how good alghoritm is made, is display video of horizontally moving big building with large number of windows. :)

Monitor or screen doesn't use FPS as the indicator, it's  Hertz (Hz), however in the end if your screen only maxed at 50Hz then you will only get 50 fps max no matter how high your input video is.

50/60Hz is quite common, usually it even has the menu to switch between the two.

As for screen tearing try to use different media player.

13 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

1. People watchg 60 fps movies (if they can), because it's standard refresh rate of most monitors. TV screens using mostly 50 fps. Anyway - you should not see any movies duration difference, no matter if you're using monitor's 60 fps or tv 50 fps.

2. Yes, your TV can change framerate - by skipping frames or if framerate is lower - by calculating missing frames. Sometimes it works only for TV signal, sometimes for all inputs. And that is why you see sometimes that strange tearing-like effect. Alghoritms for calculating missing frames are very complex and not perfect, so that missing frames calculated by TV, based on objects movement, can create distortions. If you want to see how it works, use Splash player on PC with his smooth playing function or SVP (Smooth Video Project). Old CrystalPlayer has similar option, very poor, but can shows calculating vectors/lines in realtime for movement, so you can better understand how it works. Best test you can do for check how good alghoritm is made, is display video of horizontally moving big building with large number of windows. :)

2nd answer was very informative. Thank you :)
Though I still don't understand first question about refresh rate and fps. My PC monitor has 60 refresh rate & my TV has 50. However when watching video in my PC it's usually 23 or 24 fps, unless I turn on "Motion Blur" effect in my Pot Player which converts movie into 50fps and I can see difference clearly, but when watching same videos in TV it's automatically converting in 50fps. 

I don't understand why it's so? Why TV converts automatically all videos in 50fps all content and why in PC it is shown naturally how it was shot originally unless you will tweak some settings in player manually and convert it to more fps?

5 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Monitor or screen doesn't use FPS as the indicator, it's  Hertz (Hz), however in the end if your screen only maxed at 50Hz then you will only get 50 fps max no matter how high your input video is.

50/60Hz is quite common, usually it even has the menu to switch between the two.

As for screen tearing try to use different media player.

I was talking about TV, where I use plex and watch channels live from antenna, there are no other players, but person above you explained very well why that artifact happens.

1 hour ago, J.b091 said:

2nd answer was very informative. Thank you :)
Though I still don't understand first question about refresh rate and fps. My PC monitor has 60 refresh rate & my TV has 50. However when watching video in my PC it's usually 23 or 24 fps, unless I turn on "Motion Blur" effect in my Pot Player which converts movie into 50fps and I can see difference clearly, but when watching same videos in TV it's automatically converting in 50fps. 

I don't understand why it's so? Why TV converts automatically all videos in 50fps all content and why in PC it is shown naturally how it was shot originally unless you will tweak some settings in player manually and convert it to more fps?

You can disable that calculating of intermediate frames in any TV. It's called different, depends on TV producer, but it's possible (and I always do that). Unlike in computers, TV market is quite different. You see all that TV screens on big shop and everything must be smooth, sharp, with high contrast, strong colors etc. It's not about how natural it looks like - it's about how nice it looks like so people want to buy that TV and be happy. While PC programs just play movies with they natural number of frames and all rest is just something extra (like extra options in players).

16 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

You can disable that calculating of intermediate frames in any TV. It's called different, depends on TV producer, but it's possible (and I always do that). Unlike in computers, TV market is quite different. You see all that TV screens on big shop and everything must be smooth, sharp, with high contrast, strong colors etc. It's not about how natural it looks like - it's about how nice it looks like so people want to buy that TV and be happy. While PC programs just play movies with they natural number of frames and all rest is just something extra (like extra options in players).

Thank you very much.

Thought maybe you could help me how to find out where is that option and disable it, but this is my TV's exact model: https://www.samsung.com/ru/tvs/uhdtv-mu6100/UE49MU6100UXRU/ & I think Samsung produces different models for different countries, because Google gives me only Samsung's Russian website  (and other websites) of this model & couldn't find manual in English. When I will go home today, gonna check my TV's settings (fortunately menu is in English) & try to find that option. Hope it exists. Watching content in 50fps is nice, but I would prefer original fps without tearing distortion or whatever is it :)

1 hour ago, J.b091 said:

Thank you very much.

Thought maybe you could help me how to find out where is that option and disable it, but this is my TV's exact model: https://www.samsung.com/ru/tvs/uhdtv-mu6100/UE49MU6100UXRU/ & I think Samsung produces different models for different countries, because Google gives me only Samsung's Russian website  (and other websites) of this model & couldn't find manual in English. When I will go home today, gonna check my TV's settings (fortunately it's in English) & try to find that option. Hope it exists.

It is Auto Motion Plus.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu6100/settings

You can disable it (if you want to watch movies with their framerate) or adjust.

Quote: "In the 'Auto Motion Plus Settings' tab, you can control the motion interpolation and the black frame insertion feature. When 'Auto Motion Plus' is set to 'Custom', You can adjust the slider of 'Judder Reduction' to add the amount of soap opera effect you want. The 'LED Clear Motion' controls the black frame insertion and can help to reduce the motion blur, but it will dim the TV image considerably and will introduce some screen flicker."

(I made bold few words by myself in text above)

13 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

It is Auto Motion Plus.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu6100/settings

You can disable it (if you want to watch movies with their framerate) or adjust.

Quote: "In the 'Auto Motion Plus Settings' tab, you can control the motion interpolation and the black frame insertion feature. When 'Auto Motion Plus' is set to 'Custom', You can adjust the slider of 'Judder Reduction' to add the amount of soap opera effect you want. The 'LED Clear Motion' controls the black frame insertion and can help to reduce the motion blur, but it will dim the TV image considerably and will introduce some screen flicker."

(I made bold few words by myself in text above)

Thank you again and when I get back home, will check them :)