Phanteks Evolv X and Revolt X release dates

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know, I just got the info from Phanteks that the release of the Evolv X is due end of August and the Revolt X dual setup PSU is due later in September.

And apparently it will be possible to use Phanteks' power Splitter if you wish, making the whole dual setup a lot cheaper given the expected price of the Revolt X.

Perhaps this was already known by some of you but I thought it would be a good thing to post it somewhere :)

I can't wait to transfer my dual setup from my Enthoo Mini XL DS to the Evolv X!

This was helpful, thanks! I was trying to figure out how I was going to power 2 systems inside the new case without wasting money on the revolt x ( Or should I say the thought of buying it was... revolting ;) )

On 28/07/2018 at 11:42 PM, SRK said:

This was helpful, thanks! I was trying to figure out how I was going to power 2 systems inside the new case without wasting money on the revolt x ( Or should I say the thought of buying it was... revolting ;) )

The only potential issue being the maximum power that the Phanteks' Power Splitter is designed to deliver to each system. You can't really go full-bore IMO, which is sad. And, as you said, the Revolt X's price makes little to no sense...

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's not super related, but what makes you want to switch from the mini XL DS to the evolv x? I'm planning a dual system build and can't decide which to use.
one reason I'm leaning toward the mini XL DS is because I want an internal optical drive for old xp games on a vm and for console emulators. Is there anything about the evolv X that would make me be willing to settle for a usb connected blu-ray drive?

can't wait for the gamers nexus review that was promised.

The designs are a lot different,The mini xl has a acrylic window while the evolv x has tempered glass and rgb.

I'm not super concerned with acrylic vs tempered glass or rgb. Right now the swaying decision seems to be whether I want threa hidripper. If I want threadripper it'll need to be the exolv x because that needs an atx or eatx board. However I have some good daily use cases that warrant having an internal ODD (emulators for gaming, passing old game disks to VM, and archiving data for storage in firesafe.) Which would justify the mini xl ds as I can fit one ODD per system.

Swaying factors will be whether threadrippers's extra cores and memory support could outweigh my need for ODD.  I'm also really interested in cooling performance and how the two cases handle airflow as it will be on my desk and I don't really want to park a space heater next to my chair. Can someone speak regarding the mini xl ds on this?

Do y'all think an r5 2600x or r8 2700x could handle hosting up to 10-15 vm's? Primarily linux systems (currently  2win svr, 4linux, and 2freebsd machines) if not I'll need to consider TR....

On 18/08/2018 at 8:14 PM, deadlykitt3n said:

I know it's not super related, but what makes you want to switch from the mini XL DS to the evolv x? I'm planning a dual system build and can't decide which to use.
one reason I'm leaning toward the mini XL DS is because I want an internal optical drive for old xp games on a vm and for console emulators. Is there anything about the evolv X that would make me be willing to settle for a usb connected blu-ray drive?

can't wait for the gamers nexus review that was promised.

Well I own a Mini XL and airflow is a concern when you pack it up with stuff.

I've got 1x360mm + 1x240mm + 2x120mm radiators inside mine with Arctic F12 rev2 PWM Fans and my OCed 3930K runs warmer than inside my previous In Win 707.

Also, you can't fit as much storage inside the Mini XL, especially if, like me, you've taken off the bottom 3.5" rack so as to fit a pump.

Also, I think the design is a bit poor because the SFX PSU should have been fitted behind the 5.25" bays. I've done it with a bracket I have 3D-printed and it's way better than the position Phanteks meant it to be placed into.

If you're looking at watercooling, you'll have to drill a fill port yourself inside the Mini XL, like I've done. The Evolv X has both a fill and a drain port.

Not that important to me but I think the hinged doors of the Evolv X are better.

Support for vertical GPU inside the Evolv X helps with airflow beyond looks. Indeed, inside my Mini XL, the GPU on the Mini ITX build blocks the airflow partly (in the bottom --> top direction).

Dust filters on the Mini XL are quite efficient but not perfect. But the way you can take them off to clean them is well thought-out.

The paint job on the Mini XL is not on par with the quality level Phanteks aims at.

The Mini XL is an incredible case and you can do many many things inside it, don't get me wrong. But these are a few things I reproach it.

WOW that's a lot of radiators! I don't know if I'll be able to fit that many radiators as I would plan to utilize all 6 HDD bays and all three 5.25" bays (1ODD for each system), But I would also probably only use AIO's for water cooling as I don't have the patience or experience for a custom loop. I plan to have a mATX TR2 VM host (likely the 2920x) and an mITX ryzen 2 (r5 2600x) gaming/home rig. The gaming rig is self explanatory. For the server I was thinking of a centOS install with KVM for hosting VM's and the file server on the host OS with a pair of 3x4TB raidz1 arrays (buy one array and then buy the other after first is filled and possibly stripe them together). 280mm aio mounted on TR and bottom of case for intake and 240 aio for gaming rig mounted on the front of the case for more intake (plus airflow over HDD's), exhaust will be 120mm in rear and 3x140mm in top....with such a detailed plan I guess this means I've decided on the mini XL.......ther big perk of choosing evolv x would be full ATX board for TR system and room for more that 64GB of RAM, and space for more HDD's, but I'm not sure if I need that....also, to ecc RAM or not....not sure...

list for server: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/deadkat42/saved/fX6YrH

the annoying part will be worrying whether or not I get a board that already has a bios that supports threaripper2 or if i'll have to beg and borrow one from somebody just to update my bios

Would buy server first and then save for and buy gaming rig second: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/deadkat42/saved/grzbjX

3 hours ago, deadlykitt3n said:

WOW that's a lot of radiators! I don't know if I'll be able to fit that many radiators as I would plan to utilize all 6 HDD bays and all three 5.25" bays (1ODD for each system), But I would also probably only use AIO's for water cooling as I don't have the patience or experience for a custom loop. I plan to have a mATX TR2 VM host (likely the 2920x) and an mITX ryzen 2 (r5 2600x) gaming/home rig. The gaming rig is self explanatory. For the server I was thinking of a centOS install with KVM for hosting VM's and the file server on the host OS with a pair of 3x4TB raidz1 arrays (buy one array and then buy the other after first is filled and possibly stripe them together). 280mm aio mounted on TR and bottom of case for intake and 240 aio for gaming rig mounted on the front of the case for more intake (plus airflow over HDD's), exhaust will be 120mm in rear and 3x140mm in top....with such a detailed plan I guess this means I've decided on the mini XL.......ther big perk of choosing evolv x would be full ATX board for TR system and room for more that 64GB of RAM, and space for more HDD's, but I'm not sure if I need that....also, to ecc RAM or not....not sure...

list for server: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/deadkat42/saved/fX6YrH

the annoying part will be worrying whether or not I get a board that already has a bios that supports threaripper2 or if i'll have to beg and borrow one from somebody just to update my bios

Would buy server first and then save for and buy gaming rig second: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/deadkat42/saved/grzbjX

Nice project you have there! :) 

I only have one thing to say : I highly doubt you'll be able to fit an AIO at the front if you are keeping both HDD racks :/ The space is cramped in that area, plus it really is quite far from the mITX setup CPU. However, you'll still be able to fit the AIO at the top (even a 360mm will fit easily in a pull configuration, ie radiator below the fans).

My setup is nowhere near as extreme as yours, but it's mainly for the fun. FYI if you want to check it out : 

please keep in mind that this is gonna take a couple of years saving before I can afford, I refuse to use credit or go into debt for this, and as such I might actuallly do this with ryzen 3 or 4 and TR 3 or 4, depending on what's in at the time. Currently I am hosting a couple of minecraft servers, an ark server, a freenet node, a tor relay, an i2p router, a virtual office (virtual pfsnese and virtual workstations that connect exclusively through the pf sense vm), and a kali vm for practicing all the sys admin and networking things. That's just what I have on my current server, I would add the file server/nas, a torrent/download server, and either an emby or plex server, and possibly an Active directory controller once this is done. All while expecting lower power draw and less noise than my old dell poweredge 2900 that's currently in use. currently at 50Db from 4ish feet away as measured on the free app i just downloaded.

If I can't fit an AIO in the front then I might have it in a pull config like you mentioned up top, or maybe a push and force all my exhaust through the rear? maybe I can get away with only one exhaust fan...I just know rads perform better if they get fresh intake vs the pre-heated exhaust and the only air cooled component I'd be worried about is the one GPU on the gaming rig. I'll have an old HD 5450 512MB on the server, but I don't think I'll ever use it, most likely I'll access my server on the desktop through teamviewer or something similar.. but wouldn't it be better to somehow get the 360mm rad hooked to the threadripper and the smaller 240/280 rad on the ryzen? I can't find anything conclusive about the necessity of ecc RAM in a vm host.

edit: a friend just replied and said "ECC registered ram is used to insure accuracy in mission critical calculations, or in heavy virtualization environments" and that I should count it as a necessity if planning to host more than 3 VM's.

Thanks for all the advice. I and definitely set on the mini XL instead of the evolv x now....despite how very nice and arrrrgeeebeeee it looks. the mini XL meets my needs better. just need to update build lists and save all the money...

From the looks of things, they opened pre-orders around midnight last night and have already sold out in the US.

I'm still waiting on a thermals test before I'm comfortable recommending it. 

Quality seems exceptional as ever with some minor quirks. There's no rubber grommets so the sliding panels is your only form of hiding cables from the front. 

DONT USE THE VERTICAL GPU BRACKET UNLESS YOU PLAN ON WATERCOOLING. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it seems everyone is having a hard time getting their hands on an Evolv X in Silver...

The black one is in stock here in France but it doesn't look as good as the silver one IMHO...