Singapore Health Database hit by a massive cyber attack, 1.5m clients affected

ItsMitch

S: Reuters | Singapore Health

Singapore PM has confirmed to the press it's health service has suffered a massive cyber attack, the likes it has never seen before affecting over 1.5 million users including the PM himself. The government have strong suspicions that this was a state sponsored attack due to the way it was administered and the way the attack was planned and executed. 

The attack, which the government called “the most serious breach of personal data” that the country has experienced, comes as the highly wired and digitized state has made cyber security a top priority for the ASEAN bloc and for itself.

Singapore is this year’s chair of the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) group.

“Investigations by the Cyber Security Agency of Singapore (CSA) and the Integrated Health Information System (IHiS)confirmed that this was a deliberate, targeted and well-planned cyberattack,” a government statement said.

“It was not the work of casual hackers or criminal gangs,” the joint statement by the Health Ministry and the Ministry of Communications and Information said.

Users that have visited clinics from the 1st of May 2015 to July the 4th have been affected. No record was changed nor destroyed, neither was diagnosis, test results or doctors notes. So what was stolen? Names, personal addresses, contact numbers and medicine dispenses in some rare cases. 

Singapore officials will be reaching out to each patient affected by the breach. Their statement can be found in the sources. 

I think their database needs a check up.. it's has a virus...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

4 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

.......... God damnit

8 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

It's okay, we'll just give it a few antibiotics and it should be up and running again.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

hahey why am I hearing of this first on LTTf ._.

LTT your first place for local news, didn't you know? 

1 hour ago, SC2Mitch said:

confirmed that this was a deliberate, targeted and well-planned cyberattack,” a government statement said.

basically an advanced persistent threat...too bad that Singapore's health database got breached considering they have one of the best healthcare systems in the world (combination of state funded single payer healthcare and private sector medicine).

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

.......... God damnit

Hahaha xD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Its not too much of a concern. Everything exposed is public info anyway. Im just glad medical info wasnt stolen 

7 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

my IC is not public info

my DoB is not public info (unless some IRL manual data hoarder goes against their word)

the relation of my personal details to an identity is not public info

._.

(poor Batman though.)

EDIT: you know, with that data you could actually commit automated identity impersonation (in terms of starting to do shady stuff with legit info)

I dont think you realize how much info is actually public.