ASUS GTX 960s SLI troubles...

vannac
Go to solution Solved by DildorTheDecent,
1 minute ago, vannac said:

Actually, I just looked up the manual and it looks like all 4 of them are x16. Not sure why I thought they were different colors, but maybe I just couldn't see in the dim light. In any case, I moved them to the two middle slots - 2 & 3, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Physically it's a x16 slot, but electrically it's x4.

image.png.50dd4047d01f8872d2fe1c07414ecaa8.png

See how PCI-E 2.0 x16_2 is always x4? That's because it's wired to only utilize 4 lanes. You can put a full size GPU in there, but it won't run like one.

Hey all,

Running out of steam trying to get these 2 960s to run in SLI for me...in before everyone tells me to upgrade to a 10 series card. So here's what I'm facing:

0.) The cards I have are ASUS GTX 960 4GB units. This: https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/TURBOGTX960OC2GD5/

1.) As soon as I turn on the PC the fans go full speed and stay there (seriously sounds like I have a leaf blower next to me)

2.) I know the first card works because it was working before I installed the second card. They are both connected with a fancy SLI (ROG Enthusiast SLI bridge) because I'm fancy with my old junk).

3.) I know the second card works (on a hardware level) because right now I am running the Displayport outputs from that card.

4.) I have an older board (Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0) which I successfully used to run SLI with some older GTX cards on here with no issues in the past.

5.) I am running out of space on the board. As a result, I had to put the second card in a PCI slot that was a different color than the first cards slot. I'm guessing this is not great because I know the color difference probably means 8x vs 4x and the cards will throttle down to the slowest speed.

6.) I'm only seeing 1 card listed in Device manager.

7.) I downloaded the latest 960 drivers from nvidia, but still can't see the cards in device manager or enable sli options in Nvidia control panel > 3D settings

I'm sure there's a billion other details I should share but my brain is wiped. Please have good answers for me in the morning that aren't "sorry bruh, your card's dead"!

THANKS

Thanks, I'll check that but I believe I had a wifi card in that slot previously, so it should be enabled.

11 hours ago, vannac said:

5.) I am running out of space on the board. As a result, I had to put the second card in a PCI slot that was a different color than the first cards slot. I'm guessing this is not great because I know the color difference probably means 8x vs 4x and the cards will throttle down to the slowest speed.

This shouldn't be an issue as it won't really need the 4x bandwidth.

As to why they aren't recognised, try running them in a single card setup.

Unplug one, move it to the top slot & see if it works.

Same with the other.

If it does on both cards, do the same thing with the bottom slot and see if they get detected.

If its all hunkey dorey, try switching up the 8PIN/6PIN power cables. one of those could be malfunctioning.

Quite a lot of things you can try, I'm not out of steam yet ;)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

Are you still running the sabertooth board ? or did you get another one ? sorry , couldn't quite tell from the text

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 hours ago, Sfekke said:

This shouldn't be an issue as it won't really need the 4x bandwidth.

As to why they aren't recognised, try running them in a single card setup.

Unplug one, move it to the top slot & see if it works.

Same with the other.

If it does on both cards, do the same thing with the bottom slot and see if they get detected.

If its all hunkey dorey, try switching up the 8PIN/6PIN power cables. one of those could be malfunctioning.

Quite a lot of things you can try, I'm not out of steam yet ;)

Thanks! Will give this a go...

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Are you still running the sabertooth board ? or did you get another one ? sorry , couldn't quite tell from the text

Still on the Sabertooth 990fx

13 hours ago, vannac said:

probably means 8x vs 4x and the cards will throttle down to the slowest speed.

SLi needs both slots to be at least 8x/8x. You cannot enable SLi if either slot is running at 4x.

Looking at your motherboard spec, only the black slot is 4x electrically. All other slots are 16x or 8x - use those.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

7 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

SLi needs both slots to be at least 8x/8x. You cannot enable SLi if either slot is running at 4x.

Looking at your motherboard spec, only the black slot is 4x electrically. All other slots are 16x or 8x - use those.

Actually, I just looked up the manual and it looks like all 4 of them are x16. Not sure why I thought they were different colors, but maybe I just couldn't see in the dim light. In any case, I moved them to the two middle slots - 2 & 3, so that shouldn't be an issue. 

x16.PNG

1 minute ago, vannac said:

Physically it's a x16 slot, but electrically it's x4.

image.png.50dd4047d01f8872d2fe1c07414ecaa8.png

See how PCI-E 2.0 x16_2 is always x4? That's because it's wired to only utilize 4 lanes. You can put a full size GPU in there, but it won't run like one.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Thanks to you both for clarifying! Learned something new today! It's interesting that I hadn't run into this issue before when I was running some older GTX cards in slots 3 and 4 (it might have be 2 and 3, but I definitely never had them in 1 and 3 before).

So it looks like if I want these cards detected for SLI I have to use slots #1 and #3. I'll have to give this a try a little later to confirm. Thanks for all your due diligence!

Well, got the cards installed in slots 1 and 3, but now the driver is somehow corrupted! I can only see 1 card in Device manager and it's got the little yellow warning symbol on it. The error given said windows could not load the driver. Go figure...I'm guessing it's a good sign though, as this is a software issue and not hardware related. I tried doing a system restore, but it didn't help. Really hoping I don't have to re-install windows, but I will there's no other option. Any suggestions on corrupt Nvidia drivers are appreciated!

8 hours ago, vannac said:

Well, got the cards installed in slots 1 and 3, but now the driver is somehow corrupted! I can only see 1 card in Device manager and it's got the little yellow warning symbol on it. The error given said windows could not load the driver. Go figure...I'm guessing it's a good sign though, as this is a software issue and not hardware related. I tried doing a system restore, but it didn't help. Really hoping I don't have to re-install windows, but I will there's no other option. Any suggestions on corrupt Nvidia drivers are appreciated!

That can happen sometimes.

If the currently installed drivers are corrupted, then just uninstall / delete it, and install the same ones...or the latest stable version off the nVidia website.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Thanks everyone for the help so far! After much frustration last week, I finally got both cards working on the hardware level, but the drivers are still all jacked up. If I should start a new thread for this, let me know.

I did swap the 1st card with the 2nd card in the first slot to make extra sure there's no issues with the card. I even swapped out the SLI bridge/cable for good measure. Sure enough, PC booted up and the card was recognized normally as a single card. However, when I install the second card in the 3rd slot on the mobo, I get a "could not install driver" message shortly after windows boots. Sure enough, I can only see 1 card recognized in Device Manager. I updated to the latest Nvidia drivers for this card (as of Jun 2018 from geforce.com), but still seeing the issue.

So any idea what's going on here? It seems odd to me that Windows would recognize the drivers of the first card, but not the second card of the exact same model. I am really hoping this doesn't mean the slot on my motherboard is bad (though if it were, I'd expect that the card wouldn't be detected at all at the OS level). Screenshot below...

2018-07-23.png

Based on previous experience, I never had to enable any BIOS settings for SLI to work. I also checked my motherboard documentation and there's no instructions in there for BIOS settings changes related to SLI.

On 7/20/2018 at 2:48 PM, pas008 said:

did you try using ddu?

Tried this, ran it in safe mode to remove the drivers. When I booted back into Windows I got the same result, except this time the 1st card loaded up with the standard VGA driver, but the second card still shows up in Device Manager as an Unknown Device. I re-installed the latest Nvidia drivers, but still having the same issue.

Something is up with that second card/slot...never had this much trouble with an SLI setup before! Going to google around and see if there's similar known issues.

I tend to just go a clean install of the drivers and it works. Even when I have issues with the cards popping up. 

Never really use ddu. Maybe twice since it was made. If the problem continues for me, I just take them out and put them back in again. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with Windows installing drivers on my system. I just plugged in a Bluetooth adapter that should have installed drivers automatically, but it seems to be throwing the same error as I got with the GPU. Feeling like it might be time to upgrade to Win 10...

4 hours ago, vannac said:

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with Windows installing drivers on my system. I just plugged in a Bluetooth adapter that should have installed drivers automatically, but it seems to be throwing the same error as I got with the GPU. Feeling like it might be time to upgrade to Win 10...

Its likely just that something has been screwing with the registry.  Clean install should fix things.