Entire computer becomes unusable when using lots of bandwidth

STRMfrmXMN

So I've been having this weird problem as I've recently had to start using wireless internet while staying at my dad's house. This problem has occurred with two different wireless cards (one is a TP-LINK WDN4800 and the other some old USB Cisco device).

Whenever I'm doing something bandwidth intensive, I'll find that my whole PC will basically lock up and become unusable for 10-15 seconds, say while playing a video game and also watching a Twitch stream. Specs are on my profile. If you're thinking I might be experiencing lag because of that, I'd think not with a 1700X and 16GB of RAM, but who knows.

The strange this is, this ONLY happens under the circumstance that I'm both playing a game and watching a Youtube video or Twitch stream. If I'm just doing one or the other, then the PC is fine. But if both are running at the same time, then key inputs take an age, alt-tabbing utterly breaks the PC, the game might crash but typically recovers. I'm completely unsure as to why this would happen.

I'm unable to use ethernet for the time being. It's completely out of the question. When I was on Ethernet then this problem would not occur. My PC is the only device in the house with any issues connecting to the internet.

If internet speed is of concern to you, I'm getting about 200 Mbps down, 12 up, with 11 ms ping. My dad, for whatever reason, is using the Comcast modem/router combo. That said, my PC is literally the only device in the house with WiFi issues. Everything else works fine.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I wonder if it's a bad driver for your wifi card?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I wonder if it's a bad driver for your wifi card?

I've tried like four different drivers for the TP-LINK and am using the driver Windows gives for the USB one. Both cards have the same issues.

8 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Wonder if its the card using up PCIE resources... My desktop does the same thing when the PCIE SSD is getting heavy usage...

The only devices I have on PCIe on my X370 Prime are my GTX 970 and the single wireless card. Would that really be it?

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Wonder if its the card using up PCIE resources

I doubt it, he also tried a USB dongle and had the same problem.

I'd go with @Ryan_Vickers on this one, bad drivers.

Once I installed the wrong driver for a WiFi card and it made my computer freeze and sometimes even blue screen.

Cheers.

2 minutes ago, Netivity said:

I doubt it, he also tried a USB dongle and had the same problem.

I'd go with @Ryan_Vickers on this one, bad drivers.

Once I installed the wrong driver for a WiFi card and it made my computer freeze and sometimes even blue screen.

Cheers.

See what I commented above.

Would like to note that it happens when I disable the PCIe card entirely and just use the USB one. Had the problems before I even introduced the USB card for testing purposes.

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

See what I commented above.

Thanks for the heads up, we posted at the same time so I didn't get a notification.

TP-LINK usually gives you a CD with the card.

You could use this to ensure that you are getting the driver. 

If that works, great. If not, we know it's not the drivers.

Cheers.

2 minutes ago, Netivity said:

Thanks for the heads up, we posted at the same time so I didn't get a notification.

TP-LINK usually gives you a CD with the card.

You could use this to ensure that you are getting the driver. 

If that works, great. If not, we know it's not the drivers.

Cheers.

A. I don't have a disc drive period. B. That driver came out in the Windows 8 days, so that driver is way out of date. I've had this issue with the drivers provided by Windows 10, by Qualcomm, by TP-LINK, and some other, older drivers from both companies. None solve the problem. I would say I had more problems when using the TP-LINK, which runs on PCIe, but that card also seems to have issues with Windows 10 that are well-documented online, with random disconnects and such.

29 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

snip

Yea.... this is a strange case of PC doesn't work because magical non-sense. Trust me I know what you mean apparently its like a driver issue but at the same time not a driver issue? Hardwire works but wireless completely tanks the PC. Honestly I found that updating windows 10 fixes the issue but sometimes casues the issue which is why I prevented windows 10 from ever updating ever again.

Use a program called LatencyMon it will tell you what program or driver is causing the issue you literally just press start and it will show you what is eating your PC resources or cause lag, test it when having a game up or watching a youtube video.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I have always had bad experiences with TP-LINK and it actually made me ring them once. They were not helpful whatsoever - Very disappointing hence why I have stopped purchasing their products all together.

Have you tried switching it to a different PCI port by any chance?

Cheers.

9 minutes ago, Netivity said:

I have always had bad experiences with TP-LINK and it actually made me ring them once. They were not helpful whatsoever - Very disappointing hence why I have stopped purchasing their products all together.

Cheers.

As I've said, I've tried another wireless card that works over USB and the problem still occurs. 

12 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

Yea.... this is a strange case of PC doesn't work because magical non-sense. Trust me I know what you mean apparently its like a driver issue but at the same time not a driver issue? Hardwire works but wireless completely tanks the PC. Honestly I found that updating windows 10 fixes the issue but sometimes casues the issue which is why I prevented windows 10 from ever updating ever again.

Use a program called LatencyMon it will tell you what program or driver is causing the issue you literally just press start and it will show you what is eating your PC resources or cause lag, test it when having a game up or watching a youtube video.

Yeah, I've never had an issue like this before. The last time I used wireless with Windows 10 I had this WiFi card installed in an entirely different PC. I've been using Ethernet for over a year now, bar the last few weeks that I've been staying with my dad, so I have no idea when this problem actually would have started to occur. According to some Google-Fu, someone started to have identical problems to me around March of this year with my TP-Link card. Doesn't explain why the problem occurs with the USB adapter though. I'll take a look at Latencymon, thanks.

Well all, I can't figure it out. I'm gonna reinstall Windows (this will be the fourth time in about two weeks. Lovely) and see if the problem solves itself.

On 7/16/2018 at 10:23 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

Well all, I can't figure it out. I'm gonna reinstall Windows (this will be the fourth time in about two weeks. Lovely) and see if the problem solves itself.

Did reinstall fix the problem my broham?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

8 hours ago, Ramamataz said:

Did reinstall fix the problem my broham?

Nope, but I've been so busy that I haven't had time to point it out on this thread xD

The PC is currently running the default driver for my WDN4800 that Windows 10 automagically installs. When the bandwidth gets sucked up, the PC still locks up, taskbar remaining unresponsive, etc.

I've barely used my PC since creating that thread since I work 9 hour days now.

I guess you're using two screens?

I would disconnect one screen and then play a youtube video on screen 1, and also load a game on screen one.
See if it's a GPU driver issue or really a network problem.

If it's not the drivers (as you've used many) , not the wireless as you've used two then it leaves;

the GPU is actually stuttering,
GPU drivers,
The CPU as all networking is processed by the CPU
And of course Windows, because of above.

It's not a race to the bottom.

7 hours ago, 0x1e said:

Yes.

7 hours ago, 0x1e said:

I would disconnect one screen and then play a youtube video on screen 1, and also load a game on screen one.
See if it's a GPU driver issue or really a network problem.

Well I turned off hardware acceleration in Chrome and the issue persists. I did just try a new driver I haven't tried before for my PCIe card, so we'll see if that solves it. If not, I'll see what's up with the GPU.

As I've said, I've tried another wireless card that works over USB and the problem still occurs. 

I should probably clarify. Just because you have inserted a USB Wifi dongle, does not mean that it overrides and disables the one that is in the PCI slot.

There were many times before where I have seen a mobo with a faulty PCI port and that caused problems with the entire system as it drew more voltage than it was supposed to.

Cheers.

7 hours ago, Netivity said:

I should probably clarify. Just because you have inserted a USB Wifi dongle, does not mean that it overrides and disables the one that is in the PCI slot.

There were many times before where I have seen a mobo with a faulty PCI port and that caused problems with the entire system as it drew more voltage than it was supposed to.

Cheers.

I'm aware, but I've disabled the thing in device manager. I would think that basically shuts the PCIe card off, right?

Hmm, OK, well I don't think I've tried another PCIe slot, so I'll try that in a bit.