Intel launches Coffee Lake Xeon E (Entry) as replacement for Xeon E3

AlTech

Intel has launched their Coffee Lake Xeon E Entry level.  This E-2100 lineup replaces the Entry Level Xeon E3 v6 lineup.

The new Intel entry-level consists of quad core and six core CPUs, some of which have Hyper-Threading.

Intel%20Xeon%20E-2100%20Processor%20-%20

XeonECPUs_575px.png

Intel%20Xeon%20E-2100%20Processor%20-%20

Today Intel is announcing the Xeon E family of processors. The Xeon E-2100 stack of CPUs will replace the previous generation E3 v6 processors, following Intel's renaming of their whole Xeon stack, and in line with the workstation-focused Xeon W-2100 family, and the Xeon D-2100 family. The new processors mirror the current Coffee Lake Core processors on the market and will support up to 64GB of ECC memory, but require motherboards with a specalized workstation C246 chipset.  The E in this case stands for 'Entry', and these processors aim to be the cornerstone of Intel's portfolio of entry-level workstation parts.

The new family of processors will have four core and six core parts, mostly with hyperthreading, and mostly with integrated graphics, much like the Coffee Lake Core 8000-series CPUs. In order to differentiate the models with integrated graphics, these parts will have a 'G' after the name. All the processors are built on Intel's 14++ process technology, offering base clocks up to 3.8 GHz and single core turbo up to 4.7 GHz. At this time Intel is not disclosing all-core turbo frequencies or AVX2 frequencies. TDP will mostly be 71-80W, except for the high-end six-core processor which will be at 95W. All processors will support up to dual channel DDR4-2666 Non-ECC and ECC UDIMM modules. Intel also confirmed that the interface between the CPU and heatspreader is a polymer-based thermal interface material (TIM), not soldered.

Honestly, I was hoping that the quad-core non-Hyper-Threaded CPUs would not be part of their lineup.

The $284 6 core 12 thread E-2136 seems pretty appealing.

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12199/intel-launches-coffee-lake-xeon-e-entry

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Can't wait to see how much they cost over here with a suitable board.  One of the things the older v6's did was give equivalent performance to the 7700 but cheaper making it very appealing to those who don't overclock.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Isn't this repost? I do believe I saw similar thread about this a few days ago.

5 minutes ago, Funtoink63 said:

Isn't this repost? I do believe I saw similar thread about this a few days ago.

I checked and it wasn't posted on the forum.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I checked and it wasn't posted on the forum.

Then I must have seen it from other site and mistaken it with this forum.

53 minutes ago, Funtoink63 said:

Then I must have seen it from other site and mistaken it with this forum.

I recommended that a guy wait for them to come out. Maybe you saw that?

crazy that almost everything is close to 5 GHz now out of the box. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Quick comparison with the previous generation (or the "Ryzen effect"): the top SKU has 50% more cores, almost 20% higher turbo clock, includes a iGPU and costs 26% less than the Xeon E3 v5 top SKU.

Thanks AMD!

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

crazy that almost everything is close to 5 GHz now out of the box. 

Remember 2004 when Netburst was gonna be 10GHz in a couple years? :P

5 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

Remember 2004 when Netburst was gonna be 10GHz in a couple years? :P

Or the 100Ghz IBM Graphene CPU

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Or the 100Ghz IBM Graphene CPU

Well IBM does hold the record for a production chip clock speed at 5.5GHz.

http://www.cpushack.com/2012/08/30/we-are-hitting-the-limits-of-physics-in-many-cases-ibm-zec12-5-5ghz/

Their current z14 mainframe is 5.2GHz and much more powerful than the formidable zEC12 was.

https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/941/isscc-2018-the-ibm-z14-microprocessor-and-system-control-design/

The C3 program is supposedly going to use 770GHz(not a typo) RSFQ chips to make a superconducting logic exascale computer relatively soon.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/design/superconductor-logic-goes-lowpower

On 7/15/2018 at 6:07 PM, mr moose said:

Can't wait to see how much they cost over here with a suitable board.  One of the things the older v6's did was give equivalent performance to the 7700 but cheaper making it very appealing to those who don't overclock.

I had one with asrock's e3v5 overclockable board. My xeon was OCed to 4.2 ghz.