Flicker, very rare, very brief

This issue has come back to cause me quite a bit of anxiety, just because I have no idea what could be causing it.

On a very rare occasion, my whole screen will flicker for under a second what seems like horizontal white lines. I saw it happen for the first time in months a few moments ago. I've seen it happen maybe 4-6 times since I built this pc last December. I first saw it happen around February, and I thought it was my graphics drivers (gtx 1070 ti) so I rolled them back to the older drivers that seemed stable. It's been a good 3-4 months since it happened last.

Have any of you experienced this before or do you know for certain what causes it? I don't know if it's a sign of a slightly faulty gpu right out of the box, issues with this monitor, or with the dvi cable, or something else entirely.

5 minutes ago, hoobadooba said:

Probably blame windows updates and some strange conflict with your drivers.

Happens sometimes for me on my RX 580, though it seems to be gone with a fresh install and latest drivers.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Probably blame windows updates and some strange conflict with your drivers.

Happens sometimes for me on my RX 580, though it seems to be gone with a fresh install and latest drivers.

Yeah I wondered about it being Windows 10... I've noticed so many strange issues with Win10 that are rare, but noticeable if you're on a computer a lot. Some are a real pain. Drivers from a few months ago didn't fix it at least, but maybe future ones will. The GPU had just come out when I got it after all. Dunno. Just hate the uncertainty and waiting for something to completely die to really find out. :ph34r:

Edit: Not sure if this happened the other times or a coincidence... But I did notice Windows explorer being a little buggy 5-10 minutes before it happened this time. There's an issue in Win10, also rare, where sometimes multiple icons on the task bar show highlighted or semi-highlighted, when the normal behavior is for only the currently selected application to show highlighted. Refreshing explorer or reopening programs seems to make it correct itself and it happened just before the flicker this time. Hm... Still not sure if that's related though.

4 hours ago, hoobadooba said:

eah I wondered about it being Windows 10... I've noticed so many strange issues with Win10 that are rare, but noticeable if you're on a computer a lot.

This is why Windows 10 has a generally negative perception from those in PC space. It's generally very buggy and bloated with inbuilt monitoring functions. The installation and update functionality leaves a lot to be desired as well, many complain about installs and updates failing.

3 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

This is why Windows 10 has a generally negative perception from those in PC space. It's generally very buggy and bloated with inbuilt monitoring functions. The installation and update functionality leaves a lot to be desired as well, many complain about installs and updates failing.

Yeah... A couple of the issues are inexcusable like icons/thumbnails disappearing or thumbnails even failing to load so hard that windows explorer becomes unusable and you have to reboot. I've left so many reports on the feedback hub. Even a couple months ago an updat made desktop peek previews bug out and shift all windows in a jarring way, in all sorts of directions depending on the conditions.