Looking for an MX Brown Keyboard [UK]

Pyrii

So since my G105 is pretty old and crusty and I've been thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard, I've started looking in earnest into keyboards.

The keyboard I seem to like most is the K70 LUX and K95 Platinum from corsair, I like the lack of indentation (I have eczma so it would be easier to blow out/clean, and it means more light come out of the RGB LEDs), clean keyboard look, and uses CHerry MX RGB Browns.

I did order a Cherry MX key tester from Amazon and of all the keys I'm kinda torn between red and browns, but since browns have some feedback of when they're registering a keypress, I think that would be better since the test doesn't have an LED to tell you such. The tester also acts as a nice fidget device.

I nearly pulled the trigger on an K70 LUX for £115, but that wasn't the Mk.2. And it seems the Mk.2 K70 LUXs will be £150-£170 which is the realm of the k95 Plat. Pricing is just insane here in the UK (The K70 LUX is $150 in the US). So I had another look today and was drawn to the "Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750". Same idea with more readable keys, comfier wrist-rest, and smaller footprint (My desk is a mess so more room is a plus). But I dunno anything about Cooler master build quality etc and there's only 2 reviews on Amazon.

So Must: Cherry MX RGB Browns, readable key font, full 105 UK keyboard, wired

Good examples: K70 LUX/K95 plat, CM Masterkeys MK750.

Bad examples: Asus RoG keyboards (Gaudy design and unreadable key font), Logitech G910 Orion (Awfully gaudy keyboard, horrible keys, haven't tested RomerG keys).

Budget: £100-£150 preferred. Willing to hear options outside of these for something special. Cheaper the better though since I feel the corsair boards are kind overpriced. Money isn't an issue, I just don't want to reward awful pricing.

I have looked at DIY options, since I'm not one to shy away from a project, but finding a full 105 keyboard, with RGB keys, double shot caps (translucence needed for RGB), etc seems to be impossible. Plus the price seems a bit much, if I can get a ready-to-use keyboard for less, that is preferred due to a hectic RL situation atm). I am probably going to look at maybe getting a Japanese Kana/english keyboard cap set in the future, so while the cap problem isn't fatal, but important for now since importing takes forever.

I don't know if this is too little or too much information, I could really use some help and testimonials from other people who've used these or other keyboards. I've tried to give examples of keyboards I liked, ones I didn't and my needs.

EDIT: If someone knows a UK source for non-Cherry singles that I can try like RomerG etc, I would appreciate that.

EDIT2: Felt I needed to clarify, I game A LOT, and also stream so need a quiet but good keyboard for gaming/typing.

I've got two K75's (one RGB, one Red LED) - both brown switches.

Both excellent. Highly recommend.

One small note on the RGB version, if you plan to use Linux, avoid the RGB model as the keyboard has trouble working under linux because it's basically all software controlled (and that software isn't really there for linux).

But I have 0 issues with the red-only version on Linux. :)

-- I've had the keyboard for two and a half years now I think, still can't think of a keyboard I'd rather have.

2 minutes ago, OPSJono said:

I've got two K75's (one RGB, one Red LED) - both brown switches.

Both excellent. Highly recommend.

One small note on the RGB version, if you plan to use Linux, avoid the RGB model as the keyboard has trouble working under linux because it's basically all software controlled (and that software isn't really there for linux).

But I have 0 issues with the red-only version on Linux. :)

-- I've had the keyboard for two and a half years now I think, still can't think of a keyboard I'd rather have.

I don't know the K75, is that an old model? Because I can't find it.

BIOS support would be essential as I'm still rocking an old bios on my first gen i7. I plan to jump on the zen refresh when it comes out though. I do have USB3 tho.

I know you said the G910 is out of the question. I agree it looks awful...

I have a Logitech G610 brown and am pretty happy with it. It is a normal looking keyboard and has a few media buttons but off to the right side so they don't get in the way. I went to brown for the feedback as before I had cherry MX blacks which are kinda similar to red. I tend to be a loud typer and brown has really helped me not go hulk on every keypress. That little feedback feel is really nice.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

I know you said the G910 is out of the question. I agree it looks awful...

I have a Logitech G610 brown and am pretty happy with it. It is a normal looking keyboard and has a few media buttons but off to the right side so they don't get in the way. I went to brown for the feedback as before I had cherry MX blacks which are kinda similar to red. I tend to be a loud typer and brown has really helped me not go hulk on every keypress. That little feedback feel is really nice.

I can't find the G610 anywhere other than some german configs on amazon which are red LED only. The G810 looks the same, but uses RomerG and is £100. My general impression is a no for me, it looks like it has all the old pitfalls of my current keyboard, but with mechanical switches.

1 hour ago, Pyrii said:

I can't find the G610 anywhere other than some german configs on amazon which are red LED only. The G810 looks the same, but uses RomerG and is £100. My general impression is a no for me, it looks like it has all the old pitfalls of my current keyboard, but with mechanical switches.

Bummer... I guess maybe the G610 isn't as popular. What ultimately sold me on the G610 was the fact I did not have to install software in order to use it's functions. Hope you find a better option

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

22 hours ago, Pyrii said:

So since my G105 is pretty old and crusty and I've been thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard, I've started looking in earnest into keyboards.

The keyboard I seem to like most is the K70 LUX and K95 Platinum from corsair, I like the lack of indentation (I have eczma so it would be easier to blow out/clean, and it means more light come out of the RGB LEDs), clean keyboard look, and uses CHerry MX RGB Browns.

I did order a Cherry MX key tester from Amazon and of all the keys I'm kinda torn between red and browns, but since browns have some feedback of when they're registering a keypress, I think that would be better since the test doesn't have an LED to tell you such. The tester also acts as a nice fidget device.

I nearly pulled the trigger on an K70 LUX for £115, but that wasn't the Mk.2. And it seems the Mk.2 K70 LUXs will be £150-£170 which is the realm of the k95 Plat. Pricing is just insane here in the UK (The K70 LUX is $150 in the US). So I had another look today and was drawn to the "Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750". Same idea with more readable keys, comfier wrist-rest, and smaller footprint (My desk is a mess so more room is a plus). But I dunno anything about Cooler master build quality etc and there's only 2 reviews on Amazon.

So Must: Cherry MX RGB Browns, readable key font, full 105 UK keyboard, wired

Good examples: K70 LUX/K95 plat, CM Masterkeys MK750.

Bad examples: Asus RoG keyboards (Gaudy design and unreadable key font), Logitech G910 Orion (Awfully gaudy keyboard, horrible keys, haven't tested RomerG keys).

Budget: £100-£150 preferred. Willing to hear options outside of these for something special. Cheaper the better though since I feel the corsair boards are kind overpriced. Money isn't an issue, I just don't want to reward awful pricing.

I have looked at DIY options, since I'm not one to shy away from a project, but finding a full 105 keyboard, with RGB keys, double shot caps (translucence needed for RGB), etc seems to be impossible. Plus the price seems a bit much, if I can get a ready-to-use keyboard for less, that is preferred due to a hectic RL situation atm). I am probably going to look at maybe getting a Japanese Kana/english keyboard cap set in the future, so while the cap problem isn't fatal, but important for now since importing takes forever.

I don't know if this is too little or too much information, I could really use some help and testimonials from other people who've used these or other keyboards. I've tried to give examples of keyboards I liked, ones I didn't and my needs.

EDIT: If someone knows a UK source for non-Cherry singles that I can try like RomerG etc, I would appreciate that.

EDIT2: Felt I needed to clarify, I game A LOT, and also stream so need a quiet but good keyboard for gaming/typing.

K70 MK.2 just launched, while K95 Platinum has been out for a year, which could explain pricing being close if a local retailer is running a promotion on K95.  The K70 MK.2 has a few upgrades from the predecessor like Hardware Playback profiles, X-backplate for cable management, and the RGB logo.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

1 hour ago, Corsair Nick said:

K70 MK.2 just launched, while K95 Platinum has been out for a year, which could explain pricing being close if a local retailer is running a promotion on K95.  The K70 MK.2 has a few upgrades from the predecessor like Hardware Playback profiles, X-backplate for cable management, and the RGB logo.

Thank you for the information. The K70 LUX Mk.1 can be had for £105-£115 so that tempted me.

On 02/07/2018 at 11:26 PM, Pyrii said:

I don't know the K75, is that an old model? Because I can't find it.

BIOS support would be essential as I'm still rocking an old bios on my first gen i7. I plan to jump on the zen refresh when it comes out though. I do have USB3 tho.

Sorry, K75 was a typo. they're both K70's :)

On 08/07/2018 at 3:07 PM, OPSJono said:

Sorry, K75 was a typo. they're both K70's :)

Ah, fair enough. In the end I went with the MK750 from CoolerMaster for £100 on Amazon Prime. It's taking some adjusting to get used to a mechanical keyboard but I'm happy with it so far. I've put rubber O-rings on all the keys to help with sound while in calls and streaming as I'm still used to bottoming out. Nice features like hardware profiles and macros mean I don't need yet another icon on my desktop, comfortable wrist-rest, and readable keys with some replacements in my colour (purple) means I'm happy so far.

I am also taking some adjusting to having the number keys reversed with symbols on the bottom, but I see most cherry MX keyboards do that due to the light being at the top. I've even prided up my led bar on the bottom, even though June is over now.

olRJQzF.jpg

I'm going to leave this topic up for anyone else who might find the information useful, but thanks for the information.

I'm also keeping the key tester as a cheap fidget device, fidget cubes cost a fortune but I can stim off this nicely.

On 10/07/2018 at 6:20 PM, Pyrii said:

Ah, fair enough. In the end I went with the MK750 from CoolerMaster for £100 on Amazon Prime. It's taking some adjusting to get used to a mechanical keyboard but I'm happy with it so far. <snip>

Nice, how are the LED's configured/stored?

- Do the LED's/effects work while in BIOS (/not Windows)?

On 14/07/2018 at 5:54 PM, OPSJono said:

Nice, how are the LED's configured/stored?

- Do the LED's/effects work while in BIOS (/not Windows)?

THere's 4 profiles you can switch between by pressing FN+1-4. I think it lights up in non-windows, I did a memtest recently and it was lit up throughout.

PwPVNVt.jpg