What's the experience like on a cheap 8" Windows 10 tablet?

AlTech

So, I'm contemplating getting a cheap 8" Windows 10 tablet but almost all of them seem to have 2GB RAM.

Do any of you own a super budget Windows 10 tablet? If so, what's your experience been like? How limiting did you find the 2GB RAM?

Thanks. :)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well I have a PC that used to run Windows 10 on 2GB of RAM and I could browse the web and even play games like CSGO and League of Legends. Uninstalled Windows 10 because of the bugs early versions had.

7 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Well I have a PC that used to run Windows 10 on 2GB of RAM and I could browse the web and even play games like CSGO and League of Legends. Uninstalled Windows 10 because of the bugs early versions had.

So, if I've found a super cheap Windows 10 tablet with an Atom x5-Z3500 and 2GB RAM I should go for that?

or try to find one with 4GB RAM.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

In my experience it comes down to what your expectations are. If you're big on Windows "metro" (or whatever they're called now) native apps, those will run pretty well, as will the general windows environment. But the small screen makes using desktop apps a chore unless you constantly have a mouse attached.

The Atom processor will run just fast enough to run your apps but more than slow enough to make you reqret your life choices and toss the tablet aside whenever possible to use a faster machine. 2Gb of ram is fine for web browsing, 4 is okay for basic desktop apps, but don't expect to play anything more demanding than minecraft on lowest quality.

Overall, I don't know why anyone would punish themselves buy paying to use such a tablet. I own a Dell Venue Pro 7140 that I bought used on ebay for $180 and while it's considerably better in every way than the 8" 2Gb Atom that you're proposing, I still avoid touching it when possible.

Run away from this idea, fast, and don't look back.

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

So, if I've found a super cheap Windows 10 tablet with an Atom x5-Z3500 and 2GB RAM I should go for that?

or try to find one with 4GB RAM.

Keep your expectations in check, and even 2 GB will be fine for most things. My secondary system uses an Atom Z3735F with 2 GB of RAM, and I can even play older games such as Fable on it. Typing and browsing are both fine. Cherry Trail and newer should have much faster GPUs.

If you can find one with 4 GB of RAM for not much more though, I'd recommend getting it. Not a deal breaker if this is just a cheap beater system though.

Minecraft Java runs pretty poorly, though the Windows 10 variant runs really very well.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…