Help deciding on a car

TubsAlwaysWins

Hey guys. I am trying to get a new (to me) car. Right now i have my heart set on a Subaru WRX, and theres a couple I am looking at. One of them is an 03 with 158K on it, engine has brand new headers and all that fun stuff. The brake system is a little wonky though which means I should probably replace the entire thing if I get it. It also needs a new battery as well. There is a small oil leak somewhere from the turbo and it is dripping onto the exhaust and smoking. The guy is asking 4500 for it which I think is a little high, especially for what I need to do to the car. I think im gonna ask maybe 3000 and shoot for no more than 3500 just because of what I will need to replace. The body isnt in the best shape (just dents and stuff), but its not bad at all. What are your guys' opinions on it? Do you think I should try and make an offer on it? 

The other car I am looking at is 5500 with 180K on it. It has new tires on it, a new windshield, an new oil change, new front and rear brake pads, new o2 sensoor, a STI catback exaust, a tow hitch, and a ski rack. I will need to replace the front struts and the timing belt though. 

Do you guys think I should just try for the first, along with is that a dick move and thats just a crazy lowball (The owner said his neighbor was offering $1000) and see what price I can get it for or see about the second one? 

Thanks

Breaking things 1 day at a time

First one sounds like someone's run it hard (I wouldn't pay 3.5k for it). I'd go for the second one, but I wouldn't settle on either of these cars personally. Both the prices seem a bit steep for broken cars. I'd shop around, it's a big choice. 

WRXs are a ton of fun, but used WRXs are almost always beat on pretty hard. 

Add in the prevalence of ringland failures, especially on modified cars (which both of these are), and I would probably be looking at other cars.There is a reason there are always a pile of WRXs on craigslist with new engines. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Just now, Real_PhillBert said:

WRXs are a ton of fun, but used WRXs are almost always beat on pretty hard. 

Add in the prevalence of ringland failures, especially on modified cars (which both of these are), and I would probably be looking at other cars.There is a reason there are always a pile of WRXs on craigslist with new engines. 

I mean the engines on both are completly stock, its really just the exhausts that are modified. But yeah im trying to find good stuff lol. The second one has a pretty good serivce history so thats always a plus

16 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

I mean the engines on both are completly stock, its really just the exhausts that are modified. But yeah im trying to find good stuff lol. The second one has a pretty good serivce history so thats always a plus

Why was the windshield replaced on the second car? Could be they got into an accident. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Why was the windshield replaced on the second car? Could be they got into an accident. 

It could have been. The CarFax for it doesnt mention anything about it. He did mention some hail damage but I will ask. 

7 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

It could have been. The CarFax for it doesnt mention anything about it. He did mention some hail damage but I will ask. 

I would be concerned. If it’s not showing up in CarFax, that means any accident wasn’t reported or claimed through insurance. 

Could be nothing, but it would be a red flag to me. 

Just curious:

what is your current car?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I would be concerned. If it’s not showing up in CarFax, that means any accident wasn’t reported or claimed through insurance. 

Could be nothing, but it would be a red flag to me. 

Just curious:

what is your current car?

It was a rock chip that expanded from the cold. (Its in Colorado).

I have an 88 Honda Accord

I have a 2012 Impreza hatchback, non wrx, and I like it a lot, so the WRX should be even better. But the non wrx is great as well, and you should be able to find a newer one in better condition for the same price.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

32 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

It was a rock chip that expanded from the cold. (Its in Colorado).

I have an 88 Honda Accord

What are you going to be using your car for? Also, are you paying up front in cash?

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

What are you going to be using your car for? Also, are you paying up front in cash?

Transportation as well as a hobby. I like working on cars alot. And yes I am

1 hour ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Transportation as well as a hobby. I like working on cars alot. And yes I am

Have you test driven / rode in either of the cars?

One thing is what the seller claims and another is what you'll find out for yourself.

The proof is in the pudding.

First one likely needs a timing belt as well, 120k miles is about when they are due if I remember right, and when doing a timing belt you should do the water pump as well as they become due at about the same time and both will be accessible when doing a timing belt.

The oil leak on the first one might just be a valve cover gasket, pretty common thing and not hard to do.

My 02 WRX had an oil leak on the back of the passenger side valve cover right by the turbo that dripped onto a bit of exhaust.

The brake thing is a bit vague.

If it is just pads, rotors and calipers, not too big a deal, easy nuts and bolts stuff. If it is master cylinders and brake lines, that is where I'd check out.

With both of them, though, get'em inspected at a shop before you buy.

Talk to the owner/s and get them to let you bring them to a shop for an inspection just so you're less likely to get blindsided by some unexpected problem down the road.

It is also a great bargaining chip when negotiating price to be able to have paperwork that says X, Y and/or Z needs repair or replacing.

In Colorado, lots of cars get new windshields. Some insurance policies will even cover one every year or two-- we sand the roads and that tends to destroy windshields. That's a value-add IMO, as living with a sandblasted windshield suuuuuuuucks.

Subarus in CO though are BEAT, coming from a CO ex-Subaru owner/club guy. I would buy the lowest mileage nicest condition one you can find (generic advice, I know)-- find one that has been babied, if you can. Avoid any STi, as 100% of those have been bought and modified by flat-brim vapers. The 2L WRXs are pretty fun cars but subarus have a tendency to blow head gaskets and ringlands. If you're buying one from CO, call up Super Rupair in Boulder and ask A) what they have available/are aware of, and B) use them for a prepurchase inspection on any car in the area. They're the best independent non-race shop around.

The good news though, is that finding a Subaru in CO is like looking for an F150 in Texas or a Prius in SF. You have tons to choose from, so your odds of finding a good one are better than in Cornfarm, Bumfuckistan. You'll just look at a lot of cars to get there.

35 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Avoid any STi, as 100% of those have been bought and modified by flat-brim vapers.

absolutely true statement

Even in Texas WRXs are beat up by their owners. Even still, used ones are expensive, with head gasket problems and oil leaks! I'd be really careful when looking at used WRXs. Super fun and cool cars, but the second they leave the lot they're typically on the road to the tuning shop.

EDIT - also strangely, people seem to drive Subarus until they die. Looking on Craigslist now for WRXs, I can't find one from the early to mid-2000's with less than 210K miles. If they have fewer miles, they're above market value. That's why I ended up not buying a Subaru.

I used to be quite active here.

35 minutes ago, CoreCombat said:

just get any car with rgb 

In this case Ringland Guaranteed Breakage.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro