Using Steam Link over WiFi

Wiechu

Hi!

I recently bought Steam link and i am curious if it will work. I have 1 modem in my house and 2 routers conected to it. One conected to modem and second one to router both via cable. My main PC is Connect to router 1 (wired) and Steam Link will be Connect to router 2 (wireless). Will it work? or Steam link has to be Connect to the same router as my gaming computer? 

2 minutes ago, Wiechu said:

Hi!

I recently bought Steam link and i am curious if it will work. I have 1 modem in my house and 2 routers conected to it. One conected to modem and second one to router both via cable. My main PC is Connect to router 1 (wired) and Steam Link will be Connect to router 2 (wireless). Will it work? or Steam link has to be Connect to the same router as my gaming computer? 

TBH I dont have any experience with steam link specifically but I wonder if it would work if you changed the routers to access point mode.

It doesnt matter who wins and who loses, because in the end, the king and the pawn go into the same box.

As long as they're on the same subnet, it will work fine. If router 2 has an access point mode, enable it. If it doesn't, disable NAT and DHCP to avoid potential conflicts with router 1. 

Ok, thanks i will try this out

It should work.

But I was just using the Steam Link app on my Android TV and on my phone and it was fine. Sure, there is some delay in controlls but for most SP games its good enough.

Steam link is garbage over WiFi due to the device hardware itself.  Use an Ethernet over power line plug in and save yourself a headache.

Or.. change your WiFi to use a lower frequency so it can be picked up - which can also interfere with other things.  Phones usually like channel 11 cause it doesn't really interfere with other devices.

While the steam links wifi... yeah - use channel six and clear some debris in the way of it.

Background - I have a sonic wall and an AC router(not a cheap one at that).  I get about a 500ms(best) to 43000ms delay, making dead by daylight or any other game played on it damn near unbearable without an ethernet connection.  I should also note that my router is directly above(6 ft) my steam link.

Better solution would be to RTP server your pc's screen to an elgato on a linux box and then stream it wherever you needed for 0 latency.  but eh'.

On 6/24/2018 at 6:58 AM, Oshino Shinobu said:

As long as they're on the same subnet, it will work fine. If router 2 has an access point mode, enable it. If it doesn't, disable NAT and DHCP to avoid potential conflicts with router 1. 

Just like @Oshino Shinobu said, it has to be on the same subnet.  The reason is Steam link network discovery is not smart.  It doesn't let you to manually enter a static IP of your gaming PC.  If that option is available and your network is configured properly then it wouldn't matter if it is on a different subnet.

Other than that, I think it should be okay as long as you have good wireless signal.

2 hours ago, beyonddc said:

Just like @Oshino Shinobu said, it has to be on the same subnet.  The reason is Steam link network discovery is not smart.  It doesn't let you to manually enter a static IP of your gaming PC.  If that option is available and your network is configured properly then it wouldn't matter if it is on a different subnet.

Other than that, I think it should be okay as long as you have good wireless signal.

Even if it has a static IP, if the subnet is different, the router won't know how to get to the Steam link unless static routes are configured on the router. As far as the PC is concerned, the Steam link would be on a different network, so it would send the data to the router, which would then have to route the data to the other subnet. 

If the router wasn't configured to know how to get to each subnet, the PC wouldn't be able to reach the Steam link, even with a static IP. It needs to be on the same subnet for it to be considered local traffic by the PC.