Very inconsistent frametimes in fortnite regardless of my computers ability to run the game well

420amag

When I put game on epic settings I only am able to get 60 frames and I experience extreme spikes in frametimes (70 ms) but when I put the game on low settings and run it at 144hz the problem is reduced (50 ms spikes) but still prevalent and I am ignorant as to how to fix it so if someone would like to help me that would be greatly appricated

Amd fx 8350

Rx 480

M5A97R2.0 mobo

Msi 144hz 1080p curved screen

If any other components matter I would have to look so please inform me

Thank you in advance I'm new to the forums

What's your hard drive? Could be that the assets can't be loaded in time.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Great fix that worked for me... uninstall.

Being serious though update your graphic drivers see if that helps.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Drivers, using a HDD, having a low range GPU.

Your frame rates are expected with the FX 8350 and the RX 480.

hi.

19 minutes ago, williamcll said:

What's your hard drive? Could be that the assets can't be loaded in

it's a one terabyte disk drive that runs at 7200 rpm I can't remember or seem to find the brand but it isnt the fastest thing, and this is the first game I've had this problem in

18 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Ok I will try that

Shadows low ,medium textures, low anti aliasing ,100 for the resolution percent play with the view distance oh yeah and take of the freesync in your settings on that monitor,  Card is downclocking and stuttering because monitor is geared to run a 144mhz which is 144fps when realistically you can change it to 100  and not have the freesync trying to downclock your card on you.  Also, try fullscreen windowed mode.  

2 hours ago, Praxis727 said:

Shadows low ,medium textures, low anti aliasing ,100 for the resolution percent play with the view distance oh yeah and take of the freesync in your settings on that monitor,  Card is downclocking and stuttering because monitor is geared to run a 144mhz which is 144fps when realistically you can change it to 100  and not have the freesync trying to downclock your card on you.  Also, try fullscreen windowed mode.  

Ohh i forgot about freesync I will try that thanks

Yeah, enable freesync through the AMD Catalyst Control Center. Your CPU is also holding you back a bit. Although the GPU should be more than enough considering I can run 1440p 144hz on my own RX480

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

6 hours ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

The graphics drivers did not fix the issue but thanks for the help

You could be running to many applications in the backround for your CPU, causing stuttering. I know this was an issue for me back when I had my laptop with a 960m and 6700HQ. To many apps in the backround will cause stuttering and frame spikes, like you said.

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

FINISHED BUILD - VIEW PROFILE

If you say I'm not always right, but I am, I will say I am right. 

rekt

How much RAM do you have? It could be swapping, I'd check in Task Manager. 

5 hours ago, MrShinny said:

You could be running to many applications in the backround for your CPU, causing stuttering. I know this was an issue for me back when I had my laptop with a 960m and 6700HQ. To many apps in the backround will cause stuttering and frame spikes, like you said.

Yeah I run like 5 in the background and have relive on so I will try that

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

How much RAM do you have? It could be swapping, I'd check in Task Manager. 

I've got 16 gb

10 minutes ago, Ishjeoevru said:

I've got 16 gb

Oh that’s heaps. I’d probably run some benchmarks to see if the problem occurs elsewhere, and check the health of your hard drive.

Fortnite is still a pretty new game, so I’d send them a support ticket if you can and see what they say. It could just be buggy.

11 hours ago, Ishjeoevru said:

Yeah I run like 5 in the background and have relive on so I will try that

What programs are they? That could be your issue as your CPU is old and could be bottlenecking the GPU hard when it is at full load.

For example - If steam is taking 20%, application X is taking 35% and the game ideally needs 50% or more of the CPU, it would bottleneck the GPU and cause major stuttering.

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

FINISHED BUILD - VIEW PROFILE

If you say I'm not always right, but I am, I will say I am right. 

rekt