I5 6500 Still Good In 2018?

Go to solution Solved by Shreyas1,

Ok, since a lot of people in this thread have told me to wait for next year I guess I'll do that.

Thanks again!

So I'm considering upgrading my i5 6500 to an i5 8400, should I upgrade now or maybe wait another year or so? The most demanding tasks I do is gaming, and I'm wondering whether 4 cores still work in newer games as I get stuttering and frame drops in games like Battlefield 1. All help is appreciated! Thanks.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

It doesn't look like Intel or AMD are releasing any consumer cpus in the near future right now, but what I would do is upgrade to 16GB of RAM instead of only having 8GB since most newer games recommend 16GB now a day. Check if your RAM maxes out when you play Battlefield 1 first.

Just now, Rainbow Dash said:

It doesn't look like Intel or AMD are releasing any consumer cpus in the near future right now, but what I would do is upgrade to 16GB of RAM instead of only having 8GB since most newer games recommend 16GB now a day. Check if your RAM maxes out when you play Battlefield 1 first.

I have 16 gb. Thanks for the help though!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Just now, Shreyas1 said:

I have 16 gb. Thanks for the help though!

No problem, but one problem you might have is that you will need to get a new motherboard with that i5 8400.

1 minute ago, Rainbow Dash said:

No problem, but one problem you might have is that you will need to get a new motherboard with that i5 8400.

Yeah I realized. Though if I am going to wait for Intel or Amd to make a move, I'll need a new motherboard then anyways.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 minute ago, Shreyas1 said:

Yeah I realized. Though if I am going to wait for Intel or Amd to make a move, I'll need a new motherboard then anyways.

Yeah, guess you are better off saving anyways for something way much better.

17 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

So I'm considering upgrading my i5 6500 to an i5 8400, should I upgrade now or maybe wait another year or so? The most demanding tasks I do is gaming, and I'm wondering whether 4 cores still work in newer games as I get stuttering and frame drops in games like Battlefield 1. All help is appreciated! Thanks.

Not worth unless you plan to buy gtx 1080 ti or buy the next GPU chipset...

6500 is still pretty decent in 2018

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

33 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

When youre playing games

is your cpu usage maxed out while your gpu is NOT maxed out? then yes you would benefit from a better cpu

if the games and application you use will benefit from more threads - consder upgrading to a i7 6700 ir i7 7700 - that way you dont have to upgrade the cpu AND mobo

Photography / Finance / Gaming

4 minutes ago, mok said:

When youre playing games

is your cpu usage maxed out while your gpu is NOT maxed out? then yes you would benefit from a better cpu

if the games and application you use will benefit from more threads - consder upgrading to a i7 6700 ir i7 7700 - that way you dont have to upgrade the cpu AND mobo

Both my CPU and Graphics Card hover around the mid 90s. As for the 7700k, I have considered upgrading, but the price between that and upgrading the CPU and motherboard is small so I might as well just upgrade to an 8400 instead.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

31 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Both my CPU and Graphics Card hover around the mid 90s. As for the 7700k, I have considered upgrading, but the price between that and upgrading the CPU and motherboard is small so I might as well just upgrade to an 8400 instead.

dont get the K variant, because then youre unable to overclock on your b150 mobo

i meant specifically the non-K versions

if you sell your i5 for 150, and buy a used i7 6700 for 200 (just for example....) it may be worth it

Photography / Finance / Gaming

What if Intel changes motherboard for 9400? lol then you are screwed and 6 cores aren't that much faster than 4 cores. They are like 4 core 8 threads that's why 7700 and 8400 are a lot similar in performance.

Wait 1 more year IMHO

Main system (Mini itx 80mm)

i5-7500 | Asrock h110m | Noctua L9i | Realan H80 Case | 8GB 2400 Ram ADATA | M600 SSD | 500 GB Seagate

Other System (Laptop)

i7 3632QM | Toshiba | 8GB Corsair VS RAM | Sandisk SSD PLUS | 500GB Toshiba HDD

I have one and im surely saying no. I see its getting sold still for around 200€ here which is pure scam. You're better off with the 8400 or any damn ryzen cpu. 4 core i5's are a joke now.

EDIT oh you mean upgrading (bad title). I'm planning to upgrade also to a ryzen 2600X when the B450 mobo's come out. It's bottlenecking in newer games already and such

10 minutes ago, michaelbelgium said:

I have one and im surely saying no. I see its getting sold still for around 200€ here which is pure scam. You're better off with the 8400 or any damn ryzen cpu. 4 core i5's are a joke now.

EDIT oh you mean upgrading (bad title). I'm planning to upgrade also to a ryzen 2600X when the B450 mobo's come out. It's bottlenecking in newer games already and such

Do you think I should just stick with it for another year though and maybe upgrade it next year?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

11 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

No, you should wait a year or two.

And going from Intel to another Intel makes less sense right now.

If you want to upgrade, a 2700 would make more sense than the 8400...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Don't get the 8400.

image.png.862e3d00ad0ced02672a5a72886178e9.png

The 8500 has better base and boost speeds than the 8400 and it has better features illustrated below...

image.png.5b2e947d42c5c2f608403fa2905b7b5b.png

You can get the 8500 cheaper than the 8400 on Newegg's Ebay page here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/292468646827?vectorid=229466&lgeo=1&item=292468646827&rmvSB=true or you can source the link from here http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8500-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8400/m447884vs3939

Bolivia.

In truth you dont NEED to upgrade your 6500 just yet because it is on par with 2018's entry lvl gaming CPUs

image.png.06f1bf732846255443f33103f1785f2e.png

you could wait for next gen... 

Bolivia.

1 hour ago, Shreyas1 said:

Do you think I should just stick with it for another year though and maybe upgrade it next year?

It rly depends what you do with your PC. I use like virtual machines and stuff and about games i like to play simulation games and open world games, I also have 2 monitors so I do "multitasking" aka doing stuff next to playing a game or next to programming. But I rly can't stand the 100% cpu usage and the stuttering/fps drops in my games when I, for example, watch a normal youtube video next to it.

To be honest, ask for yourself if u can wait. If you say you mostly game on your pc ask If you're fine with lowering your game settings if needed, close background stuff while gaming, anything that can lower your cpu usage.

@SupremeGOAT the i5 8500/8600 shouldn't even exist, the 8400 is enough. The price difference between them is pure scam for some extra cpu core boost or whatever. It's useless. 

EDIT the price difference between 8400 and 8500 is +/- 20 € and for what? for an extra 0,2 ghz baseclock and an extra 0,1 boost clock - like wtf? 20 € for that?

Not worth it. I would consider at most buying a used 6700k/7700k depending on if the last one is supported. 

8 minutes ago, michaelbelgium said:

the i5 8500/8600 shouldn't even exist, the 8400 is enough. The price difference between them is pure scam for some extra cpu core boost or whatever. It's useless.

Scam or not the 8500 is cheaper and performs better than the 8400 which results in the 8500 being a better value than the 8400. Blame Intel for pulling an INTEL value is value in my eyes.

Bolivia.

6 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Not worth it. I would consider at most buying a used 6700k/7700k depending on if the last one is supported. 

...No.image.png.ba6b6c865cb96efd8622321c2eac2fea.png

please define "worth it"

Bolivia.

26 minutes ago, SupremeGOAT said:

...No.image.png.ba6b6c865cb96efd8622321c2eac2fea.png

He doesnt need a new motherboard and possibly RAM for the 7700k.  Not to mention all the hassle removing everything and rebuilding it.

13 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Get a 7700K or 6700K and you'll be fine for a while.

Or put the big money and get a 8700k

Why upgrading to i5 8400 ? You'll face same issue you are having now in 3 years. put some more money and get something bullet proof for 5 years +

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

3 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

He doesnt need a new motherboard and possibly RAM for the 7700k.  Not to mention all the hassle removing everything and rebuilding it.

If the OP is prepared to purchase an i5 8400 I am willing to assume has DDR4 ram. The combined prices of the i5 8500 from Newegg's Ebay ($175)  and a GIGABYTE B360M DS3H from amazon or Ebay ($68) is still cheaper than a 7700k on sale.  If the OP is willing to purchase the 8400 he is willing to rebuild.

Bolivia.

Ok, since a lot of people in this thread have told me to wait for next year I guess I'll do that.

Thanks again!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler