Can I put laptop motherboard and cpu in to a ATX case?

Go to solution Solved by ThAnEb,

If you laptop MB has a wifi card, it should be mounted on a mini-pcie connector, meaning it could be possible to replace the wifi card by a full pcie x1 deported riser (allowing desktop GPU card). This kind of riser must be powered by a desktop PSU and comes with a kit to power it on and off, meaning you could also use the power of the psu to powered some extra devices (fan, 3'5 hdd etc etc).

you should also have a look to your cpu to define if it could be upgraded or not, in my case, i upgraded a core2duo t5750 to a T9300 and really see a difference for a 12euros investment.

the CPU/GPU fan of the laptop was dead, so i removed the fan and the heatsink heatpipe couple, i ordered a larger alu heatsink and a pack of copper square of different height (gpu and cpu didn't have the same height so i had to adjust with the small copper square). the alu was easy to drill and not complicated to thread according to present holes around the cpu and the gpu. I use some brace for keep the alu at the ideal space from the cpu/gpu and fill the required space with relevant cooper's square. when the matching composition is found with copper's square, thermal paste is added (on the chip, then put a cop square, then paste, then cop square and so on until the alu heatsink finally join the thermal paste). 

I didn't finish yet, so i just drop a 12mm fan on the heatsink to ensure the pc didn't get too hot (for now, the mobo is attached to brace fixed horizontally on a wood board, i think to manage the board to be positioned vertically with a square hole inside so the heatsink will go cross it, allowing a balance. vertical position would also be better for heat dissipation. Right now, I'm almost always 10degres celcius less than with the original cooling system, without noise..

the fan i use is a pc case silent 12mm fan with a 3pin connector, so i cut one old an unused usb cable and soldered it with the relevant 3 pins (only 2 used, i used the pin connector that came the the fan on a 3pins to molex adapter). but of course, if you use a pcie adapter with a pus, you could put the 12mm fan on a molex and so get it work at his max perf. I still don't know what i will do with the battery (maybe open it, test modules and repack some in order to offer a small battery to the system).

Ignore the usb disk on the fan on pictures, it's a dying one and i'm fighting to copy it's data before it really stops for ever (and so use the fan to keep it cold).

BIOS has been updated to get the intel virtualisation platform offered by the t9300 activable https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Fujitsu-Siemens-Amilo-Li2735-Phoenix-Bios

Image.jpeg

Image-1.jpeg

Image-2.jpeg

Image-3.jpeg

heatWould it be possible and could I change it's cooler to a desktop cooler. I am upgrading an old laptop. I want to add GPU (instead of Intel HD), normal CPU cooler (because my CPU was overheating), and upgrading RAM (because I have 2GB), and upgrading to an SSD (I have 500GB 5200 RPM WD Blue HDD)

The mounting holes wouldn't line up an neither would the I/O ports.

You also wouldn't be able to securely mount a desktop heatsink onto a laptop motherboard.

Just build a PC instead.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

4 minutes ago, Airpewdiepie said:

heatWould it be possible and could I change it's cooler to a desktop cooler. I am upgrading an old laptop. I want to add GPU (instead of Intel HD), normal CPU cooler (because my CPU was overheating), and upgrading RAM (because I have 2GB), and upgrading to an SSD (I have 500GB 5200 RPM WD Blue HDD)

Laptop motherboards are not standard sizes and would not line up with the mounting holes in an ATX case. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

4 minutes ago, Airpewdiepie said:

You cannot add a GPU to a laptop motherboard. I do not believe it's possible to natively add a CPU cooler to a CPU die on a laptop motherboard either, in theory you could "Ghetto mount it" with zip ties or tape, but there's no fan headers on the laptop motherboard to plug the fan into anyways. And no, the laptop will not alligned with the mounting holes in an ATX pc case.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Um.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can just upgrade a GPU in a laptop motherboard like that. Unless it has USB C for your to add an external GPU or 3.1 gen 2, you won't be able to do any of that. CPU coolers require mounting holes to keep them secured to the CPU, so you likely couldn't do anything there (I don't recommend drilling into PCB).

Also, the laptop motherboard wouldn't fit into an ATX form. I doesn't have standoffs like a desktop MB has. 

What kind of laptop do you even have? And why not just build a desktop

Ryzen 7 2700X | ZOTAC 3070 AMP HOLO | 32GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz | SeaSonic 620W PSU | ASRock B350 Pro4 | Too many SSDs

A Mac mini is a better use of resources. If you're going to be building, do it right. Board wouldn't have standard mounting anyway and would require fabrication that is ultimately a waste of time.

If you're on a tight budget and want to go PC route, buy a Dell Optiplex and toss a 1050 ti in it.

to add a gpu u can use the m.2 pcie slot to put a 'external'gpu inside the PC.

11 minutes ago, PatrickWilliams said:

to add a gpu u can use the m.2 pcie slot to put a 'external'gpu inside the PC.

This would be assuming the laptop is new enough to have an M.2 slot. Considering the listed ram is 2GB, I dont believe this laptop has been made within the time of M.2 form factors, meaning this isnt an option.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

This fixes two of your issues

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Okay, thanks everyone. But could I just stick the motherboard to the case and I'm still gonna buy PSU to power some stuff, so could I?

And I could just get the cooler on with zip ties?

25 minutes ago, Airpewdiepie said:

Okay, thanks everyone. But could I just stick the motherboard to the case and I'm still gonna buy PSU to power some stuff, so could I?

And I could just get the cooler on with zip ties?

I can't tell if this is a troll at this point... PSUs do not connect to laptop motherboards. Laptop motherboards cannot fit the formfactor that desktop motherboards fit in towers. And coolers need to be hard pressed against the CPU to cool it. 

Again, why not just build a desktop

Ryzen 7 2700X | ZOTAC 3070 AMP HOLO | 32GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz | SeaSonic 620W PSU | ASRock B350 Pro4 | Too many SSDs

I just need an upgrade and better cooling, and I don't have a lot of money

• 9 months later...

If you laptop MB has a wifi card, it should be mounted on a mini-pcie connector, meaning it could be possible to replace the wifi card by a full pcie x1 deported riser (allowing desktop GPU card). This kind of riser must be powered by a desktop PSU and comes with a kit to power it on and off, meaning you could also use the power of the psu to powered some extra devices (fan, 3'5 hdd etc etc).

you should also have a look to your cpu to define if it could be upgraded or not, in my case, i upgraded a core2duo t5750 to a T9300 and really see a difference for a 12euros investment.

the CPU/GPU fan of the laptop was dead, so i removed the fan and the heatsink heatpipe couple, i ordered a larger alu heatsink and a pack of copper square of different height (gpu and cpu didn't have the same height so i had to adjust with the small copper square). the alu was easy to drill and not complicated to thread according to present holes around the cpu and the gpu. I use some brace for keep the alu at the ideal space from the cpu/gpu and fill the required space with relevant cooper's square. when the matching composition is found with copper's square, thermal paste is added (on the chip, then put a cop square, then paste, then cop square and so on until the alu heatsink finally join the thermal paste). 

I didn't finish yet, so i just drop a 12mm fan on the heatsink to ensure the pc didn't get too hot (for now, the mobo is attached to brace fixed horizontally on a wood board, i think to manage the board to be positioned vertically with a square hole inside so the heatsink will go cross it, allowing a balance. vertical position would also be better for heat dissipation. Right now, I'm almost always 10degres celcius less than with the original cooling system, without noise..

the fan i use is a pc case silent 12mm fan with a 3pin connector, so i cut one old an unused usb cable and soldered it with the relevant 3 pins (only 2 used, i used the pin connector that came the the fan on a 3pins to molex adapter). but of course, if you use a pcie adapter with a pus, you could put the 12mm fan on a molex and so get it work at his max perf. I still don't know what i will do with the battery (maybe open it, test modules and repack some in order to offer a small battery to the system).

Ignore the usb disk on the fan on pictures, it's a dying one and i'm fighting to copy it's data before it really stops for ever (and so use the fan to keep it cold).

BIOS has been updated to get the intel virtualisation platform offered by the t9300 activable https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Fujitsu-Siemens-Amilo-Li2735-Phoenix-Bios

Image.jpeg

Image-1.jpeg

Image-2.jpeg

Image-3.jpeg