I want to close my phone and put it in its box for next year

I want to close my phone and put it in its box for next year and i dont want it to die on me so what should i do ......so should i recharge it when its battery get low or should i remove the battery and put it somewhere safe??....and my phone is j7 pro

7 minutes ago, Mohamed_jordan said:

I want to close my phone and put it in its box for next year and i dont want it to die on me so what should i do ......so should i recharge it when its battery get low or should i remove the battery and put it somewhere safe??....and my phone is j7 pro

You need to discharge your phone to 80% and then come back within 3 months and then deep cycle the phone, as in discharge it until it shuts off and then charge it up back to 100% and then discharge it back to 80%, and then wait for up to 3 months and repeat the past few steps until desired date has been reached, otherwise the battery will likely experience notable to significant degradation.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

why do you want to do that? isn't it better to sell your phone and buy a new one in the next year?

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

22 minutes ago, IAnthonyFX said:

why do you want to do that? isn't it better to sell your phone and buy a new one in the next year?

I'm gonna second this.

The Samsung J7 Pro has resale value so that'd make more sense.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

6 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

You need to discharge your phone to 80% and then come back within 3 months and then deep cycle the phone, as in discharge it until it shuts off and then charge it up back to 100% and then discharge it back to 80%, and then wait for up to 3 months and repeat the past few steps until desired date has been reached, otherwise the battery will likely experience notable to significant degradation.

Are you 100% sure?

5 hours ago, IAnthonyFX said:

Well ...cause ihave all my stuff on it and i have this year all for studying and my phone is still in perfect shape and i might use it throghut the year

2 minutes ago, Mohamed_jordan said:

Well ...cause ihave all my stuff on it and i have this year all for studying and my phone is still in perfect shape and i might use it throghut the year

huh? i do not see how this makes sense. but whatever mate, just do what the first guy said and you will be fine.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

4 hours ago, IAnthonyFX said:

huh? i do not see how this makes sense. but whatever mate, just do what the first guy said and you will be fine.

I guess OP wants to put his phone away during his studies to resist the temptation of playing on it????

1 year of studying... things i could never do.
But I kinda understand it. Good Luck ^^

6 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

As far as I know, you don't need to "deep cycle" any more. Deep cycling is dangerous for lipo batteries. Just keep it at 80% and it should be good for a few months or even more. If it is unconnected (removed) then less likely to get corrosion on the connectors from damp etc. But best to keep it dry either way. Checking it every 3 months means it does not go down to 0% and get stuck/die. You can top it back up to 80% if it starts to get low.

(I think it's only lead batteries that need deep cycling) https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Sure

No point taking out the battery. When the device is off it won't draw from the battery, but the battery will still discharge slowly.

The self-discharge rate of Lithium batteries is extremely low. For a year at about 50% charge, Li-Po cells lose about 1-2% charge every month. The self-discharge rate further slows as the charge drops. Certainly enough to last a year in storage with little worry.

*Minor edit to add more detail*

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

18 hours ago, Mohamed_jordan said:

Are you 100% sure?

Yes Li-Ion batteries like sitting between 30% and 80% of their capacity, if left at a higher or lower percentage for a long period of time they will degrade the Anode and Cathode at a far more rapid rate, they also do not like sitting around doing nothing for long periods of time, if they remain unused for extended amounts of time then they will become stagnant and will refuse to react when they are called to discharge, and vice versa, that is why many battery manufacturers recommend that you deep cycle your batteries on a regular basis, even though it takes ~2.5 years for a Lithium Ion battery to discharge. Now if you want to play it even safer, you can recharge it in small increments of 10-15% so as to reduce the heat and there by further reduce the degradation of the Anode and Cathode.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

13 hours ago, TechyBen said:

As far as I know, you don't need to "deep cycle" any more. Deep cycling is dangerous for lipo batteries. Just keep it at 80% and it should be good for a few months or even more. If it is unconnected (removed) then less likely to get corrosion on the connectors from damp etc. But best to keep it dry either way. Checking it every 3 months means it does not go down to 0% and get stuck/die. You can top it back up to 80% if it starts to get low.

(I think it's only lead batteries that need deep cycling) https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

Yeah it is very dangerous to deep cycle to 0% that is why the phone has safeties built in so as to prevent it from reaching dangerous levels of power, in reality even when the phone dies it the battery still has 5-10% of it's capacity remaining. Also do not under any circumstances deep cycle a lead acid battery below 40% or on some units 50% doing so can greatly corrode the cathode and anode, or possible even permanently destroy the battery.

On 11/06/2018 at 2:07 PM, Zexion said:

1 year of studying... things i could never do.
But I kinda understand it. Good Luck ^^

Thanks man