Ducky Shine 3 or new Corsair RGB?

I love LED backlit keyboards and I was considering getting a second one some time next year. Would you guys recommend waiting for the new Corsair partnership with Cherry rgb switches? Or do you think the price difference will be over $100?

As much as I'd love a keyboard where every key can be any color, $300 for a keyboard is kind of hard for me to justify to myself.

Also, how does the Ducky software compare to the one with Corsair keyboards?

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

One isn't out and the other is constantly low on stock, pick your poison.

I think waiting for the corsair keyboards is the best option, then deciding, I like my corsair k70 it's a very well made keyboard 

Corsair 650D, i5-4690K (Corsair h50 cooler), Asus ROG maximus VII Ranger, Asus GTX 980ti Strix, 16GB Corsair Vengeance pro series Red (2x8gb 2400mhz), Corsair HX850W, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sennheiser HD595 / Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 250 ohm, Samsung 850 pro 128GB / WD black/blue/green, OCZ vertex 3 60gb . Corsair M40/Corsair k70.

$300 is ridiculous for a keyboard. I'm having a hard time justifying spending $150 for a DS3 or K70. :-/

I doubt it'd be that much more than the current K70. I can't see it passing $160. Granted it has a feature that is unique to it and in demand. But with Ducky and the competition offering so many colours to begin with, it's not a feature worth a $150 premium. My mouse has RGB LEDs and I haven't changed their colour since I got it. 

I'd say go for the Shine 3. Corsair tend to only use red switches, and the Shine 3 comes in so many colour configs, there must be one you like + more switches.

Ducky Shine 3

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

I'd say go for the Shine 3. Corsair tend to only use red switches, and the Shine 3 comes in so many colour configs, there must be one you like + more switches.

That's one of the things I'm waiting for, it was said they'd start with reds only and move onto other switches but I prefer tactile switches.

I doubt it'd be that much more than the current K70. I can't see it passing $160. Granted it has a feature that is unique to it and in demand. But with Ducky and the competition offering so many colours to begin with, it's not a feature worth a $150 premium. My mouse has RGB LEDs and I haven't changed their colour since I got it. 

I'm getting a nzxt hue LED strip for my case so I thought it'd be fun being able to get my keyboard to match my case all the time or come up with different settings.

Not coming in blue or brown switches would be a deal breaker for me though. And I hope you're right with the pricing! Ducky Shine 3s go for those prices as is.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

alot of people are just babbling randomly without providing sources.

$300 corsair rgb?  what on earth did you get that number from?

did they say that each switch is customizable independently?

what amkes you think that corsair won't add all collr switches at once?  you don't have enough data to say that it's a trend that corsair is red-only-first.

if you need the board now, get the shine 3.  it's a great board.

otherwise, if matching is important to you, then wait for the corsair; you'll save alot of time and money from not buying a new board for every collr theme.

alot of people are just babbling randomly without providing sources.

$300 corsair rgb?  what on earth did you get that number from?

did they say that each switch is customizable independently?

what amkes you think that corsair won't add all collr switches at once?  you don't have enough data to say that it's a trend that corsair is red-only-first.

if you need the board now, get the shine 3.  it's a great board.

otherwise, if matching is important to you, then wait for the corsair; you'll save alot of time and money from not buying a new board for every collr theme.

Well the $300 just came from me asking if anyone thought this new feature would make it $100 more than a Ducky Shine 3, which can go for close to $200 in ebay.

The video Cherry released had each of the WASD keys changing individually, and I think the belief of there being reds only at first comes not so much from the fact that most Corsair keyboards only come in reds, but the fact that Cherry is only showing their red switches with the rgb casing.

http://www.cherry.de/MX/EN/technologie-en.html#/modules/mx-rgb-red-level

But as you've said, there's still lots up in the air so I'm at the very least waiting until CES next year. Thanks :)

Can't find the source where I read it, but Cherry has granted Corsair exclusive rights to use the RGB switches for 1 year. So it won't be until 2015 til you'll see other manufacturers incorporate RGB switches.

If you need the RGB, wait for the Corsair. Seems pretty simple. 

It's pretty much impossible to say how good a product that hasn't been released will be. Companies products can flop, or be radically different than what they have out now.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Shine 3 is the go-to keyboard for a high-quality, LED backlit keyboard with lots of fun LED options 

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

Well the $300 just came from me asking if anyone thought this new feature would make it $100 more than a Ducky Shine 3, which can go for close to $200 in ebay.

The video Cherry released had each of the WASD keys changing individually, and I think the belief of there being reds only at first comes not so much from the fact that most Corsair keyboards only come in reds, but the fact that Cherry is only showing their red switches with the rgb casing.

http://www.cherry.de/MX/EN/technologie-en.html#/modules/mx-rgb-red-level

But as you've said, there's still lots up in the air so I'm at the very least waiting until CES next year. Thanks :)

it's definitely possible (and they SHOULD) have each key with it's own independently changing color, but it's really hard to trust companies to make simple decisions.  this would NOT be the first time marketing has lied.

seriously, don't trust that link on providing correct info.  they didn't even show the switches correctly; they just changed the color of the stems.