Recommended Build for 4k Video Editing Adobe Products

Go to solution Solved by bdp productions,

Alright, Guys So I bought and built the system. Here is what I decided on. 

Rosewill Gaming RBR-1000MS Power Supply
$139.99
Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro 4K 
$199.00
ARCTIC MX-4 - Thermal Compound Paste
$6.74
Seagate 2TB FireCuda Gaming SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drive) - (ST2000DX002)
$84.99
NZXT S340 Compact ATX Mid-Tower Case with All-Steel Panels - Matte White + Purple
$69.99
MSI Gaming Radeon RX 580 256-bit 8GB GDRR5 
$319.99
WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB PC SSD - WDS500G2B0B
$109.78
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)
$187.99
 AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler  &
 AORUS Gaming x470 MB Combo Pack

Everything So far worked flawlessly. I had it built and running in about 3 hours. Frames for Gaming are at 60fps + For the 2 games I usually play wich is Arma 3 with mods and all Expansions. Also Universim wich is in alpha still but fun to play. 

Rendering Times I haven't tested yet. But It encodes amazingly in OBS. Flawless 1080p youtube stream. Loving Life.. Will Update on Video Rendering Times. 

So I need to build a 4k Video Editing rig and have a budget of 1,200 USD. Ryzen from what I understand does not play well with Adobe products? So perhaps i-7 Builds? I have used intel for a long time after being turned off of the idea of using amd. My last intel build was amazing. My last AMD Build... Not so much to many errors and issue. 

Cant wait for all the suggestions.

Thank you In Advance.

What kind of 4K footage? 24/25/30/60/or even higher frame rates? What kind of Codecs will you be getting? Will it be enough to transcode proxies and edit them? Does it have to be the original footage that you're editing with? What programs will you be using? Only Premiere? or some After Effects too?

Answering those questions will enable us to give you a better build

16 minutes ago, bdp productions said:

So I need to build a 4k Video Editing rig and have a budget of 1,200 USD. Ryzen from what I understand does not play well with Adobe products? So perhaps i-7 Builds? I have used intel for a long time after being turned off of the idea of using amd. My last intel build was amazing. My last AMD Build... Not so much to many errors and issue. 

Cant wait for all the suggestions.

Thank you In Advance.

you can't really afford new i7, better up your budget if possible 

Something like this should do the job decently. I'm assuming you won't store the files in the computer, but externally. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($298.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.1 CFM CPU Cooler  ($17.90 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($154.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($197.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($189.00 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox 5 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: BitFenix - Formula Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1067.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-05 18:39 EDT-0400

:)

20 minutes ago, bdp productions said:

Do you need to do any gaming or streaming? They previously added better support for ryzen, seems to be more recent that more major issues have been happening, may be adobe or windows updates on that end. I prefer Vegas in any event so there's no monthly fee.

And what's your monitor set up? What resolutions/refresh rates?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

14 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Something like this should do the job decently. I'm assuming you won't store the files in the computer, but externally. 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($298.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.1 CFM CPU Cooler  ($17.90 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox 5 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: BitFenix - Formula Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1067.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-05 18:39 EDT-0400

Thank you for your response. I will start with these. I might spend a few extra dollars though on getting a 1080. I budgeted 1000 just for the Motherboard, Ram, CPU, CASE, PS, ect... This is an excellent place to start! Thank you

1 minute ago, bdp productions said:

Thank you for your response. I will start with these. I might spend a few extra dollars though on getting a 1080. I budgeted 1000 just for the Motherboard, Ram, CPU, CASE, PS, ect... This is an excellent place to start! Thank you

Do you know the workflow well enough to know if you need a much stronger GPU for CUDA acceleration?

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Do you know the workflow well enough to know if you need a much stronger GPU for CUDA acceleration?

We are just starting out. We will basically be creating Youtube Videos, Promotional Material, And TV Commercials. 

We are not making Crazy Fancy Edits or After effects however it would be nice to be able to do some of that stuff if we need to in the future. 

We also plan on using this for filming with the software VMIX. 

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Do you need to do any gaming or streaming? They previously added better support for ryzen, seems to be more recent that more major issues have been happening, may be adobe or windows updates on that end. I prefer Vegas in any event so there's no monthly fee.

And what's your monitor set up? What resolutions/refresh rates?

So what your saying is that I wont have to worry to much about amd if i opt to go that route?

28 minutes ago, FStopDesigns said:

What kind of 4K footage? 24/25/30/60/or even higher frame rates? What kind of Codecs will you be getting? Will it be enough to transcode proxies and edit them? Does it have to be the original footage that you're editing with? What programs will you be using? Only Premiere? or some After Effects too?

Answering those questions will enable us to give you a better build

we are shooting footage with a Canon 80D and a Sony - Handycam AX33 4K 

Audio is being captured by a Tascam HAndheld

Not sure wich codec yet but most likley will be exporting to multiple formats. We will probably be using transcode proxies to edit. We dont need major detail in the editing because I only see us using chorma key as the largest resource and even then thats easy right?

Just now, bdp productions said:

So what your saying is that I wont have to worry to much about amd if i opt to go that route?

It's still Adobe, but Ryzen, especially 2nd gen, does fine.

Just get that Memory timed really well.

NVMe drive is probably the only truly important part, as long as you have at least 6c/12t to handle encode aspects.

6 minutes ago, bdp productions said:

Likely fine either way, but what about the other questions? do you guys already have 4K monitors? No gaming? Probably don't need proxies exactly, should be able to just reduce the quality of the preview window.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It's still Adobe, but Ryzen, especially 2nd gen, does fine.

Just get that Memory timed really well.

NVMe drive is probably the only truly important part, as long as you have at least 6c/12t to handle encode aspects.

I was definitly getting a NVMe Drive. Will also be putting a 2 TB Drive in for extra storage for recording other stuff on the desktop and for using VMIX

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Likely fine either way, but what about the other questions? do you guys already have 4 monitors? No gaming? Probably don't need proxies exactly, should be able to just reduce the quality of the preview window.

The system will only need 2 monitors.  We are adding a 2 Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro 4K HDMI PCI Express Capture Cards as well. So I am assuming I will need a Motherboard that can handle that as well as a 1080TI and A power SUpply to support it all?

7 minutes ago, bdp productions said:

I was definitly getting a NVMe Drive. Will also be putting a 2 TB Drive in for extra storage for recording other stuff on the desktop and for using VMIX

Good.

3 minutes ago, bdp productions said:

The system will only need 2 monitors.  We are adding a 2 Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro 4K HDMI PCI Express Capture Cards as well. So I am assuming I will need a Motherboard that can handle that as well as a 1080TI and A power SUpply to support it all?

How many lanes do those capture cards run on? As I think you just said you need a HEDT platform.

4 minutes ago, bdp productions said:

We are adding a 2 Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro 4K HDMI PCI Express Capture Cards as well

You might want a threadripper system in that case for the 60 extra PCI-e lanes...Not sure but it probably wouldn't hurt

Spoiler

The 4K Capture cards require at least a x4 PCIe slot. So that's at least 3 x4 slots (x8/x16 count). NVMe will eat up a x4 lane as well. That's 12 lanes.

You can run any modern GPU at x8 lanes and it should be fine, but you'll need to look at the specific motherboard's manual for the wiring. Some slots will knock out the NVMe slot.

8 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The 4K Capture cards require at least a x4 PCIe slot. So that's at least 3 x4 slots (x8/x16 count). NVMe will eat up a x4 lane as well. That's 12 lanes.

You can run any modern GPU at x8 lanes and it should be fine, but you'll need to look at the specific motherboard's manual for the wiring. Some slots will knock out the NVMe slot.

I believe that they are a minimum of x4 PCIe

So I should find something with a minimum of 30 lanes?

19 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You might want a threadripper system in that case for the 60 extra PCI-e lanes...Not sure but it probably wouldn't hurt

60 Lanes seems a bit Extreme.

21 minutes ago, bdp productions said:

I believe that they are a minimum of x4 PCIe

So I should find something with a minimum of 30 lanes?

Your options are 20, 24, 28, 44 or 60. Though the 20, 28 & 44 allow for devices to read like there is 24 more, but they can't run at full speed.

Main thing on the Mainstream platforms would be the lane assignments on the motherboards.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Your options are 20, 24, 28, 44 or 60. Though the 20, 28 & 44 allow for devices to read like there is 24 more, but they can't run at full speed.

Main thing on the Mainstream platforms would be the lane assignments on the motherboards.

Ok, so wich processor, ram, and Motherboard meet the 60 lane requirements? 44 lane requirements? 

I think once I have these 3 components figured out I know where to go from there. 

Thank you so much for all the info and help. Definitely coming back to this forum again!

4 minutes ago, bdp productions said:

Ok, so wich processor, ram, and Motherboard meet the 60 lane requirements? 44 lane requirements? 

I think once I have these 3 components figured out I know where to go from there. 

Thank you so much for all the info and help. Definitely coming back to this forum again!

I'm trying a few things, sec.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x3NPJ8

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor  ($469.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus - TUF X299 MARK 2 ATX LGA2066 Motherboard  ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT - Source 530 ATX Full Tower Case  ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master - 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1516.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-05 20:11 EDT-0400

This is fully in the "I'm not sure I'd suggest this, and you probably want to find someone with some experience using these" range.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QqNPJ8

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1900X 3.8GHz 8-Core Processor  ($449.50 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S TR4-SP3 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($69.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard  ($323.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master - 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1579.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-05 20:14 EDT-0400

The problem, in this range, is you really want to go up in CPU tier, but that gets really, really expensive. The "better buys" on the HEDT platform are the AMD 1950X and Intel i7-7900X, but those are ~900USD cpus.

I'd probably start looking at lane assignments on motherboards in the desktop space.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x3NPJ8

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor  ($469.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus - TUF X299 MARK 2 ATX LGA2066 Motherboard  ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1516.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-05 20:11 EDT-0400

This is fully in the "I'm not sure I'd suggest this, and you probably want to find someone with some experience using these" range.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QqNPJ8

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1900X 3.8GHz 8-Core Processor  ($449.50 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S TR4-SP3 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($69.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard  ($323.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1579.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-05 20:14 EDT-0400

The problem, in this range, is you really want to go up in CPU tier, but that gets really, really expensive. The "better buys" on the HEDT platform are the AMD 1950X and Intel i7-7900X, but those are ~900USD cpus.

I'd probably start looking at lane assignments on motherboards in the desktop space.

Thank you so much for your help. I have a good idea of what I am looking for and looking at now. You rock!

35 minutes ago, bdp productions said:

Gives you headroom and room to expand, say if you ever need more GPUsfor a render farm, or want a 16 or more core CPU for editing while rendering, or doing some handbrake encoding while rendering...Or need a bunch of hard drives in the machine.

Granted things start to get kind of pricey.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gjvfdX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gjvfdX/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1900X 3.8GHz 8-Core Processor  ($449.50 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MA621P TR4 53.4 CFM CPU Cooler  ($62.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X399-A EATX TR4 Motherboard  ($315.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Sniper X 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($350.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Black 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($154.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GT 1030 2GB Phoenix Fan OC Video Card  ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake - Core X9 ATX Desktop Case  ($149.72 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($96.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1670.81

For example, an actual use case for TR here, granted the same idea likely doesn't apply to you guys.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bdp productions said:

Thank you so much for your help. I have a good idea of what I am looking for and looking at now. You rock!

I'm not sure I'd recommend either of the builds, to be honest. But if you're going to need Lanes, it's something to think about.