POLL To Remove Background Music In LTT Videos

Do you like the background music or prefer voice only in LTT videos?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the background music or prefer voice only in LTT videos?

• I like the background music
    • I prefer voice only with no background music

I've always loved LTT videos. The content is phenomenal, the quality is stellar. Recently, though, they've begun putting background music in all their videos. I find them to be unbearable to watch now, and I've literally stopped watching them entirely because of this. It's really disappointing to me, because I loved watching them.

Does anyone else feel this way? I'm sure some people like the music, but I personally want them to go back to voice only. How do you feel?

I wouldn't necessarily want the background music removed. Turning it down will help, but hearing just Linus' voice for 7 - 10 minute videos gets a bit annoying. It is fine as it is right now.

hi.

Yes. Background music is something brand new on LTT. 

Edit: also by sampling random videos over the last year all of them had background music.. So yeah recent videos.

Unless it is well placed and done well enough to be transitional it's not ok. The problem is most sites use it in a way that is nothing but distracting and annoying.

I for one can't stand it in info vids as it is seldom done correctly and ultimately takes away from the experience. If I want to listen to music I will go watch a vid of music or have my own tunes running in the background..

Passmark 4507

Time Spy   3837

Fire Strike   11287

As long as the music itself isn't louder than the voices, I don't care.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

With the informational parts of videos, they need to do the music well, or not at all. A few weeks ago there were a few videos which I think were ruined by overly loud and non-matching background music. I haven't noticed anything in more recent ones, so maybe they're improving there.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 hours ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

I've always loved LTT videos. The content is phenomenal, the quality is stellar. Recently, though, they've begun putting background music in all their videos. I find them to be unbearable to watch now, and I've literally stopped watching them entirely because of this. It's really disappointing to me, because I loved watching them.

Does anyone else feel this way? I'm sure some people like the music, but I personally want them to go back to voice only. How do you feel?

Turning it down than removing it is better

Volume. Unless we are talking about a teaching/education or narration to the viewer only part, then music for entertainment is fine. Provided it's easily able to make out the speech over the music.

Those with reduced hearing, or hearing anomalies (tinnitus) may find the music difficult to filter out though. So we don't want dubstep blearing away while Linus/Riley/others talk about how to not break your pc when... did they say paste under or over the CPU? ;)

I also realise LTT videos are not educational as such, so a small amount of mood setting... ahem... theme setting music is fine.

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

to the 47% of you:

37%, at time of posting.

I'm actually surprised there's that many that want the background music gone. If they upload a video without background music I think it will be far more noticeable.
In theory background music shouldn't be noticeable if you're not looking for it. Of course everyone watches things at different volume levels, on different devices, and different set ups. You'll often see them apologising to headphone users when Luke laughs loudly in to the mic on the WAN show, but what about us speaker listeners? Do our ears not matter!?

Background music doesn't annoy me, but

Spoiler

Don't click the spoiler if you don't want the magic of teleprompters ruined for you

Spoiler

Once you see it you won't be able to unsee it. You've been warned.

Spoiler

ever since a few months ago a user posted a question about why Linus touches his hip during videos, and since I couldn't help but notice it every time he does it. Drives me crazy now. To the asshole who pointed that out, screw you. Screw you man.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

KEEP THE MUSIC

Seriously though, 33% want to get he music removed? That's actually not negligible...
Maybe they should use other music or just turn it down a little.

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

I can understand that background music contributes (sometimes without viewers realizing) to the "feel" of the video, or helping with viewer retention, or making the videos recognizable as coming from a particular channel or brand.

So i wouldn't vote for disabling music completely.

It wouldn't hurt to be lowered volume in some places in videos, sometimes it is too loud.... especially if users have some weird 5.1 systems which convert stereo to 5.1, resulting in music sounding louder and voice being mapped only to front/left+right channels or stuff like that.

Maybe for floaplane members you could have a secondary audio track (like commentary track) without background music, it wouldn't add much to the bandwidth, the guys could safely use Opus 64-80 kbps stereo for "mostly voice" sound track.

Then let people select the track in player or have them download the video and choose the second track when viewing the video.

Good background has been found to help with things like concentration, comprehension, and many more. If used properly I don't see a single reason to remove it. How it's used is for another discussion. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

37%, at time of posting.

I'm actually surprised there's that many that want the background music gone. If they upload a video without background music I think it will be far more noticeable.
In theory background music shouldn't be noticeable if you're not looking for it. Of course everyone watches things at different volume levels, on different devices, and different set ups. You'll often see them apologising to headphone users when Luke laughs loudly in to the mic on the WAN show, but what about us speaker listeners? Do our ears not matter!?

Background music doesn't annoy me, but...

I already noticed the hip tapping... so why blame others. ;) I've no idea why someone cannot do the teleprompt for them... get a local college student in or something?