How to stop automatic download updates in Windows 10

pajpaj
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,
11 hours ago, pajpaj said:

While I am playing, it justs automatically updating, how can I stop it?

All you have to do is configure Windows 10.

• Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Change Active Hours. Set a period of time where you don't want Windows to restart on you

• Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options. Enable "We'll show a reminder when we are going to restart...." (this will allow you to pick a time or restart later). You can also differ update by days with the options bellow on this section, if you don't want to get update "day 1".

• On the same page as above, you'll find at the bottom "Delivery Optimization". This option may also be found under Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, depending on the version of Windows 10 you have installed right now. To reduce internet traffic from downloading update, you can disable P2P, or make it local to your home network to reduce internet traffic from having each PC download it from MS servers. (this is for those who don't have unlimited internet). Under the same section you also have "Advanced Options", which allows you to add download and upload throttling to when update are acquired, to avoid eating up all your connection.

• Then, go to Start > type: Maintenance, and select "Maintenance and Security". On the panel that will appear, expand "Maintenance", and click on the blue link "Change maintenance settings", and pick a time where your system is turned on, and you allow Windows to do its maintenance (which includes checking for updates, beside ensuring your PC operates fast and responsive).

Keep in mind that:

• If you delay the installation of Windows Update too much, the OS will ignore all your settings, and force the update, even if you are doing a presentation in front of millions of people. It doesn't care. So it, in a way, it forces you to maintain your PC properly. Image your car warning you that it is due to an oil change when 10% is left, and you ignore it, let it run down to 0%, and still ignore it, as "You need to drive to places". and then when the motor detects that it doesn't operate correctly, instead of braking down, it self drives before it gets that bad to the closest dealership to get the oil change. Of course, in this case, your PC won't brake. but you'll carry security issues that Microsoft really wants to fix as this is the best way to fight online attacks, making the web safer, and make support easier for the company as they only need to deal with 2 versions. Latest, and the previous one, and not 20 of them.
6 minutes ago, pajpaj said:

When I am play, it justs downloading updates, how can I stop it?

You can't.

Unless you have the right version where you can stop the update until you deem it acceptable.

At best you can only defer it, but sooner or later it will install and reboot, whether you are busy or not.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026834/windows-10-defer-upgrades

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Windows 10 PRO I believe, you might be able to find a registry hack but I think Pro allows you to disable if I remember correctly.

unplug it from the internet. 

but yeah welcome to the future. where your pc is now microsofts personal data terminal design to download updates until one of them cripples it. fun fun

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

11 hours ago, pajpaj said:

While I am playing, it justs automatically updating, how can I stop it?

All you have to do is configure Windows 10.

• Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Change Active Hours. Set a period of time where you don't want Windows to restart on you

• Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options. Enable "We'll show a reminder when we are going to restart...." (this will allow you to pick a time or restart later). You can also differ update by days with the options bellow on this section, if you don't want to get update "day 1".

• On the same page as above, you'll find at the bottom "Delivery Optimization". This option may also be found under Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, depending on the version of Windows 10 you have installed right now. To reduce internet traffic from downloading update, you can disable P2P, or make it local to your home network to reduce internet traffic from having each PC download it from MS servers. (this is for those who don't have unlimited internet). Under the same section you also have "Advanced Options", which allows you to add download and upload throttling to when update are acquired, to avoid eating up all your connection.

• Then, go to Start > type: Maintenance, and select "Maintenance and Security". On the panel that will appear, expand "Maintenance", and click on the blue link "Change maintenance settings", and pick a time where your system is turned on, and you allow Windows to do its maintenance (which includes checking for updates, beside ensuring your PC operates fast and responsive).

Keep in mind that:

• If you delay the installation of Windows Update too much, the OS will ignore all your settings, and force the update, even if you are doing a presentation in front of millions of people. It doesn't care. So it, in a way, it forces you to maintain your PC properly. Image your car warning you that it is due to an oil change when 10% is left, and you ignore it, let it run down to 0%, and still ignore it, as "You need to drive to places". and then when the motor detects that it doesn't operate correctly, instead of braking down, it self drives before it gets that bad to the closest dealership to get the oil change. Of course, in this case, your PC won't brake. but you'll carry security issues that Microsoft really wants to fix as this is the best way to fight online attacks, making the web safer, and make support easier for the company as they only need to deal with 2 versions. Latest, and the previous one, and not 20 of them.