Normal Tempreture for I7-4970

Hello Guys,

Yesterday i have replaced my lower CPU was G3250 with better one which is I7-4790 (non K), i am having a confuse about the Temp of CPU since the moment i placed the Newer CPU and heat somehow for what i am seeing is high!

the PC when idle will be have temp between 36~40 and by using it from goes 50~70 (not gaming) is this is normal or i have made something wrong with it? sometimes hit 75+.

i was not hitting 45 degree with the Pentium processor (G3250) even while using it, i think max degree was like 43

please refer for these snap shots of PC Specs and resources,

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1lteslxiw/

Kindly note that when i took the pics today i was opening intentionally many programs and making Scan with windows defender to test it out. and i do not have dedicated GPU.

Thanks,

4 minutes ago, Letme said:

Hello Guys,

Yesterday i have replaced my lower CPU was G3250 with better one which is I7-4790 (non K), i am having a confuse about the Temp of CPU since the moment i placed the Newer CPU and heat somehow for what i am seeing is high!

Thanks,

Welcome to the forums!

To keep it simple, your i7-4790 is much more powerful than your G3250, and as such it produces a LOT more heat. It's perfectly normal your your usual temperature to go up! And dont worry, 75ºC is a perfectly safe temperature to operate at. As long as it's not above 90ºC, you should never have any issues with performance

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

The chip you have now has both a higher clockrate and 2 more cores, so it's going to produce much more heat at stock speeds. Those temperatures sound normal for a stock cooler, is that what you're using?

Ryzen 7 2700X  ASUS X470 PRO  16GB 2400Mhz Crucial Ballistix SAPPHIRE RX 580  970 EVO  Dark Rock PRO 4  Dark Base PRO 900

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Welcome to the forums!

To keep it simple, your i7-4790 is much more powerful than your G3250, and as such it produces a LOT more heat. It's perfectly normal your your usual temperature to go up! And dont worry, 75ºC is a perfectly safe temperature to operate at. As long as it's not above 90ºC, you should never have any issues with performance

Thanks for the quick reply,

i know that it is more powerful but was having the concern and wanted to clear it out, was telling myself that if not gaming and hit this mark how it will goes while playing game in future i hope.

under 90C and you are good. 75C is no problem though it sounds like you have quite a small cooler, like the Intel stock one

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Nas said:

The chip you have now has both a higher clockrate and 2 more cores, so it's going to produce much more heat at stock speeds. Those temperatures sound normal for a stock cooler, is that what you're using?

yes stock cooler, and to be honest this is the cooler that came with G3250, when i got the 4790 i got it from a friend so no cooler with came with it because it was installed in a pre built tower from lenovo.

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Welcome to the forums!

75C during normal use seems pretty high to me. Might just be Intel's bad stock cooler.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

75C during normal use seems pretty high to me. Might just be Intel's bad stock cooler.

so after market stock cooler would make an improvement?

Just now, Letme said:

Definitely. But if you buy one, don't go with the Hyper 212 EVO or it's other variants, Cryorig makes better value coolers, and if you feel like spending big bucks, buy something from the Dark Rock series.

Ryzen 7 2700X  ASUS X470 PRO  16GB 2400Mhz Crucial Ballistix SAPPHIRE RX 580  970 EVO  Dark Rock PRO 4  Dark Base PRO 900

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I had assumed Stock cooler, as it should be enough for a non K variant of intel's coolers.

5 minutes ago, Letme said:

Yes, but only to temperatures. The chip will perform the same at 50ºC or 75ºC

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

7 minutes ago, Nas said:

Definitely. But if you buy one, don't go with the Hyper 212 EVO or it's other variants, Cryorig makes better value coolers, and if you feel like spending big bucks, buy something from the Dark Rock series.

If you're on a budget, the 212 does a good job keeping an overclocked 4770K cool.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, Nas said:

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

I had assumed Stock cooler, as it should be enough for a non K variant of intel's coolers.

i do not think i will spend extra money on this rig, especially that i do not even have a GPU still. i am thinking to buy new rig after Dec 2018 i assume with Coffee Lake for example. Or do you think that my setup still solid to buy a decent gpu?

image.png.ab1d80a13c6678dc736464ea67a615ce.png

1 minute ago, Letme said:

i do not think i will spend extra money on this rig, especially that i do not even have a GPU still. i am thinking to buy new rig after Dec 2018 i assume with Coffee Lake for example. Or do you think that my setup still solid to buy a decent gpu?

The 4790 shouldnt be a bottleneck (meaning it would hold your card back from operating at it's best) to most GPU's, like the Nvidia GTX1060 6gb or AMD RX580 8gb. So you should be able to use it as a gaming CPU for a while :) (I'm a 4790K owner and I havent found a need to upgrade my CPU from a gaming perspective)

the 6gb of ram is going to be much more of a problem then that cpu.. 

24 minutes ago, Letme said:

and to be honest this is the cooler that came with G3250

that could be bad, if you are gaming and stuff make sure to monitor the temps to make sure it won't go too high. 

14 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If you're on a budget, the 212 does a good job keeping an overclocked 4770K cool.

the 212 is fine in my opinion. i have one of those on one of the Xeon X5650's in my rig, and it does it's job fine. never goes above 60 degrees...  and it's mounted with zip-ties so not the best mounting hardware...

18 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

but 50ºC would make it last longer, and should be better for the components around the cpu as well. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

but 50ºC would make it last longer, and should be better for the components around the cpu as well. 

The CPU is designed to operate under 84ºC, so the CPU itself will last as long as it's able to stay under that temperature range (there are original 1st gen i7's still going strong many years later)

Components around the CPU will get warm no matter what, even with a liquid cooler on it. 

Image result for motherboard thermal test

14 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

The 4790 shouldnt be a bottleneck (meaning it would hold your card back from operating at it's best) to most GPU's, like the Nvidia GTX1060 6gb or AMD RX580 8gb. So you should be able to use it as a gaming CPU for a while :) (I'm a 4790K owner and I havent found a need to upgrade my CPU from a gaming perspective)

mmm, like for how many? a year(s)? i think while jumping to new rig, might take the GPU with me then? what do you think?

4790 on idle with the stock cooler will be around 45-55.  Under load, maybe 70-85.  Even with a 20 dollar air cooler, it should drop to 38-42 on idle because Intel CPU coolers are just trash.  

44 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It does, but it's silly to get one when spending 5-10 dollars more can get you a better cooler.

Here are some examples of the temps I get with my 4790K within a mITX chassis utilizing a Noctua NH-D9L (full specs in profile)

From Idle to Gaming are listed

Room temp 24C

4790k.PNG

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.

1 hour ago, Letme said:

mmm, like for how many? a year(s)? i think while jumping to new rig, might take the GPU with me then? what do you think?

It's hard to say. Intel and AMD are finally starting to add more cores to their systems, which means eventually game developers will start utilizing some more of those cores in games. Right now most games usually require only 2-4 cores (not including hyper threading) with only some triple A titles using more than that like Battlefield. However, for 6 and 8 core gaming PC's to become "common" will take a few years as many people aernt upgrading just yet, so game developers wont start trying to support something not everyone has (SLI and crossfire is a good example)

I thaught my Temps were high I removed thermal paste re applied the tiniest dot and it improved 4-7 c worth a shot to try this. I guess I o/d'd the first go around. I still get wonky idle Temps 33-45 but at 100% load I haven't hit 80c yet with a 4.9 oc 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

It's hard to say. Intel and AMD are finally starting to add more cores to their systems, which means eventually game developers will start utilizing some more of those cores in games. Right now most games usually require only 2-4 cores (not including hyper threading) with only some triple A titles using more than that like Battlefield. However, for 6 and 8 core gaming PC's to become "common" will take a few years as many people aernt upgrading just yet, so game developers wont start trying to support something not everyone has (SLI and crossfire is a good example)

True, i remember when AMD was betting on getting more cores long ago and still that did not happen like expected/predicted.

Like I said i might buy GPU then if the need to get a new rig was a must i will take it with me.

thanks for all the information.

Did you put on fresh paste, or did you just re-use what was on there?

75C isn't too bad per others although I would expect that at 100% load at stock speed such as running the Intel XTU tool.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

26 minutes ago, beersykins said:

Did you put on fresh paste, or did you just re-use what was on there?

75C isn't too bad per others although I would expect that at 100% load at stock speed such as running the Intel XTU tool.

i don't have thermal paste so i just fixed the fan on the existing one (Old).

and what actually is Intel XTU tool and how to check it?

7 hours ago, Letme said:

Hello Guys,

the PC when idle will be have temp between 36~40 and by using it from goes 50~70 (not gaming) is this is normal or i have made something wrong with it? sometimes hit 75+.

i was not hitting 45 degree with the Pentium processor (G3250) even while using it, i think max degree was like 43

please refer for these snap shots of PC Specs and resources,

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1lteslxiw/

Kindly note that when i took the pics today i was opening intentionally many programs and making Scan with windows defender to test it out. and i do not have dedicated GPU.

Thanks,

those temp are fine

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync