Invalid IP address problems

monjessenstein

Hey guys, I've been having an issue where my pc will randomly disconnect from the internet and stay disconnected until I shut the router of and turn it back on again. I'm connected via ethernet, and have the latest drivers for my mobo. I tend to get an "invalid IP address" message when I run troubleshooter when the internet is not working anymore.

Thanks for your help!

4 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

Hey guys, I've been having an issue where my pc will randomly disconnect from the internet and stay disconnected until I shut the router of and turn it back on again. I'm connected via ethernet, and have the latest drivers for my mobo. I tend to get an "invalid IP address" message when I run troubleshooter when the internet is not working anymore.

Thanks for your help!

Do you have a router modem combo?

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Not for this pc, I run it from the router to an 8-way splitter into the PC. Already checked if the splitter was the problem, but directly connecting ot the router doesn't solve the issue.

2 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

Not for this pc, I run it from the router to an 8-way splitter into the PC. Already checked if the splitter was the problem, but directly connecting ot the router doesn't solve the issue.

Go into Windows (I don't know the exact place, but its the network settings in control panel) IPV4 config and change the IP address to something that's one digit off from your router's IP. Example: an xfinity router will use 10.0.0.1 on the local network. set you IP to something like 10.0.0.2 (if you have an xfinity router.) Use a subnet mask like 255.255.255.255 and leave the last field blank. This has worked for me to fix issues with wonky internet.

Me when
me when I'm driving
whataburger???

Ok I think that this might be your issue. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, Planeguy102 said:

Go into Windows (I don't know the exact place, but its the network settings in control panel) IPV4 config and change the IP address to something that's one digit off from your router's IP. Example: an xfinity router will use 10.0.0.1 on the local network. set you IP to something like 10.0.0.2 (if you have an xfinity router.) Use a subnet mask like 255.255.255.255 and leave the last field blank. This has worked for me to fix issues with wonky internet.

Or just try doing a factory reset of your router

Firmware update might also work, since this sounds like a router issue

If that doesn't work, just yell at your ISP until they send a technician or new router.

Me when
me when I'm driving
whataburger???

2 minutes ago, Planeguy102 said:

Just did this, gonna see if that helps otherwise I'll start looking at the router itself. In the meantime gonna wacth the techquickie vid :P.

Just now, monjessenstein said:

Just did this, gonna see if that helps otherwise I'll start looking at the router itself. In the meantime gonna wacth the techquickie vid :P.

I don't know if that'll work, because the subnet mask actually needs to be 255.255.255.0 (oops)

Me when
me when I'm driving
whataburger???

Just now, Planeguy102 said:

I don't know if that'll work, because the subnet mask actually needs to be 255.255.255.0 (oops)

Welp was working with it at 255, but I guess I'l lset it to 0 for now.

2 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

I just said that because 0 works for me, although there are actually quite a lot more combos with the whole 255 thing.

https://www.iplocation.net/subnet-mask

Edited by Planeguy102
link

Me when
me when I'm driving
whataburger???

25 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

A subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 would give you internet access, but would prevent your machine accessing any other machines on your network. The standard home subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 since it allows up to 254 IP addresses on the same subnet from the router, and devices on the same subnet will have the least problems communicating.

You may wish to reconsider using an IP address so close to the routers without doing additional configuration. If the IP address you choose is a low value, and is within the range of DHCP allocations, you may cause more problems than you solve. For example, if you turn your pc off, that IP address will become available again for allocation to other devices. If a wifi device or ethernet device connects once that IP address is released, that device will be assigned that IP address if it's the first available. Since at that point, you'll have set a static IP address on your ethernet connection, your machine will be denied access to the network since the IP is already in use the next time you connect.

The way to get around this is to select an IP within the subnet you have, that is not within the range for DHCP allocation - or, alternatively, set up a DHCP reservation.