Fridge cooling revisit?

War_Wizard

So, here I am driving you crazy with something you probably don't want to hear (like LED overkill).

I have an idea which MAY make fridge cooling viable.

1) Fridge (mini)

2) water reservoir that does NOT freeze

3) Industrial based closed loop  low pressure plate heat exchanger

4) water cooling system of choice

The idea is expensive, however, the main issue with fridge cooling is the lack of air flow. You design a water block inside the fridge, and use the exchanger to cool OUTSIDE the fridge where you now have airflow. Granted, the idea is probably minimal, and like watercooling has imbedded ambient temperature flux. However, its a way to make the system viable, if minimally.

The way i picture it being done is make a pc with water cooling, make the fridge, and tie the cooling system into the fridge as a booster. Not a primary cooler.

Both the fridge and the primary pc liquid cooling systems are closed loop and not tethered directly. Only through the crossover block.

That way, the primary cool is the pc as originally designed, and the fridge system isn't overwhelmed...

Granted, the idea is rather limited, but I am unable to think of a better way to make this idea viable in any other way.

The idea is similar to the way the failed water cooling PSU was designed (a link to that for reference) :

http://koolance.com/1300-1700w-liquid-cooled-power-supply

Should you need a reference link for the crossover block (heat exchanger) here is one :

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bell-Gossett-BP400-30LP-175000-BTU-Hr-Low-Pressure-BPX-Brazed-Plate-Heat-Exchanger-12689000-p?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6J7YBRC4ARIsAJMXXsfzlKX-jHfZtRVvVhfMv02sRJoI6opR0iaYlH7qss181Z6oIWPBwvkaAownEALw_wcB

If I was not a poor military veteran on a limited income, I would make the system myself and post more viable data on it. Perhaps you can try it out and see if I'm smart or a epic fail.

You are better off just getting more radiators because the radiators you already have will always keep your liquid temperatures above ambient so there is no point in having the fridge.

Also:

- A mini fridge has only around 50-100W of cooling power which is similar to a 120mm radiator.

- The compressor in the fridge will die quickly as it is not meant to handle a constant heat load.

The mini fridge is basically just a big, loud 120mm radiator with a limited lifespan.

Using a small A/C unit and a cooler would be a more viable solution.

Refrigerators are designed to handle the occasional heat intrusion from opening the door and such but fail to cool that well with a constant heat source. For example leaving the door open or packing it full of room temp beer. It takes a long time for it to cool everything back down...and beer doesn't even produce it's own heat...

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Even air cooling the fridge radiator, isn't not really designed to run 24/7 on max.

Stuff like the compressor, evaporator, etc. also matter.

This is why phase change coolers have hundreds or thousands of watts of capacity.

Something like an industrial freezer or air conditioner would work, not a mini fridge.

At that point it would be cheaper to simply buy a phase change cooler.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I appreciate the replies.

However, I wasn't throwing this out as a end all be all.

I just felt compelled to throw an idea out for something less than ideal.

Again, thank you for the replies :)

I've thaught about this as well but my system doesn't require it so why bother? 

A stand up ac unit would work best... As you could essentially pipe the cold air into say the fan by the io plate with that fan as intake and just have cold air blown into the case. Prolly the best way to do this as similar to your idea 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.